Thread: tips on footwork anyone?

Question tips on footwork anyone?

i already posted this but dont think it worked so here i go again. Anyone got any pointers on foot work. I just seem to feel slow and heavy on my feet im trying to get that bouncy fighting stance instead of feeling rooted to the floor. So if anyone can give a few pointers it would help thanx.

Buy a rope and do a few rounds skipping per day? Lose weight? Weights (squats, deadlifts)? Plyometrics? Sprints?

That should keep you busy for a while .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

try to put your weight on the balls of your feet.

that would be the front part of your foot, not the heel.

I too find the more common "put the weight on your heels" or "put the weight on the outer edge of your foot" slow.

especially putting the weight on the outer edge, it's really bad. You're just asking for an injured ankle.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Re: tips on footwork anyone?

Originally posted by THREE EYED LAU
    i already posted this but dont think it worked so here i go again. Anyone got any pointers on foot work. I just seem to feel slow and heavy on my feet im trying to get that bouncy fighting stance instead of feeling rooted to the floor. So if anyone can give a few pointers it would help thanx.

Wait...
    You want to get rid of that rooted feeling? Do you know how many people out there work hard to get it?

There has been correctness posted on this thread. Jump rope, stay on the balls of your feet until you thorw down, then drop. The balls of our feet are the gas, the heel is the brake.

Start with basic boxing and wrestling footowrk, then you can slowly add in some of the CMA stuff. Stick to 3 patterns or less. Anything else is just too much.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

WD stole the correct outta my mouth and I want it back.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

You're lucky I found God, Bro. 'Cause you left the door wide open on that one.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted it. I set myself up for that one
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    WD stole the correct outta my mouth and I want it back.
    *Can't ignore the opportunity, albeit late*

I didn't know the correct was a cock?

*Runs away quickly, 'cause 7* is bigger than me*
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Use your feet.

buy Dance Dance Revolution and some dance mats for the PS2 - once you get good your feet will be a blur I used to do a lot of DDR and my footwork improved for it. Plus it's a good laugh...
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

The last thing you want is "that bouncy" stuff. Look at pro heavy weight fighters .... they are very stable, very relaxed and efficient.

You want foot work? You need three things:

1) Be able to push at all times

2) Be able to pull at all times.

Basic guidelines: Make sure the bone between your hip and knee (femur?) is straight on your backside leg, but from your knee to your foot their should be a pushing angle .... like this .... / .... but steeper.

Make sure the knee on your front foot doesn't go over your toes or even your heel .... if that happens you lose pulling power.

Lastly, you want to develop a pivet type of step, but one that does not have you leaning or swaying back. You want to turn tight around the lead leg, like a bull fighter does when he swings around the cape and plunges his sword into the bull .... you'll use a hook.