Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shaolin Grandmasters Text

wanna see black crane??get a white crane and pour black paint over him...u got black crane..=)
    sorrie gay joke..just wanted to type

the order of shaolin channeling...

LIKE...
    is this some channeling or angel dust thing?
    ~doc
    Last edited by Roc Doc; 09-08-2004 at 10:03 PM.
    "he listened to the devil and learned that EVIL KUNG FU... but he saved the temple"

-arhats in fury

Pk....

Hahaha Stylez you ol' joker
    It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA

Originally posted by Just a Guy
    The publisher is a non-profit (as opposed to a commercial for-profit), and proceeds all go to support the preservation of Shaolin Ch'an and arts -
    Does that mean you'll donate the proceeds to the Shaolin Temple in Henan?

What you're saying, that the book should be judged on its own merit, does not apply here. The authors of this book, whoever they are, claim authority over the Shaolin arts. They expect us to listen to what they have to say and pay for it and not a small sum either. I would hope that the book isn't a rehash of things we've all heard and read before, that it contains some new information. In that case, how are we supposed to judge the veracity of said information, if the authors aren't even willing to stand behind their own work?

You say these 3 monks were from the Southern Shaolin Temple, the existence of which has been a hotly debated topic for a number of years. In fact, it has also been the subject of archeological research if I'm not mistaken. If these people had information as to the whereabouts and proof of existence of the Fujian Shaolin Temple, why didn't they come forward and help the researchers with their valuable information and put an end to this debate all this time?

Some good questions.

1. The authors do not claim authority over anything. Information is presented. People can take it or leave it - assess everything you read with your own brain to see if it makes sense and is wholesome. That's the Buddha's advice.

2. The authors do not expect anything, and have no desire to ram anything down anyone's throat - see #1. The book's price reflects its high quality construction (hardback, Smythe-sewn bining) and the high quality and sheer volume of information presented.

3. The copyright for the book is held by the Order of Shaolin Ch'an, and the OSC stands behind the work. There were many contributors. The primary contributors still living have chosen anonymity for many reasons, not least of which is to protect their privacy. What is wrong with wishing to live a quiet and peaceful life free of the material and egoistic burdens of "fame"?

4. Would the words of a few old monks now or 40 years ago really change the archaeological debates going on today in China regarding the southern temple? Does it really even matter? The temple isn't there anymore. The temple travels with the sangha, not the other way round. During the 1800s and the early 1900s, the Fukien Temple was located at the forest site near the river. Pre-Ch'ing dynasty, it was the site up in the mountains. There you have it. Do you think the archaeologists will stop the debate now?

1. Maybe I should write a book on Shaolin and publish it anonymously too. Would you buy it? How would you know I have any first hand information about anything Shaolin?

People who write books or teach have to show reason for why they're "qualified" to teach. This means either presenting a verifiable lineage, or if your lineage is not verifiable or you don't want to disclose it for whatever reason, by demonstrating the skills that you're talking about personally.

3. Unfortunately, the website of the "order" is also lacking in verifiable information as to their authenticity and what it is that they exactly do or teach. What is the big secret containted within the pages of this book that would catapult its authors into overnight stardom and disrupt their peaceful lives? Will kung fu paparazzi line up at their doorsteps, if their identities are revealed?

4. I'm sure if the exact location was pointed out, the researchers could find some remains and if we're lucky maybe even a couple of historical artifacts. Is that a bad thing?
    Last edited by emre; 09-10-2004 at 11:28 AM.

High quality construction

Well, I'll be the first to call BS on the high quality comment, but not in a negative way. What determines the price of any publication is not the quality unless it's extreme high quality, like an art book. Take the new Muhammed Ali book for example (well, that's an extreme example). What determines the price of any publication is how many are printed. Print more and it costs less. Now I'm assuming from the lack of any crediting to a known publisher that this book is vanity published or self published. Generally speaking, that bodes poorly for a book because it means that it could be published by a known publisher, but in the martial arts industry, most people are do-it-yourselfers, to a fault, so it's pretty common to see independant publications. For an independantly published hardbound book of that length, $40 is reasonable. I'd be interested to see a review copy.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Slow down guys ! what's the big deal here ? Read the book first and then start to talk about the 'true/fake' things....It's just a f**ing book.... Or maybe You guys don't have anything better to do than talk on this board here....?I have an idea, save $40 bucks,buy the book and read it. Come back to discuss when You finished it..What You all think ?

And $40 isn't that kind of expensive.....come on...

Originally posted by xiao
    have an idea, save $40 bucks,buy the book and read it. Come back to discuss when You finished it..What You all think ?

And $40 isn't that kind of expensive.....come on...
    That's exactly the attitude I need for my upcoming 50$ secrets of Shaolin and Dim Mak book.

Buy it first, then you can bash me if you don't like it. While I spend your hard earned money.

Oh, I can't disclose my qualifications for writing this book, other than the fact that I learned everything from an enlightened grandmaster of both Wudan and Shaolin that was Bai Mei's distant cousin. You'll have to take everything on faith.

Speaking of new Shaolin books...

You guys have heard of this forthcoming title from Wisdom Publications The Spiritual Legacy of Shaolin Temple by Andy James.

Man, I should pull my Shaolin book together like everyone keeps telling me. Until then, you'll just have to read my articles.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The only place I ever heard of black crane was at shaolin.com.

is there a connection?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I saw that too KL!!! lol

OSC ~vs~ TCMA the Movie! B Rated

FWK> I Fen Wen Ke have come to challenge you! ( Synthesizer SFX as FWK comes though the gate )

OSC> I will except your challenge…. and I will use my Black Crane Style, …… and I will DEFEAT YOU! (Synthesizer SFX)

FWK> So you think your Black Crane Style is good?!!...... (echo, reverb)

Well …..then ...now…….
    I will use my POISONOUS DEATH KICK MONKEY FIST!!! ( echo, reverb, synth SFX)
    That Tong Na Ho and I created and made a secret manual for!!!!!

***Insert Cheesy Clint Eastwood western movie theme song here***

LMAO!!!!
    ~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

black crane...

Hmmmmmm...... the secret manual by nameless...
    EXCELLENT!!!!!!!
    AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... (echo,reverb,sfx)
    .......quickly finishes the remainder of the jasmine pearls and slams the small clay cup onto the old wooden table and heads out to amazon.com.....
    ~somewhere in the distance a black crane cries~
    "he listened to the devil and learned that EVIL KUNG FU... but he saved the temple"

-arhats in fury

Actuallly, I don't mean to sound all sour or anything, but hwat the heck!

That site I mentioned, shaolin.com is loaded with erroneous and egrigious materials. Some of it is complete and utter nonsense. I think it is a source of disinformation about Shaolin more than anything else.

More arguments ahve been started because of the incorrect or outright wrong information being spread through that site.

One day, the net will be governed in its publications the same way newspapers are. hopefully that day will come soon and we can be rid of all the shyte we have to sift through in our attempts to find a single pearl of wisdom.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    The only place I ever heard of black crane was at shaolin.com.

is there a connection?
    That is a very good question!

Here's an interesting snippet from the FAQ at Shaolin.com:

9. Where did you get all this information?

All the information on this web site comes directly or indirectly from refugee Shaolin priests who fled China and emigrated to America before the temples were destroyed in the 1920's.
    Hmmm.

The Shaolintemple.org website also refers people to Shaolin.com for further information, a website that sells gongfu online, and teaches exactly the same list of styles that this book claims to be about! Learn Shaolin at the comfort of your home, all you need is internet access, lol!

And this is the horse stance they teach!