Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake XingYi.

Hey guys, I found more clips!

http://www.whitecraneinstitute.com/a...bat/xingyi.htm

I just googled for xingyi out of the blue, and I found this. I've never seen it before. Needless to say, it doesn't look very good, at least the Pi Chuan I've seen so far.

**Ok, well some of the clips don't look half bad. The drilling fist is similar to how we do it, but it still looks external.
    Last edited by Apostol; 08-24-2004 at 06:03 PM.

Heh, this is more of a joke than a demonstration, but here:

http://home.comcast.net/~apostol/fists.avi

1. Splitting
    2. Drilling
    3. Smashing (crushing)
    4. Pounding

They all pretty much suck. Splitting is my best one.

Video help ALLOT, even for personal viewing. My gfriend shot a clip of me doing Piquan once, and instantly i saw details in my movement i wasnt aware of.
    No Pain....No Gain

I think one of these days I'll dedicate a day to a certain movement so I can get it down.

Originally posted by Apostol
    I think one of these days I'll dedicate a day to a certain movement so I can get it down.

Make it a week or more
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

Originally posted by Felipe Bido
    Make it a week or more
    Yeah, the other movements are a lot harder than splitting, so they'll be harder to learn.

So, what'd you guys think of my video? Heh...
    Last edited by Apostol; 08-24-2004 at 09:33 PM.

Looks like you're getting the movements down. Do you do much San Ti standing (in as low, but correct, a San Ti as possible) to develop root & solid body connection? That's one of the better things you can do.

Also, try practicing each fist step-by-step, without the following step, holding each position for 30 to 60 seconds. That will help to build your structure. Keep up the training!
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Hey guys, I found more clips!

http://www.whitecraneinstitute.com/a...bat/xingyi.htm

I just googled for xingyi out of the blue, and I found this. I've never seen it before. Needless to say, it doesn't look very good, at least the Pi Chuan I've seen so far.

**Ok, well some of the clips don't look half bad. The drilling fist is similar to how we do it, but it still looks external.
    *snicker* I kinda like "Bong Chuan", myself
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

So, what'd you guys think of my video? Heh...
    I'm by no means an expert, so I can't comment on your technique. Have you worked on actually striking anything (heavy bag, punch shield held by partner, etc) with the movements? I think this would help you a lot in learning how to perform the movements in a manner that will generate greater power.

Also, I noticed (most notably) in your crushing fist (but in the others as well) a lack of power in the movement caused mainly by the lack of movement in your waist/hips. I think if you loosened up that area it would help a lot. The hips and waist connect the upper and lower body and correct usage will help you bring the power from the movement of your feet up to your hands. (if that made any sense )

It takes a lot of courage to put a clip of yourself online for all to see. I applaud your bravery! Good job!
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

Yes, I've used the heavy bag and trees outside and various things. The thing that has helped the most is the standing stake training fajing drills we do in class. They help you get the correct structure.

But yeah...my fists aren't that good. I've seen a lot of Pi Chuan clips online and they never slide the foot back like we do. Why is this? Is that what they do in Shanxi? The application to that movement is grabbing someones arm and jerking them towards you using your hips.
    Last edited by Apostol; 08-25-2004 at 09:42 AM.

Apostol - For some reason, your avi file downloads, but I have no video? I tried it several times. I am using Microsoft Media Player to play it, but I am getting nothing.

So, I don't see any areas you need to improve at this point. hehe

Any help here?

But yeah...my fists aren't that good. I've seen a lot of Pi Chuan clips online and they never slide the foot back like we do. Why is this? Is that what they do in Shanxi? The application to that movement is grabbing someones arm and jerking them towards you using your hips.
    I think it has to do with the "branch" of xingyi that you learn. We also do the drawing back movement, as you describe, where I train.

-- Chang Style Novice

Originally posted by CD Lee
    Apostol - For some reason, your avi file downloads, but I have no video? I tried it several times. I am using Microsoft Media Player to play it, but I am getting nothing.

So, I don't see any areas you need to improve at this point. hehe

Any help here?
    It's a codec problem. You need the DivX 5.0 codec installed to see it.

Go to www.divx.com to download the free codec. You should see the video then, too.

-- Chang Style Novice

Also, the wave you do with your Zuan before the Zuan Punch, is something I haven't seen around too much. But all the times I've seen it, it looks like a Heng Quan with palm fist down, to hit the temple, before doing the Zuan.

FWIW
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

Originally posted by Felipe Bido
    Also, the wave you do with your Zuan before the Zuan Punch, is something I haven't seen around too much. But all the times I've seen it, it looks like a Heng Quan with palm fist down, to hit the temple, before doing the Zuan.

FWIW
    I hadn't seen that before, either... but then, I've not seen much of xingyi outside of what I've been taught in person.

-- Chang Style Novice