Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional versions to Wushu sets ?

Traditional versions to Wushu sets ?

Has anyone come across classical/traditional sets that have been adapted for wushu?

does this set look familiar to anyone as having a traditional/classical relative?

chang chuan set

Has some Cha fisty elements, Shaolinsihness too. A few bits remind me of North Tai tzu. Some of it looks like modern dance. I saw a flash of Wu Bu Chuan in there too. I'd say it's a mix of stuff in one set.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I have a book that has the Cha style throughout.

It is quite clear that wu shu is drawn on heavily from this style.
    The book I have is about 30 or so years old and is called "the complete Cha Chuan" (in Chinese).

In this book i see a lot of similar stuff to Bak Sil Lum, contemporary wu shu and just about anybodies version of shaolin long fist style.

I am starting to figure that Cha was highly influential for a good period of time.

Tan Tui is also seen in the Cha style. all techniques from all roads are in the style of Cha.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Cha Fist is supposed to have some sort of major historical ties to Tai Tzu Chang Chuan too. Infact, I've had Tai Tzu masters tell me that if I couldn't find a Tai Tzu teacher, I could learn the core principals from a good Cha Fist master instead.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Thumbs up Re: Traditional versions to Wushu sets ?

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    Has anyone come across classical/traditional sets that have been adapted for wushu?

does this set look familiar to anyone as having a traditional/classical relative?

chang chuan set
    Cool Video! This is the longfist form I've been doing for a year now. However, I only know the first half. Sifu hasn't shown us the second half yet because of the ariel in it. I can only do an ariel if I do a cartwheel first. I need the momentum. But this video shows me how much more work I need to do. Thanks SC107.

Cha quan is a single style but also a system.

As a style, there are a number of weapon forms and 10 barehand routines.

As a system, it is linked with Cha , Hua, Pao, Hong, and Tan...

Meaning it has the Chaquan sets, Hua Quan, Pao Quan, Hong Quan (Da Hong quan and Xioa hong Quan), and Tan Tui.

While it is rare to find someone that knows the entire system ...that means something around 20 barehand routines and NONE except Tan Tui are what you would call basic level...you do find a number of folks that know one or two from each style and so thus have a good grasp of the system.

Chaquan as a system was probably one of the most influential sytems on contemporary wushu...it has large movements that really don't have to be modified much to fit the stylistic and artistic goals of contemporary forms...and it lends itself well to embellishment with more acrobatic techniques.

But, it DOES have a strong application base and history...its just that many don't get into that aspect enough to understand it.

anybody know where this was filmed?

the green carpet may be popular, but it sure reminds me of video footage I've seen of the shaolin wushu guan.

As a northern stylist, I really appreciate this form - very graceful yet it retains a certain power to the technique.

peace

herb ox

They're not that different.

i would agree with brad that in overall essence, traditional kungfu and modern wushu aren't hugely different in overall shape and look.

there are very few traditional kungfu people who train to fight and instead explore the artistic expression aspects of the style and stick to a lot of form work...like wushu people.

real, hard core traditional kungfu fighting skills are simply not as common as they were in the seventies and eighties. It really has become more about form and look than it is about feel.

Not saying this is the case in totality, just saying I don't meet a lot of "kungfu" fighters anymore and most of the ones who are out their "fighting" in the tourneys and such are not coming from traditional kungfu schools, they're coming from all sorts of different backgrounds other than traditional kungfu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think how "traditional" you are or not depends as much on how you train and your attitude/intent as it does in what system/style you train. I've known of a few(not many, but a few) who train modern wushu but were probably more traditional than a lot of people claiming to be traditionalists(Javonne Holmes and Rick Jacobs come to mind right away). I've also seen some traditionalists that get even more into forms competition than the modern wushu people

If someone wanted to learn modern wushu for fighting, I think they could very well do that, but they probably wouldn't be able to win any forms competition due to the increased difficulties that are required now(got to spend a lot more time on just a few really difficult techniques now, than you did just 10 years ago).

Though I think now days if someone likes what they see in modern wushu but wants to learn the fighting aspect, they should try to track down someone who knows Cha Quan, Hua Quan, etc. very well because I don't see a lot of modern wushu coaches teaching the full art anymore(a lot don't even bother with the elementary forms )

the only difference i see in modern to traditional is that modern has more jumps and flips. all the same punches and kicks and moves. so its all traditional to me. you can do wushu with different flavors too.

probably filmed in beijing or something, i know the owner of wushucentral trained over there and has connections with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

The video was filmed at the Shishahai, home of the Beijing Wushu Team. The performer don't know the name but is a junior team member.

The routine is a standardized one known as the Youth Long Fist form. It is often used in China for intermediate level Wushu students and can also be seen in China competitions. It can even be found in some of the private schools in Deng Feng county near the Shaolin temple.

Just thought I would clarify those points.

By traditional do you mean unaltered since creation?

Like the Shoalin 5 animals form.

Or do you mean like realy old.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

Originally posted by Ironwind
    By traditional do you mean unaltered since creation?

Like the Shoalin 5 animals form.

Or do you mean like realy old.
    All traditional styles can be directly traced to Moses. Everyone knows that.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.