Thread: Why is it....

Why is it....

...when I pick up a MA book nowadays half of the book is about the history, and the most pointless crap is put in there.

He was a taiji sword master, but he was also a tailor and lived in a hut in a villiage where he sewed all day. He once sewed a carpet from silk that was 80 miles long, and then after that he sewed some more. He also like to sew clothing, hence he was a tailor. He learned this ancient tailoring technique for an obscure seamstress we only know as "the doctor" and this seamstress taught him the tai ji sword secrets of the flying jade monkey society.

Okay, history is cool but I think this is getting kind of ridiculous in a way. What happened to staying on topic and not trying to glorify the art with some stupid history or sales pitch.

Not all books are getting this way, but if I am going to spend 30+ dollars (and yes if its a good book I will buy it, spent 45 dollars on a bagua book once and i dont even take bagua) on a book I want little BS and more martial arts. History is written by the author, and is foulable.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

I guess because it is easier to regurgitate the history of an art without being accused of plagiarism. You'll be found out a lot quicker if you are laying claim to someone else's martial ideas and concepts.

Most taiji books are a load of old ****. Luckily the writers put pictures of themselves on the front so it's pretty easy to spot the crap.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

I find that often people only have the story, only have a history, only have "lineage" but somehow they dont have the art, or at least have very little of it.

To them the story is more important than if they can move or fight.
    At a boy Luther!!!!

This often added to help the serious student understand where certain aspects of a form may have come from. for example:
    He was a taiji sword master, but he was also a tailor and lived in a hut in a villiage where he sewed all day. He once sewed a carpet from silk that was 80 miles long, and then after that he sewed some more.
    One can plainly see that the sward master in question would be the inventpr of the world-famouse needle-sward technique. Not only can you defend yourself from attack from all sides but also from fasion fax-paz. Some kid walking down the street with thier underpants showing? You can remedy this assalt on your eyes in a way that makes the streets safe for little old ladies and ensure the kid will choose to keep us guessing as to weather he changes his drawers today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Originally posted by Becca
    This often added to help the serious student understand where certain aspects of a form may have come from. for example:

One can plainly see that the sward master in question would be the inventpr of the world-famouse needle-sward technique. Not only can you defend yourself from attack from all sides but also from fasion fax-paz. Some kid walking down the street with thier underpants showing? You can remedy this assalt on your eyes in a way that makes the streets safe for little old ladies and ensure the kid will choose to keep us guessing as to weather he changes his drawers today.
    LOL

Yup, and you can make a prada bag no problem with your tai chi seamstress skills.

I just had to rant about this seems everything is a sales pitch even people in books now.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

how does your story go?

is it:

he went to the gym

he worked on the heavy bag and sparred and lifted weights

he was carded into 5 fights and won 3 of them lost 2.

the end....

Without a story is where the boredom begins in my opinion.

Besides, have you read the Gracie story? I don't think it ever talks about specific concepts or techniques, but there is a lot about being poor and hungry and coming to america with a dream to make his family martial art well known etc etc etc.

Everybody has a story about the where's how's and why's of their martial art.

Granted, many people embellish, fib and outright lie. Indeed all stories are fallable in this sense.

But if you are "buying" a book, you should expect a sales pitch. THe author is looking for buy in from you. Like how everyone ever who wanted you to believe them needed your buy in.

Without buy in, there is nothing, because we all know the uselessness of modern and traditional empty hand martial arts and traditional classical weapons.

My Glock beats all dat fancy stuff. ..everytime, but that doesn't stop me from practicing.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Nooooooo!!! Stop putting inteligent reasoning into things! It is really a way to teach special hidden techniques to the masses in a way only the "special peple" would be able to find and use them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it