Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman

Used to be? I speak truth. Superman 0\^/n5 Spiderman.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    it's as annoying and drawn out like the whole Majin-Bu episodes in Dragon Ball - Z... ya know...
    What's frustrating about the Majin=-Buu saga in DBZ is that the entire saga depends on the Z fighters making a series of increasingly stupid mistakes.

1: Everyone taking turns fighting Babidi's monsters allowing Dabura to escape and suggest corrupting Vegeta (if they had swarmed Dabura he would have been totally creamed).

2: Goku and Vegeta going off to have their match DURING the battle against the terrible forces of darkness rather than showing enough patience to save the world before their grudge match.

3: Goku holding back and drawing out the Vegeta match rather than spending the energy for ten seconds of Super 3 and dropping Vegeta like a ton of angry bricks.

4: Gohan and Supreme Kai attacking Buu's egg instead of Babidi.

5: Goku refusing to defeat fat Buu in a fight - even though he could have easily - because it "should be up to the new generation".

6: Gotenks. Gotenks being stupid and rushing into a confrontation with Fat Buu, Gotenks being stupid and allowing Super Buu time to escape, Gotenks being stupid and getting in Gohan's way (and getting absorbed) Gotenks in general.

7: Goku not using SSJ3 to trounce Super Buu when he returns to fuse with Gohan.

8: Vegeto allowing himself to be absorbed by Super Buu to rescue everyone rather than just destroying Super Buu and using the Namekian dragon balls to wish everyone back.

9: Goku forgetting that he had instant translocation long enough for Gohan, Goten, Piccolo and Trunks to get killed anyway after they rescue them.

10: Goku and Vegeta refusing to fuse into Vegeto again when they are given the opportunity to do so to destroy Super Buu.

At each one of these points the story could have been resolved if a character had made a different (and better) choice. Does anyone else find this to be frustrating? Am I missing any key mistakes made by the goodguys?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Wow, there's a geek language I don't speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Truth, Justice, And all that Stuff: Superman & Philosophy

You know i am not a real big fan of DC comics. I did though like the Batman and Superman comics.

To me the superman character will always embody what Christopher Reeves(rest his soul) did with the character. I mean wasnt "Superman" an American creation to begin with? Wasnt the character created to put forth an idealic american mindset? True Superman was a character that was a worldly arbitor. But essentially the Character is an AMERICAN one.

and even though i am a democrat liberal i still feel that American icons should be KEPT as such and not toned down to pull in foreign box office profits. Especially trying to pull in profits from those countries that dont like us very much( and rightly so in some cases).

It just seems to me that Superman isnt the Superman we once knew now because the "American Way" was taken out of the iconic statement that has been used in the comics since before the movies of this character was created.

Any thoughts???? Opinions???? Rants?????

Peace,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Well, the basic idea of the uberman is technically german, right?

To be clear, it's Neitzschean, not Nazi.

The ubermensch was the man who had advanced so far beyond the rest of man that mankind could no longer judge him.

The Nazis declared, rather differently, that "Aryans" were superior to all other races.

Considering that the Aryans were actually inhabitants of the Indian subcontinent (if memory serves) I've always found that interesting.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Nietzsche confuses me. I'm not much of an existentionalist.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Cool Hold your horses...

Well, I thought Superman was at least part if not sole Canadian creation?!

Anyway, Ultraman is way cooler and he got a huge family network too (not like the orphane boy Jo-el from Krepton).

Come to think of it Bill's analysis of Superman is pretty dead on (pun intended). Clark Kent is the alter ego of Superman. And he fancies Louis ... At the end of the day, we all look to shag the lassies, super hero or no super hero. Now, That's as Zen as it can get ....

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

The good news is that I'm not entirely certain he was either.

I think he was probably a "proto-existentialist."

His greatest contribution and most fundamental point, IMO was his determination that:

1. Values are man-made (God is dead)
    2. Because of that, we have the power to declare good and evil (and thus move beyond them).

Thus Spake Zarathustra was actually all kinds of sarcastic even to those who didn't believe in God as well as those who did - because they didn't recognize his second point, they were doomed to be constrained just as if values were commands from God anyway.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I just remember reading him in a class on existentialism back in college. I like Kierkegaard a little better, but he was quite the anal one.

Well, the latest Superman movie was created in Australia
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Superman was indeed created by a couple of canadians in canada(Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel) and exported to Cleveland Ohio where the rights were sold and the rest is history.

I honestly don't think Joe or Jerry were even mindful of Neitschze, Ubermen, Galactic men or the rest. It was just an idea that the time was right, another archetype born out of archetypes of old.

consider that it was the depression era, and everyone needed a hero.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 06-28-2006 at 07:22 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Nietzsche's superman had nothing to do with physical prowess or what ever.

To Nietzsche a superman was someone who gave everyone else something to believe in. Christ could have been a superman to Nietzsche because even though god wasn't real, Jesus gave people something to have faith in. Even if it was faith in a fantasy.

The superman recognized that morality etc was his own creation, so that's what he would do, create a value system and pass it on.

Somehow this tied into architects. Nietzsche thought they would make good Supermen, because they have the power to literally create the world we live in.

But, considering most of my understanding of Nietzsche comes from architecture classes, I could be totally wrong.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

This thread makes my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon
    I just remember reading him in a class on existentialism back in college. I like Kierkegaard a little better, but he was quite the anal one.
    I personally liked Kant. Pretty dense stuff, but once you get into it, (and have a handy supply of Advil.) makes it worth the mental gymnastics.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators