Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero takes the cake

Blog Entries
    You suck...

au contraire mon frere. it is you who sucketh and not I.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
    I am so sick of the following:

1) Wirework
    2) Sped up action scenes
    3) "Dusty" hits
    4) CGI effects

Take all of those out and you'd have a decent martial arts film.....
    Awww, c'mon... u gotta have the spectacular in there! If I wanna see somewhat realistic fighting (and I do!) I go get a UFC style video or something like that (pride, k1, etc etc).

These movies show the art part of martial art. Like you ever see any good martial arts in a movie....

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
    [B]Awww, c'mon... u gotta have the spectacular in there! If I wanna see somewhat realistic fighting (and I do!) I go get a UFC style video or something like that (pride, k1, etc etc).
    That's rich.

These movies show the art part of martial art. Like you ever see any good martial arts in a movie....
    Who coined the term "martial art" anyways? It seems like such a misnomer. I prefer the term "Wu Shu" (pre-PRC) which means "Martial Method." It's a lot less confusing.....

Peace.

Blog Entries
    sad to say, but the martial arts genre in films to progress further is dead. it has been milked for all it could be. it can't be innovative anymore. we've (x-tremed it to death). all we can do is regress or stagnate.

but, on the plus side, even tho formulas like hero get made, it does good for the ma school/business industry. they give a little more oomph to a kung-fu flyer.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Originally posted by EvolutionFist

When will somebody do this right? Look towards the Matrix for inspiration on realistic supernatural ability. [/B]
    "Spiderman" would have been a much better example. I also have a deep and passionate hatred for the kind of effects we are complaining about but it's not about "realism". These guys ARE superheros. The problem is when whet they do conflicts to blantantly with what we all know about the laws of physics from personal experience.

"Spiderman" kicked ass in that regard because IF a person had the ability to jump 30 feet in the air....that's sort of what I think it would look like. In "Hero" and all the other garbage wire work BS people jump like a normal person about 2 feet up and then hold a pose as they float ever higher and higher. My imagination just doesn't go there and I get torn out of the fantasy and thrown back in the movie theatre. I love how in "Spiderman" when he makes a 30 meter leap his arms and legs keep pumping like an olympic long jumper as he sails through the air in a natural arc.

But as for colors and the general fantasy of the whole thing....think about who the director is! It's Zhang Yi Mo. He's basically (untill now) an art-house director. He did "Raise the Red Lantern" and "To Live" along with several other lesser known (in the west) "peasant" flicks. ie movies about the hardness and bitter beauty of peasant life in rural China. Chinese MA movies have a much stronger 'romantic' (in the literary sense) tradition than western ones.

You guys are moaning little *****es it has to be said. The film is excellent but you NEED to be a fan of kung fu genre films and have followed its evolution.

I prefer Hero over drunken master any day. The only way is up in all aspects of life.

Don't be one of the fools who get stuck and bitter about progress.

The wire work and cgi will improve.

Just look at "I, Robot". The CGI in that is the best i've ever seen. At last a realistic looking fight scene between two cgi chracters. The movments looked awesome.

It's all progress. The wire work will improve or you'll get used to it. One or the other.

If the fantastical and over the top irritate you i suggest you avoid kung fu films.

The hardcore UFC types will tell you even your traditional kung fu is TOO flashy. It's all in the eye of the beholder and i say nothing is impossible anyway. At the end of the day though these are chinese versions of our super hero stories like superman, spiderman and x-men.

Seems to me, some of the best MA in movies is not nessisarily in MA movies, and some times not even in fight sceans. My 8 year-old pointed out to me that Blade in "Blade 2" did alot of the same kinds of transitional moves Sifu is teaching in the kid's class. And the finale in that movie, minus the running on walls and such, was really quite good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Originally posted by bungle
    You guys are moaning little *****es it has to be said. The film is excellent but you NEED to be a fan of kung fu genre films and have followed its evolution.

I prefer Hero over drunken master any day. The only way is up in all aspects of life.

Don't be one of the fools who get stuck and bitter about progress....
    *groan*...pu-lease....

That is NOT progress and it is exactly the kung fu genre fans who hate that film the most in the west. THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO GONG FU IN IT! Not even performance gong fu. Not one of the actors other than Jet Li has even the tiniest bit of MA background.

Follow it's evolution? Do you have any idea how thouroughly hated that film is in China. Go to a Chinese language discussion board and you are HARD PRESSED to find ANYONE who has anything good to say about it. They say the actors were stiff and wooden. The beatiful colors and running across the water is corney schlocky stuff that bores them and the whole storyline is often percieved as PRC propoganda garbage with a particularly distastefull re-writing of the first emperor into some sort of poet-philosopher.

The wire-work and choreography is typical of what can be seen on any number of Chinese 45 episode TV series that are available on VCD here.

It was an interesting romantic fantasy and extremely well crafted but that's about it. It's getting a lot of press because it's all new to us in the west and we're don't realize were looking at a bunch of pop singers and soap opera stars.

In China they have 'Wu Xia' movies and 'Gong Fu' movies. This one was 'Wu Xia'. The Wu Xia are more about romance and legend than about MA.

I couldn't be more cynical about that flick. I have way to many reasons.

Originally posted by omarthefish
    That is NOT progress and it is exactly the kung fu genre fans who hate that film the most in the west. THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO GONG FU IN IT! Not even performance gong fu. Not one of the actors other than Jet Li has even the tiniest bit of MA background.
    Don't forget Donnie Yen!!!

Originally posted by omarthefish
    THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO GONG FU IN IT! Not even performance gong fu. Not one of the actors other than Jet Li has even the tiniest bit of MA background.
    You meen there was no CMA that you coose to agnoledge as such. Remember the true meening of Gong Fu, or Kung Fu, runns much deeper that "I can defend myself and do forms well." And a lack of MA backround does not preclude that one can or cannot portray any rael ability on the silver screen. Or that the director will let them.
    It was an interesting romantic fantasy and extremely well crafted but that's about it. It's getting a lot of press because it's all new to us in the west and we're don't realize were looking at a bunch of pop singers and soap opera stars.
    Sure we did. But some of use enjoy that sort of thing...
    I couldn't be more cynical about that flick. I have way to many reasons.
    We noticed. I do value your opinion on this. I really do. But I also felt the need to let you know that some of use did enjoy it. And I absolutely love "Drunken Master" as well as "Operation Condor." Not for the MA, but for the the very funny "B" movie acting. And Jackie is at his best in that type of setting, IMO.
    Last edited by Becca; 09-02-2004 at 03:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

It's badass dude!! you just can't accept it. You're a god **** FOOL!

Aghhh!

Ok film critics. Give me your top 10 kung fu films ever!

you 'kung fu "girly men"'

Originally posted by Becca
    Seems to me, some of the best MA in movies is not nessisarily in MA movies, and some times not even in fight sceans. My 8 year-old pointed out to me that Blade in "Blade 2" did alot of the same kinds of transitional moves Sifu is teaching in the kid's class. And the finale in that movie, minus the running on walls and such, was really quite good.
    Oh I LOVED that final fight in Blade 2. And as for a non-traditional MA movie, I thought the Hector vs Achilles scene in Troy was one of the BEST spear/sword/shield fights in a movie!

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/hero2004/

LOOK! know how hard it is to get a score of 80+ on metacritic. They're ruthless...

Oh, i loved troy. Excellent fight scenes.

Brotherhood of the Wolf is a great MA movie. That is progress, using cutting edge movie-fu and technology to create something different.

I've been a MA movie fan since I was 5 years old, back to the Drive In Movie days on Channel 5. I'd come home from the dojo and eat a PB&J and watch those still in my gi.

New and flashy does not neccessarily = better. Hero was good, BUT for someone who IS a MA movie fan I expect more with that type of hype, budget and big name actors. I'd give the movie a B-

I put my money on Blade 3 kicking its a$$. The Borne movies already did.