Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin & Olympics

Shaolin & Olympics

A team from the Shaolin Temple will demonstrate in the closing ceremony of the Olympics on August 29.

Re: Shaolin & Olympics

Originally posted by shrub
    A team from the Shaolin Temple will demonstrate in the closing ceremony of the Olympics on August 29.
    nice, really? ill have to watch. be the only olympics i watch this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

A team from the temple is good, as long as no one starts saying that they are monks and that there has always been a team of such monks at the temple and that the monks want taiwan back etc.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

If the gymnastics announcers do the commentary, they'll definitely say something like that.

(Psychically funneling events a week into the future):

Al Trautwig: "Now, the monks are wearing orange clothing. They traditionally call this saffron. A saffron is a kind of grape."

Tim Daggett: "Call it what you will, orange or saffron, but man are those guys BALD!! Wow!"

There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

...and that the monks want taiwan back etc
    bwahahahahaha...thats pretty good man.

also, southpark sports announcers would rocksors!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by SaMantis
    If the gymnastics announcers do the commentary, they'll definitely say something like that.

(Psychically funneling events a week into the future):

Al Trautwig: "Now, the monks are wearing orange clothing. They traditionally call this saffron. A saffron is a kind of grape."

Tim Daggett: "Call it what you will, orange or saffron, but man are those guys BALD!! Wow!"

LOL.

Is this supposed demo confirmed? Where's the official scoop?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

[southpark announcer] i havent seen a china men run and jump like that since the japanese invaded manchuria in the late 30's[/southpark announcer]

oh man that wasnt toooo bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

very cool. Can we get a time on that ?

shrub

Can you tell us where you heard that? I did some web searches and all I could come up with was this.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

GENE,

the Chinese WuShu National Team was recently in Italy for 2 demos ( I saw one of them, fantastic stuff) and then they were travelling to Athens for a demo to the IOC and a, big unconfirmed (officially) rumour, a demo during the closing cerimony, obviously in the segment about the next olympics in Beijing. Now weather they are doing that demo in monk robes I don't know, but they were the current male and female wushu champs from all the various disciplines, definitely no monks there (unless they arrived in Athens separately)...

We'll see sunday night

PS, I received my 4 pairs of black feiyues, I should be right for the next 12 months or so
    Last edited by wall; 08-26-2004 at 06:25 AM.
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

schrubwall

schrub: That link didn't work.

wall: Thanks for your input and your order! We've been expecting something 'wushu' at the closing ceremonies when they do the little tribute to the next Olympics.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The extremely literal Babelfish translation of the wulin link:

The closing ceremony few forests boy steps on the stilts
    Type: Martial arts world tendency
    Clicks: 29
    Issues the person: Colorful south day
    Origin: World military network of forest belts
    Double-clicks the mouse to roll

The 8 month on 29th, the 28th session of Olympic Games will fall in Athens the curtain. At the Olympic Games meeting pennant handing-over ceremony, Beijing will have 8 minutes theatrical performance, but will come from the Mt. Songshan Shaolin Temple tower ditch martial arts school 28 young students to carry on the stilts performance.

It is reported, these 8 minutes theatrical performance total direct will be Zhang Yimou, the performance by series and so on traditional music, Chinese martial arts, children Peking opera becomes. 28 stilts team members wear extremely have the national characteristic the clothing, in the hand are selecting 28 scarlet lanterns, is performing the central area to go through the performance.

Better translation out there? Or is it really a stilts performance??
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

that tranlsates to 1:30 am Liaoning ( NE China ) time monday morning ( beginning of work week ) . I 've heard about Bejing prep activity but have no local word on the performance this ceremony. I'll take your word for it though and set my alarm. If you are wrong though, I'm pm ing you with whinge - mail for 3 weeks!!!

Ps: funny side note : just had to edit my post because because a few bai jius ( 20 ml shots of white rice wine) later spelling was kind of atrocious. Told colleague "lol.. I think this jiu's effecting my co-oridination by "that much", so these folks wonder how I got qualified to teach le yingyuea!!" Logical sugesstion : move my chair 5 dgrees right and I should end up hitting the key I intended

lol.....

i'm just going to try that and tell me if it makes a difference
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 08-27-2004 at 09:45 PM.