Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tension and working out

I've dug myself a little hole here. It's very difficult to explain unless you release. Not because it's complicated but because you need to be in a position to prove what's said. Otherwise it's hearsay and purely intellectual which does not help anyone.

Resistance is can be seen very clearly in Aikido. If a hand comes towards you and you push against it with your body you'll feel tension. A pushing...So when you decide to let go and simply move out of the way and allow the push to happen the tension goes.

So to put it as simply as possible. Your resisting what's happening when you do weights. Letting go of your resistance to the percieved force would make it easier and allow your body to work much more efficiently and recover rapidly.

Similar concept used when healing injuries.

From what i'm learning i'd say the internal martial artists have hit the nail on the head. But everyone likes a buff body huh?

Let's just say i completely disagree with the statement "no pain, no gain".

Well, I changed some things around in my training and come to a few conclusions.

You basically just have to find whats optimal for yourself. Balance is key. You do not want too much yin or too much yang. You want balance.

I am still going to exercise to build strength but I am not going to go overboard with it, and I probably wont do much weight lifting.

That is the balance I have found. Also, learning how to relax with your balance helps too. I am currently still working that out with myself.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Internal training doesn't let you squat or deadlift 2 or 3x your body weight.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Internal training doesn't let you squat or deadlift 2 or 3x your body weight.
    How about if you can already squat or deadlift 3x your body weight, woudl internal training allow you to squat or deadlift 3.5x your body weight?

In other words, does it help at all (power performance wise)?

Wow, Iron's been quiet lately. Got a new job Iron?

Anyway, FSY, I doubt you'd find a scientific study or even anecdotal evidence on that one. Thing is, most internal guys aren't so interested in powerlifting. So the following is just MHO: no, I don't think so. A lot of research and expenditure goes into the best methods for lifting worldwide. If internal training did help, someone would've cottoned on and all the top lifters would be using it. But then again, how do you define internal training. Heavy lifts are helped by mindset, breathing, structure, etc. What is internal training by your definition? Just some thoughts.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Originally posted by Toby
    What is internal training by your definition?
    That's one of the things I'm trying to discover. Most of my efforts w/internal training hasn't been under the direct tutelage of a 'qualified' master. I've followed a couple of courses, read and practiced from books & videos, but I haven't had any real qualified people to really check out how well I'd practiced 'internally'.

I figure I'll keep on keepin' on with what I know and with what more I can find until I'll be able to get in contact with someone really qualified who can then evaluate what I HAVE been doing and advise me.

Now as far as powerlifting, I'm into self improvement in general, and I've enjoyed powerlifting in the past - not as dedicated as a competition powerlifter, but trained with a lot of the basics. So I guess I'd consider myself someone who is somewhat a powerlifter (I have benched 3x my weight in the past ... when I weighed less ::grin: who is into 'internal' (mostly taichi, chikung, very little pakua & hsingi).