Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the truth?

What is the truth?

What is the truth?

The truth is something you seek and you shall find.

A Christian said truth is love. Without love for oneself and others, people and everything will be in ruins. God has the greatest love for us, Everything is a manifestation of God's love.

A Daoist said truth is nature. You study the nature and the way the nature works. And people are part of nature. We certainly would follow the way(s)/truth of nature.

A Buddhist said truth is that everything is impermanent. Your consciousness is permanent. That is the only truth.

What is your answer?

MY UNDERSTANDING OF TRUTH
    By John Chambers

"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
    -- T. S. "BUTCH" ELIOT

"My first thought was, he lied in every word."
    -- ROBERT "SUNDANCE" BROWNING

The gunslinger is the truth.

Roland is the truth.

The Prisoner is the truth.

The Lady of Shadows is the truth.

The Prisoner and the Lady are married. That is the truth.

The way station is the truth.

The Speaking Demon is the truth.

We went under the mountains and that is the truth.

There were monsters under the mountain. That is the truth.

One of them had an Amoco gas pump between his legs and pretending it was his *****. That is the truth.

Roland let me die. That is the truth.

I still love him.

That is the truth.

When is a door not a door? When it's a jar, and that is the truth.

Blaine is the truth.

Blaine is the truth.

What has four wheels and flies? A garbage truck, and that is the truth.

Blaine is the truth.

You have to watch Blaine all the time, Blaine is a pain, and that is the truth.

I'm pretty sure that Blaine is dangerous, and that is the truth.

What is black and white and red all over? A blushing zebra, and that is the truth.

I can't go home again unless I find a stone a rose a door and that is the truth.

Choo-choo, and that is the truth.

Choo-choo. Choo-choo.

Choo-choo. Choo-choo. Choo-choo.

Choo-choo. Choo-choo. Choo-choo. Choo-choo.

I am afraid. That is the truth.

Choo-choo.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Truth is a mater of perception, perception is a matter of perspective, perspective is a matter of truth.
    And that’s no lie, but what is a lie?
    “It is not a lie if you believe it to be true.” George Constanza.
    “Never tell a lie unless lying is your only strong point.” Buddy Odom.
    “Some people will lie even if the truth sounds better.” Oldman Scruggs.
    “The best way to tell a lie is the make everyone believe you would never lie.” F. Wood
    “You should never tell a lie to someone who knows the truth.” J. Boss.
    “When all else fails and you can’t run, lie.” J. Boss

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Truth is a tough one to define.

I had a few professors who said we base our belief systems on objective moral truths that we can't possibly prove exist.

I used to think gravity was truth but recent developments in physics demonstrate that the familiar behavior of gravity may only be a local phenomenon.

Fighting on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics have a lot in common. They are both exclusively for the Retarded. Anon

Among the many proud moments of my life was having my discipleship posted on Mantis Cave and one of the funniest was when I saw how they mis-spelled it. Moi

Greetings..

Truth is the experience itself, not the words, labels or thoughts that describe it..

We may each experience exactly the same event and the event was undifferentiated.. yet, in our conceptualization of it we conceive according to our individual preferences and prejudices.. and, we communicate with even less precision.. so, the truth is unlikely to be accurately conveyed in conventional ways.. The most effective communication is to point someone to the same or similar experience and be forgiving if their understanding differs from yours..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Originally posted by Sang Feng Fan
    I had a few professors who said we base our belief systems on objective moral truths that we can't possibly prove exist.
    I understand those professors... I don't like having a belief system that is difficult to prove. I've ended up with a practical view of life. I don't discount the benefits of 'spirituality' and what not, just that I'd rather see things uncluttered. Perhaps that can be considered truth.

Originally posted by Tak
    MY UNDERSTANDING OF TRUTH
    By John Chambers

"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
    -- T. S. "BUTCH" ELIOT

"My first thought was, he lied in every word."
    -- ROBERT "SUNDANCE" BROWNING

The gunslinger is the truth.

Roland is the truth.

The Prisoner is the truth.

The Lady of Shadows is the truth.

The Prisoner and the Lady are married. That is the truth.

The way station is the truth.

The Speaking Demon is the truth.

We went under the mountains and that is the truth.

There were monsters under the mountain. That is the truth.

One of them had an Amoco gas pump between his legs and pretending it was his *****. That is the truth.

Roland let me die. That is the truth.

I still love him.

That is the truth.

When is a door not a door? When it's a jar, and that is the truth.

Blaine is the truth.

Blaine is the truth.

What has four wheels and flies? A garbage truck, and that is the truth.

Blaine is the truth.

You have to watch Blaine all the time, Blaine is a pain, and that is the truth.

I'm pretty sure that Blaine is dangerous, and that is the truth.

What is black and white and red all over? A blushing zebra, and that is the truth.

I can't go home again unless I find a stone a rose a door and that is the truth.

Choo-choo, and that is the truth.

Choo-choo. Choo-choo.

Choo-choo. Choo-choo. Choo-choo.

Choo-choo. Choo-choo. Choo-choo. Choo-choo.

I am afraid. That is the truth.

Choo-choo.
    The Dark Tower 0\^/n5 j00!!!1
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Truth is honesty.

To be honest is to be truthful.

To be honest with yourself first.

You know what you know. That is the truth.

When you say something about what you do not know, you may not be lying, but you definately are not telling the truth, which is you do not know.

Last edited by SPJ; 08-28-2004 at 06:48 AM.

What is truth?

Truth is found in crushing your enemies

Seeing them driven before you

Hearing the lamentations of their women

==============================================

Truth is action.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Agreed.

TCB said to experience is to know the truth yourself.

Words may be misleading. Interpretations of the events may differ from different people.

Since this is the Kung Fu forum, I have to relate to MA apps, too.

The start and Gin Gong Dau Zhue in Tai Ji Quan Lao Jia.

When I first learned it, I said what the --. No punching. No kicking. No blocking.

The teacher said that you tell me. I started to think.

I started to watch my hand movements and steps.

Yes. I got it.

The start (Qi Shi) posture is to move my arms upward and then downward.

I then move them to the left and upward. I move them to the right.

My hands continue to be back to the right rear and then moved to the front. My right hand up and then down to my left palm near Dan Tien.

I complete the ball. Top, bottom, left, right, rear and front. And back.

There are more than 40 apps. The teacher did not need to spell them out for me.

All these moves may be used to neutralize incoming Jin's and to counter attack at the same time. They are continuous. There are no stop and go. No repeat. No lines. No back and forth on the same line---

Cool.

Last edited by SPJ; 08-28-2004 at 06:22 PM.

All religions or most religions not counting cults.

They seek the truth about life.

In Buddhism, there are 10 paths to avoid starting negative karma in mind, speech and body.

You are living an enlightened existence when you only think about the truth, speak of the truth and act according to the truth.

So the question is still that what is the truth?

Each religion offers its version.

What is your version?

Originally posted by SPJ
    So the question is still that what is the truth?

Each religion offers its version.

What is your version?

Well, I don't really have a religion per se - more of a philosophy on life. My philosophy? 'Reality' based - as in, what is reasonable based on all of the tried and true knowledge handed down from those about me and before me. Perhaps you could consider it a scientific method or philosophy. It chimes in rather well with most religions in it's basic beliefs, but just doesn't use any symbolism.

Rooted in practicality, that's what I'd consider it. So the truth? The truth is not to lie to yourself or others, and to understand that everything is possible, just that probabilities for any particular event vary and to try to plan for the improbable while reacting to what is immediate and what is likely.

Greetings..

Truth is often considered as an "absolute".. it is not, not when it passes through the human mind.. as an event, an experience, it has no prejudice, no interpretation, but.. thought and speech put limits on the experience.. any communication is a symbolic abstraction of the actual experience and therefore limited.. each individual will interpret each experience or each description of an experience differently, no matter how slight the difference.. So, in human relationships truth is more about consensus than absolutes..

Some people think truth is an accurate accounting of some event or experience.. even the most accurate account, the one you give yourself, is generally tainted by your own prejudices.. but, at some level, we each hold certain concepts to be true, individual truths..

Truth is what works.. it varies from individual to groups to masses.. it is a pragmatic consensus within a subjective standard.. and, it evolves with our capability to comprehend the world and universe around us..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

as regards absolute truth(s), IMO

Truth generally indicates a "practical truth(s)."
    That is, a concept or action arising from a known or unknown concept which seems to work, fit, or explain (even theoretically) one situation, or a broad spectrum of dilemmas and needs. This can be realized and practiced by an individual or group.

I keep a distance from absolutes. For me, Truth is often a label. Its allure is seductive because it is as an anchor that can lead to changes in personal perspective, which seek to make one identical with it in some fundamental way. Anchors, on a boat, are useful unless they are down all the time or too heavy for the boat to carry and inhibit its freedom.

Cody
    Last edited by Cody; 08-30-2004 at 10:08 AM.
    "The truth is more important than the facts." (Frank Lloyd Wright)
    "The weight of the sun doesn't keep it from rising." (Cody)

Ok in rethinking this, truth is a lot like love you really can not explain it. Like TCB said above you have to experience it. Of course everyone you ask will have a different understanding of truth. In the physical sense the truth is what one would consider a fact. If John waked into the other room and you say “John walked into the other room.” That would be considered the truth. From a spiritual perspective truth I think is more faith. You believe it to be true because your faith is strong. Somehow the true, truth is a combination of fact a faith. What do you believe to be the facts? All that I can understand I learn through my senses, how can I understand truth with out experience. If all I see, smell, taste, hear and feel are not truth then I can never understand truth. Reality it’s self is our interpretation of the truth that we experience through our senses. From a scientific approach the idea of light cones and life paths that make each reality an independent point in time and space you will find no way to compare your truth with anyone else’s. Sometime when driving I like to look around as the world goes by. My truck is moving at say 65mph, yet I’m sitting still. I like to think that I am not moving and that everything in the universe is moving around me. From my perspective it is my perception that I am not moving. The truth is things are not always what they seem. As mentioned by SPJ a lot of techniques are not what they seem, (since this is a MA forum) there are many moves that look like one thing but are actually are or can be something different. Many strikes have grappling application that most people do not even see and till they take on a different way of thinking, they won’t. So that leaves me with truth being a combination of things: Facts, faith, interpretation of our senses, science, coupled with our way of thinking. With all these variables it comes down to the individual… In order to understand truth outside we must look inside.
    What is truth?
    This question has no answer.
    How do you feel?
    I feel with my hands.
    What is a lie?
    A lie is simply distorting the truth deliberately.

Anyway that is my philosophical expression for the week.

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M