Thread: Welcome to the Jungle

Welcome to the Jungle

I posted on this earlier but can't find that thread now. Very weird. I'll merge this later if it turns up.

Van Damme talks about his first comedic film & that epic split
    By Gregory E. Miller
    January 30, 2014 | 10:50am
    Modal Trigger

Van Damme at the 2012 MTV Movie Awards. Photo: WireImage

Who would have thought we’d be talking about Jean-Claude Van Damme so much in 2014? In November, he rocketed back into the American conscience with a hysterical viral ad for Volvo in which he does a split between two trucks going in reverse (with Enya on the soundtrack). It’s been viewed more than 68 million times, and is also probably why he got a shout-out from Amy Poehler at the Golden Globes.

Now he’s back with his first full-fledged feature comedy, “Welcome to the Jungle,” in theaters and on demand Feb. 7. In the movie, whose ensemble cast includes Adam Brody, Kristen Schaal and Rob Huebel, Van Damme stars as a slightly crazy former Marine who leads a group of office employees on a work retreat that leaves them stranded in the jungle. The Post caught up with the hulking Belgian action star via e-mail to talk comedy, splits and Chuck Norris.

Van Damme: I have always enjoyed comedy, [and] there have been elements of comedy in several of my past films. I guess the fact that I participated in something that was primarily a comedy was based on how much I liked the script and the fact that my character was a parody of an action guy. However, are you sure it was a comedy because my agent never told me that?

Were the other actors afraid of you on set?
    Only when I was there.

There’s a lot of funny people in this movie, from Rob Huebel to Kristen Schaal. Did you ever break character because of their improv?
    There were a lot of laughs on the set. It is normal to occasionally start laughing during a take.

You take on an angry wild tiger in the movie. Did you guys become friends?
    We do dinner in Brentwood once in a while.

If you had to choose a way to die in the jungle, how would you go?
    Old age — there are some really nice jungle bungalows on the market these days.

Whom would you want to be stranded in the jungle with?
    I have been asked this before, but I still don’t understand who wants to strand me. Is this some type of conspiracy?

Did you ever expect that your Volvo ad would become such a huge Internet sensation?
    The ad was a lot of fun and really cool to participate in.

How do you stay so flexible?
    I stretch a lot, I always have.

Were you nervous to do it?
    Appropriate safety precautions were taken, and we were very careful.

Has the ad opened up new career opportunities for you?
    Only time will tell.

What did you think of Chuck Norris’ response parody?
    I was impressed — I never thought Chuck could do a split between planes.

Do you have Enya on your iPod?
    Of course.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This totally looks like it will be a fun flick.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Our latest ezine offering

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Limited release

Selected Cities

DATE CITY THEATER

7-Feb New York AMC Empire 25

7-Feb Los Angeles Noho 7

7-Feb Phoenix, AZ FilmBar

2/7 sneak and 2/14 full run Santa Fe, NM Jean Cocteau Theatre

7-Feb Grand Rapids, MI Celebration Cinemas Woodland

7-Feb Columbus, OH Gateway Film Center

7-Feb Atlanta, GA Southlake Pavilion 24

7-Feb Chicago, IL Barrington 30

7-Feb Denver, CO Highlands Ranch 24

7-Feb Dallas, TX Firewheel 18

7-Feb Detroit, MI Gratiot 21

7-Feb San Francisco, CA Bay Street 16

7-Feb Philadelphia, PA Cherry Hill 24

7-Feb San Diego, CA Palm Promenade 24

7-Feb Minneapolis, MN Inver Grove Heights
    I'll have to wait for the VOD. I'll actually be in SF this weekend, but my dance card is already full for my visit.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Speaking of Bianca...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now available on Netflix streaming...so I watched it.

Ouch. What a horrible film. Not funny. Offensive even. The Asian roles were so subservient, "*****y *****y" as James Hong used to say. I'm hypersensitive to weak Asian roles right now due to the Interview (which we can take up on some individual thread.... or not). The two Asian characters were pathetic. Aaron Takahashi (Troy) was such a toady and the Asian gal that isn't even credited on IMDB (she didn't have any lines) was subject to some really racist sexual comments. Bianca and Kristopher (JCVD's kids) had very small roles. I would have liked to see more of them as they were two of the more charismatic characters. They both look great on screen. I hope they both find better vehicles someday as they are both beautiful physically. The only consolation is JCVD himself. Even though it feels like he's just phoning this one in, he plays his role well and redeems every scene he is in. If you can just skip to the JCVD scenes, you'll extract all the value out of this film. BTW, there's no martial arts here save a kick by JCVD which would have been funnier if he had thrown his signature helicopter.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol

The forum censors CH!NK.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Ouch. What a horrible film. Not funny. Offensive even. The Asian roles were so subservient, "*****y *****y" as James Hong used to say. I'm hypersensitive to weak Asian roles right now due to the Interview (which we can take up on some individual thread.... or not). The two Asian characters were pathetic. Aaron Takahashi (Troy) was such a toady and the Asian gal that isn't even credited on IMDB (she didn't have any lines) was subject to some really racist sexual comments.
    It's really quite amazing that in 2015, the overall treatment of East Asians (males in particular) in Hollywood has not progressed much, if at all, since the 1960s. Whites, blacks, Hispanics, Middle Easterners...and now, commonly, Asian Indians...all get to play real, complex characters who are actually human. Some will point to the new Hawaii Five-O or The Walking Dead as progress, but is that the best you've got? Because the Asian males are still subservient, or still below the white characters in status/importance. Unless you're Lucy Liu or Sandra Oh, an Asian actor is mostly stuck to playing stereotypes, or in the odd Asian-themed TV episode where they drag out and dust off all the Asian actors that you don't otherwise see.

It's funny, because when I was into the acting thing, and being Asian myself, several different producers and casting directors would tell me that the hottest commodity in Hollywood right now, and what they're really looking for, is Asian male actors, especially middle-aged. To this day, I still wonder, what, if anything, would they be casting them in? Because there are a number of highly talented Asian male actors already out there, some known and some not, some out there for decades, and I don't see them cast in much, and when they are, it's a minor role as an asexual tech nerd or psychiatrist spouting facts like a robot. Maybe they need replacements for all the nerd, doctor, servant, Korean market/Chinese restaurant owner, traditional Asian dad who disapproves of his daughter dating a white man, or one of a dozen suited Asian gangsters who gets his @ss kicked by anyone/everyone. Nobody would even consider pigeonholing blacks, Hispanics, etc., as consistently and in an equivalent manner nowadays. But East Asians are seen as a soft, easy target, because they never put their foot down in a strong, unified manner that is ever taken seriously by ANYone, in or out of the entertainment industry. In essence, they're treated as inconsequentially as the characters they're given to play.

That feels better...rant mode off.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-08-2015 at 12:27 PM.

ttt 4 2016!

An update on Bianca

EQUINOX SUGGESTS YOU JOIN AN ORGY OR CULT IN PROVOCATIVE NEW ADS BY STEVEN KLEIN
    Lydia Hearst and Jean-Claude Van Damme's daughter Bianca star in the campaign, which asks consumers to commit to anything other than joining a gym.
    MARIA BOBILA JAN 4, 2016

An image from Equinox's campaign for 2016. Photo: Steven Klein

Luxury fitness club Equinox kicked off 2016 with a new campaign shot by Steven Klein, which means the seven advertisements are filled with visual story lines that touch on hot topics and star shirtless male models and scantily clad women, styled by Rihanna's stylist Mel Ottenberg. "This campaign addresses today's issues and social commentaries, which is a powerful approach instead of portraying people as superficial objects with no narrative," said Klein, who's worked with Equinox before and recently photographed Kylie Jenner for Interview.

Sticking to its tradition of provocative marketing by big-name fashion photographers — Terry Richardson, Ellen von Unwerth, Gilles Bensimon and Rankin, to name a few — Equinox urges its customers to "commit to something" for 2016. In fact, its imagery suggests that onlookers commit to anything but a membership to one of its 77 locations, whether it's participating in a multi-person romp or a woods-based cult with an all-white dress code.

The campaign also features a few familiar faces, including Lydia Hearst, who's committing to breastfeeding her twin babies in public. Jean-Claude Van Damme's 25-year-old daughter Bianca, also an actress, depicts a women's rights activist, while MMA fighter Alan Jouban dedicates his muscular physique to the sport of cheerleading. (You’ll get the idea if you spend a few extra seconds eyeing his trophy wall.) Other purported commitments include living a cat lady life and putting your money where your mouth is — in your underwear, naturally.

Check out the gallery below to see the rest of Equinox's latest campaign. You may not be motivated to get a workout in today, but, nonetheless, you'll be entertained.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Bianca

Approach her with caution! Jean Claude Van Damme's daughter is a chip off the old martial arts block

Bianca Bree, 25, grew up in the film industry watching her father, martial artist/actor Jean-Claude Van Damme preform on sets all over the world
    She also is extremely athletic due to her mother, ex-bodybuilder and fitness competitor Gladys Portugues
    Despite not using her father's last name initially, she has since had a change of heart
    These days, she is pursuing a career in acting while showing off her flexibility through Instagram postings

By JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 00:02 EST, 9 May 2016 | UPDATED: 03:01 EST, 9 May 2016

With Jean Claude Van Damme as her father - potential suitors may want to think carefully about approaching this pretty brunette.
    25-year-old Bianca Van Varenberg (her father's original name), and known professionally as Bianca Bree is the daughter of Van Damme and ex-bodybuilder and fitness competitor Gladys Portugues.
    Five years ago she appeared alongside her father at a film premier, but since that time has been largely silent, until now.

Family ties: Pictured in June 2012 Jean-Claude Van Damme and his daughter Bianca Brigitte Van Damme

Finding her way: Growing up, Bianca wanted to figure skate in the Olympics but an injury crushed her dreams

Finding her feet: For a time, she went by Bianca Bree, unsure whether to shun or embrace the family name

In 2012, she had said that she wanted to make it on her own and not use her father's last name, but four years on, her views appear to have completely changed and she now appears happy to embrace the perks that name-recognition affords.
    'I don't want to be a shadow of my dad. That's what these celebrity kids are, really – shadows of their parents. I'd rather go through struggles than have it easy. I'm going for auditions,' she told Metro a couple of year ago.
    'It's complicated,' she says. 'I always have people coming up and telling me how much they love my dad. It's nice to hear, but it's like…what does that have to do with me?' she said in a recent interview.
    Dad and director Jean-Claude is best for his martial arts skill and roles in films like Bloodsport and Timecop, but his daughter Bianca is also an aspiring actress, having appeared in some of her father's films.

Feeling fine: These days she can be found working out in the gym practicing some kick-ass moves like her dad

Aiming high: The 25-year-old is now looking to become an actress and film producer in her own right

Teenage: Growing up, Bianca told her parents that she 'hated' martial arts. She has since eaten her words!

Family business: She has co-starred in six of Jean-Claude's films and even co-produced some

His name did not always mean success however. In the 1990s, Jean-Claude admitted he was hooked on a drug habit taking 10 grams of cocaine a day.
    There were fights with paparazzi and he was reportedly in a huge amount of debt.
    He underwent several rounds of rehab and was diagnosed as bipolar before finally getting clean.
    Bree meanwhile, stayed out of the limelight until she appeared on the big screen alongside her dad in 2008 for The Shepherd: Border Patrol as the daughter of Van Damme's character, Jacques Robideaux. She has since also held roles in 2012's Soldiers and 2011's Assassination Games as Anna Flint.
    In 2011, for the reality series, Jean-Claude Van Damme: Behind Closed Doors, Bree spoke about how growing up with a famous father has impacted her life.
    'I shy away from a lot of people because I don't want them to know my life and personal issues. I just have a couple friends who are close and that is it', she said.
    Bree fell into acting by accident however when she was on set with her father and a kid was needed for a scene.
    'It just happened. I did a few films with my father then the director of UFO saw me on my father's reality show and cast me. I just went along with it. My first role was in a film my father was doing. They needed a kid, I was on set, so they gave it to me,' she said in 2012.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Looking forward: Bianca's now using her dad's stage name professionally, even as she's signed on to make some films without him

Bianca started acting, and eventually doing martial arts, alongside her dad, in 2008's The Shepherd: Border Patrol. She is now hoping to have more of a hands-on approach when it comes to taking on future projects

Getting along: 'Our relationship definitely had its ups and downs, but now we're cool. We talk and we hang out, We'll go to the gym and kick and stuff.'

Bonds: Jean-Claude burned his way into pop-culture consciousness in martial-arts action movies like Bloodsport, Kickboxer and Street Fighter, providing a comfortable life for Bianca and her brother Kristopher, now 28

She's since co-starred in six of Jean-Claude's films and even co-produced a couple of them.
    These days she can be seen showing off her flexible body - an ability she inherited from both of her parents.
    'I want to show little girls and little boys that you can be physical and feminine. That you can cross your legs at the dinner table and then kick ass in a nice, feminine way,' she told the New York Post. 'Kind of like how my father brought martial arts to the mainstream for my generation — I want to continue that legacy.'
    It's an interesting u-turn for the pretty brunette considering she spent her childhood telling her dad, who was known as 'the Muscles from Brussels,' and her mom who was a bodybuilding champion, that she 'hated' martial arts.
    The Van Dammes have had their own ups and downs however. The Bloodsport actor was previously divorced from Gladys back in 1992 before they remarried seven years later; then in March of last year she filed for their second divorce, but then appeared to call it off.
    During an interview in 2015, the actor suggested things were back on track, citing 'love' and family obligations for inspiring a reconciliation with the mother of his two children.
    'The JCVD family is still strong,' the film action hero said. 'The kids are strong, the wife is strong. There's so much divorce around the world and it's very bad for the children.'
    Bianca, who now lives in New York's West Village used to dream of being a speed-skater and to take part in the Olympics, but an injury forced her to reconsider.
    Nonetheless, Bianca appears to have inherited some of the skills that made her father infamous with incredible flexibility and crazy flying kicks.
    Speaking of her relationship with her dad these days, she admits that it has had its ups and downs, but that things are now going well.
    'We talk and we hang out, but it's not like I'm calling him being like, 'Hey Dad, let's grab a bite and talk about life.' We'll go to the gym and kick and stuff.'

Imagine what it must have been like to date Bianca as a teen, and meet her dad before going out.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Even more Bianca

She's trending right now. Imagine that.

Bianca Van Damme performs a split between benches at Midtown West's Mercedes Club. Photo: Annie Wermiel

Van Damme’s daughter is even more badass than he is
    By Anna Davies May 8, 2016 | 8:00am
    Don’t cross Bianca Van Damme.

Growing up, Bianca told her parents that she “hated” martial arts. Attire: “Brizo” top, $112 at korewear.com; Pink bikini bottom, $24.95 at victoriassecret.comPhoto: Annie Wermiel

With her wide-set eyes and pouty lips, she looks like pinup perfection…and then she leaps into a perfect roundhouse kick.

“I want to show little girls and little boys that you can be physical and feminine. That you can cross your legs at the dinner table and then kick ass in a nice, feminine way,” says the 25-year-old West Village resident. “Kind of like how my father brought martial arts to the mainstream for my generation — I want to continue that legacy.”

It’s a bold statement for the actress and film producer.

After all, she spent her childhood telling her dad, Jean-Claude Van Damme, a k a “the Muscles from Brussels,” and mom, bodybuilding champion Gladys Portugues, that she “hated” martial arts.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Jean-Claude burned his way into pop-culture consciousness in martial-arts action movies like “Bloodsport,” “Kickboxer” and “Street Fighter,” providing a comfortable life for Bianca and her brother Kristopher, now 28.

“My parents let us do our own thing. When I was young, my mom pushed me into martial arts for self-discipline. I was 7 and like, ‘I can’t stand it,’ ” Bianca recalls. “I stuck with ballet and [ice] skating.”

‘It’s never been like I’m my father’s princess.’
    - Bianca Van Damme
    Eventually, the family moved from Los Angeles to Vancouver, British Columbia. “As a teenager,” says Bianca, “I was so focused on speed skating, I wanted to be in the Olympics.”

An injury forced her to reconsider her options. “I was stuck for a while,” she admits. “My whole life was skating. Then all of a sudden, I needed to find something new.”

Bianca started acting —and eventually, doing martial arts — alongside her dad, in 2008’s “The Shepherd: Border Patrol.” Though she enjoyed the experience, she didn’t take it too seriously. Admits Bianca: “I didn’t like what I saw on-screen when I watched my first film. I realized that if this was what I was going to do, I needed to do it right.”

So she buckled down, determined to work harder the next time Dad gave her a break. She’s since co-starred in six of Jean-Claude’s films and even co-produced a couple of them. At first, she was credited as Bianca Van Varenberg — her dad’s given surname — and then as Bianca Bree (a shortened version of her middle name, Brigitte). Even as she acted alongside Jean-Claude, she felt compelled to distance herself.

One big sign that things are better between the two Van Dammes? Bianca’s now using her dad’s stage name professionally.Photo: Annie Wermiel

“It’s complicated,” she says. “I always have people coming up and telling me how much they love my dad. It’s nice to hear, but it’s like…what does that have to do with me?”

Jean Claude has been married to bodybuilding champ and current wife Gladys Portugues — mother of Bianca (top right) and Kristopher, seen here in 1994 — twice.Photo: Jean-Claude Deutsch/Paris Match via Getty Images

Adding to the complications is the baggage that comes from growing up with her last name regularly making headlines — and not all of them good.

In the 1990s, Jean-Claude has admitted, the actor worked his way up to a drug habit of 10 grams of cocaine a day.

There were fights with paparazzi, reportedly deep debt and a DUI arrest. He went through several rounds of rehab and was diagnosed as bipolar before finally getting clean.

After divorcing Bianca’s mom in 1992 and a short-lived marriage to model Darcy LaPier (with whom he has son Nicholas, now 20), Jean-Claude remarried Portugues in 1999.

Asked about her relationship with her father back then, Bianca says, “It depends on what year. Yeah, it was tough. It’s never been like I’m my father’s little girl or princess.”

She adds, “Our relationship definitely had its ups and downs, but now we’re cool. We talk and we hang out, but it’s not like I’m calling him being like, ‘Hey Dad, let’s grab a bite and talk about life.’ We’ll go to the gym and kick and stuff.”

Attire: "Brizo" top, $112 at korewear.com; Pink bikini bottom, $24.95 at victoriassecret.com Photo: Annie Wermiel
    Bianca’s certainly inherited his skills. Just like Jean Claude, she can do crazy flying kicks and spins and even a balancing split that mimics his infamous 2013 Volvo commercial.

One big sign that things are better between the two Van Dammes?

Bianca’s now using her dad’s stage name professionally, even as she’s signed on to make some films without him. And now that she’s finally embraced the family business of martial arts, daughter and father bond through competitiveness.

“I’ll agree to meet up with him and then I’ll be like, ‘Ugh, why am I here?’ I’m a perfectionist, and so is he, so he’ll always give me little critiques on my form,” she says. “He’ll be all like, ‘Look how high my kick is!’ And I’m like, ‘Dad, you can’t be serious — I’m obviously better than you!’ ”

Photos: Annie Wermiel/NY Post; Market Editor: Johannah Masters; Stylist Assistant: Cody Jones; Hair/Makeup: T. Cooper using SUDZZfx; Location: Mercedes Club, 550 West 54th Street.

If she keeps this up, we may just have to peel this off into her own indie thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How did this get by us for nearly a month?

I only post this here because this film had JCVD's kids in it, although you really have to pay attention to spot them.

Jean-Claude Van Damme's son pleads guilty after holding roommate at knifepoint
    Angela Forburger, Arizona Republic Published 5:21 p.m. ET Aug. 15, 2018 | Updated 7:17 p.m. ET Aug. 15, 2018

A redacted Tempe police body-camera video shows the arrest of Jean-Claude Van Damme's son Nicholas Van Varenberg on Sept. 9, 2017. Carly Henry/azcentral.com

Nicholas Van Varenberg, the son of actor Jean-Claude Van Damme, has pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct for holding his roommate at knifepoint at their Tempe, Ariz., apartment last year.
    (Photo: AP)

The son of action-movie actor Jean-Claude Van Damme pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct Wednesday.

Nicholas Van Varenberg, 22, was accused of holding his roommate at knifepoint in their Tempe, Ariz. apartment on Sept. 12, 2017.

According to court records, Van Varenberg was seen on a surveillance video camera punching the wall of an elevator at apartments near Arizona State University.

Tempe police were called and followed a trail of Van Varneberg's blood that led them from the elevator to the apartment. Officers left when Van Varenberg declined medical attention and the officer determined no crime had been committed, according to a police report.

Jean-Claude Van Damme with his wife Gladys Portugues at the premiere of "Expendables 2" in London in 2012. (Photo: AP)

However, police returned after a complaint of banging and yelling coming from the men's apartment. But no one answered the door.

According to a body camera video released by the Tempe Police Department, Van Varenberg threatened to kill his roommate with a kitchen knife if he opened the door to police. He also alluded to his famous connection.

"Do you guys want some fame or something or what?" Van Varenberg asked police when they went to check on the noise, the video shows.

After refusing to open the door for almost two hours, officers eventually lured Van Varenburg out of the room by having his roommate, who was able to get out of the apartment to the complex's lobby, call Van Varenberg and challenge him to a fight, police said.

Van Varenberg came out of the apartment within minutes and was arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault, unlawful imprisonment and drug possession.

He initially pleaded not guilty to aggravated assault and kidnapping charges on Sept. 26, 2017. Van Varenberg's sentencing is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Oct. 3.

The 22-year-old Van Varenberg is the youngest son of Van Damme, known for his martial arts action films of the 1980s and 1990s.

Contributing: The Associated Press
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips