Thread: Hero DVD

Hero DVD

So what's the deal? Is the Hero DVD out of stock? Did Kung Fu Magazine receive a cease and desist from Miramax citing some sort of exclusive rights?

Seems like normally when an item is out of stock the site says so. Now the URL that used to be the Hero DVD page redirects to the home page.

I'd like to purchase the DVD, but can't seem to find it anywhere now.

Any info is appreciated,
    ~Jason

Re: Hero DVD

Originally posted by GeneChing
    We just got a cease and desist letter from Miramax. We will no longer be offering Hero at MartialArtsMart.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Ah. Thanks, man.

I say...

...STICK IT TO THE MAN!

A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

I'm glad I already have a copy then. Before I found the one I have (in a local store) I was going to get one off of MartialArtsMart.com. Bloody Miramax.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I'll be interested to see Miramax's DVD

I hear that it's scheduled for release for this year's holiday season - apparently there will be a dubbed version available as one of the options.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I will NOT watch Hero dubbed. I don't like dubbing.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Therein lies the beauty of DVD

Just never click that option and you won't have too. BTW, we were offered an exclusive story on the dubbing of Hero, which is how I heard about this in the first place, but we gave it a pass.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Out of curiosity...

Why did you turn down the story?

That's a fair question...

Well, in general, I felt most of our readers shared the opinion of SimonM and didn't care much for dubbing. Also, given the general antipathy here towards Miramax, I didn't feel that it would have been that interesting to our readers here. But mostly, the offer came right after we got our cease and desist, so it was sort of like "what? you want us to promote your DVD now?"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: That's a fair question...

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Well, in general, I felt most of our readers shared the opinion of SimonM and didn't care much for dubbing. Also, given the general antipathy here towards Miramax, I didn't feel that it would have been that interesting to our readers here. But mostly, the offer came right after we got our cease and desist, so it was sort of like "what? you want us to promote your DVD now?"
    Word to that!

Are we supposed to stop talking about it now?

Oh and when I saw it it wasn't dubbed at all...and I didn't notice anything cut from when I saw it a year ago. I just noticed that they added some parts.
    Such as the start of the movie giving the intro and the end where they actually said what happened at the end...they didn't do that in the china one.

ok done now...
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

dubbing

My understanding is that they are just working on the dub version now - or they just finished it - just for a extra track option on the DVD. We heard this through James Hong, who's invovled in the project and a good friend of Tiger Claw
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips