Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero takes the cake

Hero takes the cake

Hero got #1 this last weekend in the boxoffice....

granted it was only 17 mil, which is like one theatre on a busy day now that ticket prices are like a paycheck, but still, it beat out some crappy movie about a snake.

I heard they changed the subtitles a bunch.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I heard they changed the subtitles a bunch.
    Thank goodness they didn't dub it!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Pretty good. Beautiful shots and use of color, OK story line but the wire work was a bit much.

It can be done well, like when Nameless steps down to fight with the spear guy, it looked like an extended Ba Gua step ... something a true "light" master could have done 200 years ago.

But the wushu "weeeeeeee" poses as they fly over water turn my stomach.

When will somebody do this right? Look towards the Matrix for inspiration on realistic supernatural ability.

When will somebody do this right? Look towards the Matrix for inspiration on realistic supernatural ability.

WTF?

there is and should be an aesthetic rule to writing or portraying fiction. All paranormal activities should be avoided unless it can be made so plausible that whoever is watching will be convinced.
    While I did enjoy Hero, I felt it lacked a bit of luster and the flying served no purpouse to enhance the movie at times , it seemed a buit contrived. IMO crouching tiger employed a better use of wirework and made the flying if not believable more pleasing to watch. None the less Hero was still a good show. Very very good cinematography...it was excellent in that regard.

sc107

dubbed

I hear that the official Miramax DVD will be dubbed, unlike the original DVDs from China. We just received our cease and desist, which is a shame since we were just beginning to offer the Director's cut of Hero. It was only available for a few weeks here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I liked it. I have also come to the understanding that these movies are just the modern versions of all those old Shaw Bros flicks I get a kick out of. The flying around and all of that has always been a part of the genre and I don't mind.

Blog Entries
    the only thing worthwhile in that movie was the fight scene between Donnie Yen and Jet Li. More of that!!!! i don't care about a million arrows comin at you like in LOTR.

it's like buying a crappy album with one decent song.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    Hero=Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Part II.

What a snore.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................................

Thumbs up saw it the other day

i was impressed. i even think that this one is way better than crouching tiger.

My favorite scene was the battle between Snow and Moon in the Autumn Leaves. great visuals and i like the fact that snows sword kicked up a fierce wind that Moon could not get through.

all in all i thought it was a great flick. hehe course you know this movie was made back in 2002. Tarrantino is doing a good job of getting these great films seen on the big screen here in the USA.
    Kudos to him for that.

PEACE,,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I love the old school movies. But the wire work was mostly, 'Here comes the guards, let's go," and they hop up a two-story wall. Or you see a guy dive wile the camera man is lying on his back and they just show the same shot like three times in a row.

But this running on top of trees is too much. I like the idea of pushing off of the trees and walls, as if in water, but it was taken too far.

As for the Matrix refenece, I'm talking about usingb technology and doing right. Like in Matrix one Neo dodges the bullets on the roof. That was certainly far fetched bu done well enough to believe how it was done at the time. Or even his first MA experience in the virtual dojo .... things were sped up, certainly some wire work but not what was in Hero.

All in all, it was good. But certainly no 5 Deadly or even Kid with the Golden Arm. Simple movies with a good plot. And even the way the Lizard climbed the walls was more believable in what, 1978?

Blog Entries
    I am so sick of the following:

1) Wirework
    2) Sped up action scenes
    3) "Dusty" hits
    4) CGI effects

Take all of those out and you'd have a decent martial arts film.....

Take all of those out and you'd have a decent martial arts film.....
    Take all of those out and you'd have a mediocre film that no one will go to.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Take all those out and you'd have a old school Jackie Chan movie....

...like i said...
    Kung Fu is good for you.