Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Puzzle site for you guys

MY - I'm beating my head against the wall. I kept searching on murakami - she has a few books that sound pretty interesting - I may buy "Hard Boiled Wonderland at the End of the World" - it's a techno/sci fi book with hackers and such. anyway, I found them on this page:

http://japanvisitor.com/books/fictio...ion_books.html

check out the summary of "dance dance dance" - ame's american boyfriend is **** north....he only has one arm. I bet that's our one armed skeleton right there.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

bingo. I did a search on "answer hidden in wax" because of the clues you listed ("i am the answer" and "wax")...came up with nothing. I tried "message hidden in wax" and ran across two names - xerxes and demaratus.

king xerxes of persia was planning to invade greece. there was a grecian man named demaratus who had been exiled to persia. He got wind of the invasion and wanted to get a message back to greece so they could prepare. He knew that the persians would see his message had he written it on a tablet (I guess back then, guard would check your crap as you left the city or something), so he scraped the wax off of a wooden writing tablet, etched the message into the wood, then recoated it with wax, so it looked like a blank tablet.

Xerxes - master
    Demaratus - betrayer

I think the maker of the game kinda messed up there though...Demeratus was originally greek anyway, so he wasn't betraying persia by ratting out the king...
    Last edited by SevenStar; 08-27-2004 at 09:09 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'm sure that we have to go back to the moth room and follow the Master & Betrayer path.

I can't make any connections with any of the clues we've found so far that are a tip off to "master & betrayer" I tried Jesus & Judas, didn't work.

I came across this:

on the page with the building (the dolphin hotel page) the title is ----eyes that C, Claws that CatCh---- I googled 'claws that catch', it's from the Jabberwocky. There's other stuff from the windmill page in Jabberwocky too; 'two reddened eyes', and the numbers 1 & 2.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
    Long time the manxome foe he sought--
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
    And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head
    He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
    O frabjous day! Calloh! Callay!"
    He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

It's about a fight. a battle. a war. the other reference from the Dolphin Hotel page that we haven't connected something to already is to the Agean Sea. A greek battle?

I'm reaching...
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

YOU ROCK.

those are our dudes, but that's not the story.

theres something about Damaratus asking Xerxes for advice about a war, then ignoring his advice and attacking anyway.

I'll find the story but for now, we forge on.

sweet.

www.curious3d.com

"Xerxes sent for Demaratus the son of Ariston, who had accompanied him in his march upon Greece, and said to him:

"Demaratus, I would like you to tell me something. As I hear, you are a Greek and a native of a powerful city. Tell me, will the Greeks really fight against us? I think that even if all the Greeks and all the barbarians of the West were gathered together in one place, they would not be able to stop me, since they are so disunited. But I would like to know what you think about this."

Demaratus replied to Xerxes' question: "O king! Do you really want me to give a true answer, or would you rather that I make you feel good about all this?"

The king commanded him to speak the plain truth, and promised that he would not on that account hold him in less favour than before.

When he heard this promise, Demaratus spoke as follows: "O king! Since you command me to speak the truth, I will not say what will one day prove me a liar. Difficulties have at all times been present in our land, while Courage is an ally whom we have gained through wisdom and strict laws. Her aid enables us to solve problems and escape being conquered. All Greeks are brave, but what I am about to say does not concern all, but only the Spartans."

"First then, no matter what, the Spartans will never accept your terms. This would reduce Greece to slavery. They are sure to join battle with you even if all the rest of the Greeks surrendered to you. As for Spartan numbers, do not ask how many or few they are, hoping for them to surrender. For if a thousand of them should take the field, they will meet you in battle, and so will any other number, whether it is less than this, or more."

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I googled philip k ****'s fortune cookie and got this:

DEEDS DONE IN SECRET HAVE A
    WAY OF BECOMING FOUND OUT.

I can actually tie that to "they can't escape the storm" but I think that would be pointless.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

"Like one, that on a lonesome road Doth walk in fear and dread,
    And having once turned round, walks on,
    And turns no more his head;
    Because he knows a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread. "

coleridge - rime of the ancient mariner

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

The all black pages is has more sheepman references...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

sadly can't look at it now. I'm dying to play though.

Friday afternoons at my work are rough. Will post later tonight.

www.curious3d.com

Originally posted by SevenStar
    The all black pages is has more sheepman references...
    Dayum, did I blooming lotus that sentence or what?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

hehe.. Blinglish

More sheepman. I'm gonna have to buy a copy of those two books. I like the writing style.

ok working now. really.

www.curious3d.com

Originally posted by SevenStar
    I think it's quite obvious we do more than you, as you have not figured out nor attempted to figure out any of these puzzles - heck if getting laid is too much of a challenge, there's no way you could figure out any of these...
    hey man no need to poke me with da knife
    id be pizzed off if i wasnt so sleepy
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

lots of info, no answers

First, I think I found the whole text for 'dance dance dance'
    http://yanko.lib.ru/books/lit/engl/m...dance-engl.htm

how would you like it if someone came along and picked something off of you?

which is from the Wizard of Oz. The tree said that when Dorothy picked an apple off of it.

I think there's more letters in the top right but I can't bring them out well enough.

turn up the audio -- sounds to me like "my son. they murdered my son." (the boy who died at Ijsselmeer?)

according to Phillip K. Dick, 'deeds done in secret have a way of becoming found out' was Richard Nixon's fortune. tongue in cheek of course, but may be something...

No Closet.
    wrapped in his sheep costume.
    any indication.
    boarded up from inside.
    No Bath.
    directly into the saucer.
    must\'ve slept on the floor
    worm-eatten
    Whatever became of him?
    very, old, round, set with one candle in the middle.
    walls and ceiling
    No lights.
    It was the Sheepman\'s Room
    There was barely enough room to walk.
    It wasn\'t the old hotel either.
    piles of books.
    Narrow and Cramped.
    No bed.

HTATDSENETCURDTNRHEOSEOLFH
    the sheepman didn't use punctuation and ran all his words together. not sure how that factors in but it might.

Yesterday I looked around the black page carefully and random letters come up which unscramble to "shovel up that good snow", but today I can't get it to do that again...

www.curious3d.com

We faced each other across a small table, talking. The table was very old, round, set with one candle in the middle. The candle had been stuck directly onto a saucer. And that was the entire inventory of furnish_ings in the room. There weren't any chairs. We sat on piles of books.

It was the Sheep Man's room.

Narrow and cramped. The walls and ceiling had the feel_ing of the old Dolphin Hotel, but it wasn't the old hotel either. At the far end of the room was a window, boarded up from inside. Boarded up a long time ago, if the rusty nails and gray dust in the cracks of the boards were any indica_tion. The room was a rectangular box. No lights. No closet. No bath. No bed. He must've slept on the floor, wrapped in his sheep costume.

There was barely enough room to walk. The floor was lit_tered with yellowing old books and newspapers and scrap-books filled with clippings. Some were worm-eaten, falling apart at their bindings. All, from what I could tell, having to do with the history of sheep in Hokkaido. All, probably, from the archive at the old Dolphin Hotel. The sheep refer_ence room, which the owner's father, the Sheep Professor, pretty much lived in. What ever became of him?

The Sheep Man looked at me across the flickering candle
    flame. Behind him, his disproportionately enormous shadow played over a grimy wall.

www.curious3d.com

Thumbs up Re: lots of info, no answers

Originally posted by Ming Yue
    First, I think I found the whole text for 'dance dance dance'
    http://yanko.lib.ru/books/lit/engl/m...dance-engl.htm

how would you like it if someone came along and picked something off of you?

which is from the Wizard of Oz. The tree said that when Dorothy picked an apple off of it.

I think there's more letters in the top right but I can't bring them out well enough.

turn up the audio -- sounds to me like "my son. they murdered my son." (the boy who died at Ijsselmeer?)

according to Phillip K. Dick, 'deeds done in secret have a way of becoming found out' was Richard Nixon's fortune. tongue in cheek of course, but may be something...

No Closet.
    wrapped in his sheep costume.
    any indication.
    boarded up from inside.
    No Bath.
    directly into the saucer.
    must\'ve slept on the floor
    worm-eatten
    Whatever became of him?
    very, old, round, set with one candle in the middle.
    walls and ceiling
    No lights.
    It was the Sheepman\'s Room
    There was barely enough room to walk.
    It wasn\'t the old hotel either.
    piles of books.
    Narrow and Cramped.
    No bed.

HTATDSENETCURDTNRHEOSEOLFH
    the sheepman didn't use punctuation and ran all his words together. not sure how that factors in but it might.

Yesterday I looked around the black page carefully and random letters come up which unscramble to "shovel up that good snow", but today I can't get it to do that again...
    you're awsome - I got most of these, but didn't find the code in the sheepman page and couldn't make out anything other than 'murdered' and 'son' in the audio. Perhaps the 'you are not on the path' message is to let us know that that page means nothing in this quest other than to throw us off if we're not paying attention.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter