Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gripping Jars

1. Gripping Jars

I've been using Jars of water for training my tiger claw technique and i was wondering how much weight I should use and how fast I should add water. I've also been thinking of getting a bag full of lava rocks for training the same tiger claw technique. Any one have any advice for this type of training?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Give yourself up and find yourself
    reborn.

Dude,

You want to increase the (water) or load when it has met your needs and goasl. For example, if you can claw the jar more then 15 reps or more to failure, then it is endurance. If you can claw it between 8-12 reps to near failure, then it is muscle building
    training. Lastly if you can claw it between 3 to 5 reps to nonfailure or failure, then it is power training. Within Alan Lee's academy (www.wingchunnyc.com), I have learned something about jar training for hand grip strength. Best of luck. Your success is our success.

Bao
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

3. Thanks for the tips! Any good tips on clawing tendons?
    Give yourself up and find yourself
    reborn.

Another good tiger claw (and general forearm) exercise is tossing small (ideally leather) bags filled with shot. Get a leatherworker to make you up a small (probably 6-10") bag that you can fill with various amounts of shot. The weight of the bag isn't as important as the grabbing. Best leather would be that suede type rough leather - dunno what it's called but the "hairy" one. Not suede, but even rougher. Toss the bag up in the air 4-6' or so and snatch it with the other hand with a solid grab. Use your tiger claw. Repeat, tossing from one hand to the other. You could also get a training partner and toss the bag to each other across a distance.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Killingthetiger

No problem and it is a pleasure helping you. Any good tips on clawing tendons? Please go www.dragondoor.com, go to their body weight articles or post your questions there. There is an Chin Up expert named Brad who knows many exercises for grip and hand strength.

Your success is our success.
    Bao
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Originally posted by Toby
    Another good tiger claw (and general forearm) exercise is tossing small (ideally leather) bags filled with shot. Get a leatherworker to make you up a small (probably 6-10") bag that you can fill with various amounts of shot. The weight of the bag isn't as important as the grabbing. Best leather would be that suede type rough leather - dunno what it's called but the "hairy" one. Not suede, but even rougher. Toss the bag up in the air 4-6' or so and snatch it with the other hand with a solid grab. Use your tiger claw. Repeat, tossing from one hand to the other. You could also get a training partner and toss the bag to each other across a distance.
    Good references to inches and feet, Australian. Many Americans don't even know that " means inches and ' means feet.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Oh, what's the purpose of training on jars? It will only make you stronger in that position +- 15 degrees. You won't really strengthen your full range grip by only gripping something in a static position.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Haven't you noticed I always try to Americacise my posts for you Iron? Right down to details like "*******" instead of "arsehole".

I imagine jars would offer similar benefits to pinch gripping smooth plates or another cool one from Brookfield's book - drive an axe head into a large block of wood, pinch grip the axe head and do farmer's walk.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Besides the static hold, which as mentioned is similar to pinch gripping, there are exercices performed while holding the jars, which can be compared to wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, and at differing angles. Jars are by no means the only way to strengthen yuor claw/grip, but as an addition to your training.

In mantis training we buy the solid dumbbells with the hexagon ends. You grip the end of the weight with a tiger claw and you hold it out horizontally (in front of you, to the sides, above your head, downward, etc) You can rotate the weights..draw circles in the air..to strengthen the wrists.

It's pretty much the same as jar training but I think dumbbells are alot less bulky.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Scythefall
    In mantis training we buy the solid dumbbells with the hexagon ends. You grip the end of the weight with a tiger claw and you hold it out horizontally (in front of you, to the sides, above your head, downward, etc) You can rotate the weights..draw circles in the air..to strengthen the wrists.

It's pretty much the same as jar training but I think dumbbells are alot less bulky.
    Good tip - I might try this out.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Another John Brookfield one that I wanted to try was to buy an old school round dumbell and cut the two ends off and throw those around and catch them. I've looked around a bit for suitable dumbells, but no-one sells them here. You'd be wanting a 35lb+ dumbell so that each end weighs at least 12 or more lb. Hexagonal ones work too, but the corners make it more difficult. But you can find hex ones everywhere.

Those are called block weights and they are great! I have a 27.5 and a 35 pound one and they are the hex type. The edges make it a bit harder but you just have to focus harder on the eye hand coordiation but very cool to train with. I find doing long walks with one and switching hands to be very productive and it's interesting to see how many footsteps you can take. I think a fifty pounder with the handle cut off makes two good sized block weights for someone that hasn't tried it before. For functional strength in the hands I think these are the best.
    However, I've recently wondered about soaking and folding a thick towel and ringing it out for an hour to train my hands, John Brookfield mentioned this as one of the grip tips on the Ironmind site and it looks pretty good.
    A unique snowflake

I like the wringing the towel idea. That's something that's easy to do and you can mix it with household activities like washing the car or whatever.

Massage is a great hand strengthener as well. After massaging my girlfriend for about 30 minutes my hands get pretty tired. This gives me a chance to work on acupressure points which help with all manner of ailments. She's been a massage therapist for many years and she said the most powerful hands she's ever seen, literally muscles bulging between the bones on the top of the hand, was a horse doctor. Apparently massage therapy is very common for race horses. He had come to her school to let the people training for massage therapy that people weren't the only creatures that needed massage. LOL

Funny story, people are always asking me "do you guys train wth jars of water or walk buckets up and down flights of stairs?" One day I came in and one of my supervisors who takes karate goes "Hey Paul" and I turned and looked and he's in a horse stance, tiger gripping two supersized sodas from McDonald's out to the sides. Heh!

Originally posted by IronFist
    Oh, what's the purpose of training on jars? It will only make you stronger in that position +- 15 degrees. You won't really strengthen your full range grip by only gripping something in a static position.
    Hey Iron, do you know where the +/- 15 degrees rule comes from? Was there a study done or a book that this referance comes from? I've only heard about it here on this board, and it sort of goes against my experience with deadlifts. Just curious.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 09-08-2004 at 12:26 PM.
    Bodhi Richards