Thread: Guard tips

Guard tips

I wrote this on a bullshido thread on helping get a more offensive guard. Hope you enjoy it. PS Don't mind my crappy spelling

I didn't really read much of this thread but here are what i teach people having troubles with the guard as an offense.

A. Always laying flat on your back. This is bad. Your limiting your hip movement if your consantly stuck to the mat. Learn you lay on your sides and control them while still protecting yourself. Be almost like a constant waving ball. this will help your sweeps and set-ups. Plus it will make countering guard passes easier. Matt Thornton teaches a drill where a person stands and holds your ankles. Anytime he snaps your feet to the ground and they touch you sit up. When they come off the ground you go back to your back. Basically teaching if your feet are on the ground your off of it. If they are off the ground your on it.

B. Angles- Learning proper angles for your submissions will create more offense. When i attack on my armbars i make sure my head is close as hell to the opposite side knee of the arm i'm attacking. that g ives me the proper angle and leverage to finish. try this drill.

Have a partner on top in your guard and we're going to attack his right arm. now follow this count

Number 1. My feet go to his hips keeping tight to his ribs to prevent pull out. My Left hand grabs the top of his right forearm. My right hand goes across his throat and grabs the back of his right shoulder blade.

Number 2. Now using my left foot i push off his hip and take my head toward his left knee. While my right knee goes high under his left armpit. Grip stays the same. Now i've hit my 45 angle.

Number 3. Drag my left leg up his body never losing contact. Drag it across his face and overtop his head. Now pinch your heel down tight and take it towrd your ass making sure your not crossing your ankles.

Now look at your angle and you should finish your triangles same way.

C. Hips - Hip movement. Shrimps can be used offensively as well as a defense weapon. Constantly moving them will create better offense. Here are two drills i use

1. No hands in guard. Guy on bottom can't use his hands. They must stay behind his head all the time. the top guy just tries to pass. He must fully pass with control then start back in guard.

2. Popping your hips drill. Do your basic triangle and armbars on a partner standing. So you have to pop up to put everything on. This should be done the same way when he is on the ground. Slam your hips into him.

D. Hooks - Learn to use your feet as two extra hands. It makes your guard ten times better if you can control their legs as if your where grabbing them. I always to teach to mirror my leg position to the upperbody hooks. If my left leg is overtop their back my left arm is overhooking their arm. If my left leg is underhooking their thigh my left are is under their armpit.

I have a drill for this but i may have to try and video tape it or get pictures to explain it.

Hope this helps.

Later, Brad
    Tapped Out

Guard Tips?

How do I develop a 360 degree guard game? I have a heckuva time spinning undereath my opponent.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon