Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your Sifu/instructor spar with you?

Does your Sifu/instructor spar with you?

I hear a lot of traditional sifus have ego problems and won't spar with their students because they might lose and that would ruin their ego and the mystical ideal that surrounds the undefeatable sifu. So does your instructor spar with you?

I'm not really talking to the MMA guys, cuz I'm pretty sure all MMA instructors spar with students. Mine did (back in the good old days when I lived by a school).
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

My former sifu did not spar with the students.

Many do not. I don't know why. I think a sifu should have enough ability to regulate that they will go at the students ability level.

But if there are other students to spar with, there's probably value in that too.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My coach spars with/beats up on me every class.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Thumbs up

my sifu spars with us.
    And yeah we get beat up.

My former sparred but didn't like getting hit by his students. That's why he's "former"

My current teacher get's right in there with us. I've hit him once or twice on accident - meaning I suck so it had to be on accident and he's always been real cool about it.

I don't think I'd call what Chan Tai San did with us "sparring", it was more of a beating, abuse, torture, humiliation, wrath of the lord.....

Seriously, for a guy who was maybe 5' 6" and never probably mor than a 150, we were **** scared of him, tossing coins to see who would have to ask him about an application
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

yep -- he does on a regular basis with us instructors on weekdays. only thing, i work a regular 8-5 then teach at night, so i can't make those classes regularly.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Originally posted by lkfmdc
    I don't think I'd call what Chan Tai San did with us "sparring", it was more of a beating, abuse, torture, humiliation, wrath of the lord.....

Seriously, for a guy who was maybe 5' 6" and never probably mor than a 150, we were **** scared of him, tossing coins to see who would have to ask him about an application
    lol. That so sounds like Monkeyslap, except for the 150 pound thing.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

my sifu spars with us and doesnt have any problems, and the senior students of 10 years and stuff he seams to have no problem with. guess thats what happen when a mercenary trains you
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Our instructor lays brick all day then comes to class and beats the pho shizzle out of us.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

From an insurance and litigation standpoint it's very difficult to prove adequate supervision if you're sparring in the class
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

lol wrath of the lord
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

my sifu spars with us all the time. he have no problem sparring with anyone. he's 47 and really quick

One time a student accidentally punched my sifu in the jaw, sifu punched him back hard

Yes... If you want to call it sparring. Looks more like happless idiot against a very smooth pro, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

My internals sifu regularly throws/sweeps/slaps/bounces me round the room. I haven't done full contact with him yet, and I confess I don't want to yet, and I'm not 100% convinced as to his control.

My kendo sensei lets me beat him up sometimes, and then he beats me like that old redheaded stepchild.

My shooto teacher plays with us, when he's not crash-dieting and training for a fight or recovering from one. He's out at the mo from some knee damage from his last fight, but I don't really think it would stop him putting the hurt on most of us!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan