Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shaolin Grandmasters Text

The Shaolin Grandmasters Text

A new book on Shaolin history, Buddhism, and martial practice is available at

www.shaolintemple.org

This is not a "how to" or picture book, it is a 300 page text filled with *information* on all things Shaolin.

Who is the author?

And why isn't the author more forward about who he or she is?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

As a representative of the publisher, I can say that the book contains a detailed description of why the authors have chosen anonymity, and also contains lineal information. The book is the completion of a project begun many decades ago by three deceased masters. Their names can be found on the amazon.com's description page for the book.

Very few living sifu were personally acquainted with these priests, and fewer still trained under them - but if you have concerns of legitimacy, talk to sifu who were active in NYC Chinatown between 1930 and 1965.

Curious, but which temple were these Shaolin priests supposed to be from?

Just wondering, because the list of core styles seems like kind of an odd collection:

Southern Tiger (which has absorbed Shaolin's Leopard, Eagle Claw, and Monkey styles)
    Crane (both White Crane and Black Crane)
    Snake
    Dragon (both Southern Dragon and Northern Dragon)
    Northern Praying Mantis
    Southern Praying Mantis
    Pak Mei (White Eyebrow)
    Wing Chun (Blessed Springtime)

Also, is there any more info about all this that can be found outside of the book? What makes it different than any other "Shaolin" book on the market? Are there any photos/videos or other information out there about the OSC?

Brad, different temples. Abbot Li was trained at Fukien, but served as abbot at Honan (and for the entire order). Hua was his "chancellor," I guess you'd call it. Master Ben served as one of the last abbots at Fukien. These priests were joined in NY by other Shaolin priests and masters (some who were not ordained) representing a few other temples as well.

The old core of Shaolin was the Five-Formed Fist, meaning Dragon, Tiger, Cobra, Leopard, and Black Crane (in the north). But Shaolin was kind of like a university where many subjects were studied, and where martial styles were experimented with and developed. So, the priests added material to their curriculum if they felt it was up to snuff. Southern Praying Mantis is a good example. The style was originally developed 1800-1830, and practiced in Shaolin from that time, as well as in Jook Lum - but the Fukien council of masters did not adopt the style officially into the temple until the mid/late 1800s.

Regarding videos, I know of no plans to ever produce any.

I think the book is fantastic, yet I respect others' skepticism and caution. You can always wait for more reviews.

Any new book is welcome...

...but the anonymity thing is really odd. Legitimacy resides not within the name but within the work.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: Any new book is welcome...

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Legitimacy resides not within the name but within the work.
    Exactly!!!

I hope people find the book informative and useful.

Just a Guy wrote.
    The old core of Shaolin was the Five-Formed Fist, meaning Dragon, Tiger, Cobra, Leopard, and Crane.

You are right, when you say that the core of old northern Shaolin is
    wu xing.

r.

Dear Just a Guy:

After viewing the website and reviewing the information concerning Shao-Lin's effort to trademark being commercially driven, I was hoping that I might ask you to send me a copy of your book, free of charge. What say ye?

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar
    Last edited by dimmakseminar; 09-08-2004 at 11:20 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

i second dimmakseminar..i want a free copy too..=)

I just bought one ..only thing..shipping can take up to 4 weeks (for EU)

The publisher is a non-profit (as opposed to a commercial for-profit), and proceeds all go to support the preservation of Shaolin Ch'an and arts - but that doesn't mean the publisher can give away copies!!!

Nice try, though

HAHA, Wen just emailed them for some information and got back "buy the book" and "T" signed the email. It's sounds a bit fishy, doncha think??

I don't know what it is about the Northwest drawing all the freaks, but we sure do seem to be getting MORE then our share.. Anyone want to come up here and take some back to your own areas?? Lets spread them out a bit so it doesn't make ALL of us Northwesterners look REALLY bad (not that it's not that bad already).

Has anyone else ever heard of Black Crane before? I've never personally heard of it, but I'm just wondering if anyone (Such as Gene or NorthernShaolin) have!?!?!?

Thanks,
    ~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

Anyone want to come up here and take some back to your own areas??
    There's plenty out east too The Chung Moo Doe cult, Count Dante's people, Ashida Kim's Kid's Club, Shaolin decended from a wearwolf, Kun Tao people who think they can turn into panthers, and there's a Grandmaster sending me personal emails calling me Castro and threatening to sue me over things I had no idea about(see main forum)

Anyway, I think I'm going to see if our library will order this book for me. $40 is a bit steep for a book that I know nothing about... if I was wealthy, I'd probably pick it up in a second though

Has anyone else ever heard of Black Crane before?
    Yes, but not much.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread