Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shaolin Grandmasters Text

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    with this book they claim they are something they so obviously are not!
    that's funny... this book claims that other people are something they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    that's funny... this book claims that other people are something they aren't.
    indeed they do.

listen man, if you want to believe in it, all power to you.

all I'm saying is that it has been shown to be a fraudulent piece.

there is no such thing as a shaolin order of chan, except for what tehse guys claim.

They have no connection to any of the actual shaolin who left and say took up with the KMT or were involved in the diaspora of the arts through southeast asia and so on.

There are quite a few tong folks, kmt folks etc who have direct connections with the last of the shaolin IEre 1928.

Shi Gao Can was a very well known Shaolin monk for instance, who as a member of the monastery and went out into the world and traveled and spread shaolin kungfu.

Hai Deng was a Shaolin who was asked to return to set up the new temple back in the 60's/70's

The recently deceased Su Xi was abbot prior to the latest fellow and was a Shaolin for a great deal of his lifetime.

There is a written record as well that indeed matches the stone pagoda forest telling of the time line. There has been a lot of deep academic research with direct travels to Shaolin and the universities throughout China which hold the preserved documents to serve as a base for research of this subject.

the actuality of a southern shaolin temple is still to this day debateable despite the finding of some ruins and the actual reconstruction of the whole thing!

What's very important to realize is that this book that you are defending for whatever reason cannot be sourced, contains no references and is not supported by any of the sources that verify the history of Shaolin.

This book seeks to create a foothold for an american organization. It mixes small truths with abundant fallacy.

However, I have now officially wasted as much time with it as I'm gonna. If you want to chase after a pack of lies and you get some fulfillment from that, well good on ya!

Bottom line though is that it is an elaborate fantasy piece and you are actually only supporting some egotistical dudes in their want to be recognized as something they are far from being and are wholly not a part of.

Dig deeper. You will benefit greatly. You are too quick to accept something because it goes against the grain. This could very well be that critical error in the thinking process that perhaps dogs you elsewhere in your life.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

merely another possibility is all.

How about someone post some of the outlandish claims here! I have no intention of buying the book, but I am interested in finding out what all the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I am interested in finding out what all the fuss is about.
    it's a great philosophical read, even if you don't buy into what they are saying about the shaolin... LOL... personally i love books like this that get people all riled up... right in the beginning there is a warning of sorts that states many people will be offened.

I sat at the bookstore last summer reading through this book. I'm usually a fan of conspiracy theories and crazy stuff, but the writers of this book didn't even seem like they were trying to be at least a little coherent. The guy with his face covered made me lol.

Question: Did anyone ever find out why Paul Eng endorsed this book? His books are top notch and he seems like a decent guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post

Question: Did anyone ever find out why Paul Eng endorsed this book? His books are top notch and he seems like a decent guy.
    $$$?

or perhaps as stated earlier, the endorsement is fraudulent?

or "seeming" and "being" are two different things?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    personally i love books like this that get people all riled up...
    OT, but:

you might like this book then, 1421: The Year China Discoverd America I havnt read it yet, but a friend of mine that is a historian is going to let me borrow it soon, apparently though it has been quite controversial. I havnt read it yet so I dont have an opinion, but it sounds like a read you would enjoy Uki, from reviews its a fun read too. let me know if you get it before i do.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    OT, but:

you might like this book then, 1421: The Year China Discoverd America I havnt read it yet, but a friend of mine that is a historian is going to let me borrow it soon, apparently though it has been quite controversial. I havnt read it yet so I dont have an opinion, but it sounds like a read you would enjoy Uki, from reviews its a fun read too. let me know if you get it before i do.
    I have read it and Menzies makes a really good case for his argument that Admiral Zheng He's fleet arrived in the Americas 70 years before the Europeans did.

What gives Menzies credibility is that he himself is a rigorous researcher and a former uk naval commander (submariner) who has a real understanding of all things mariner. When he started looking into charts and maps he developed a real curiosity in regards to maps that europeans had and how they got them.

What he knew as a mariner, that other lines of research may not have known is that ancient cartographers more often than not built upon each others work over centuries.

Maps were worth more than gold at one time. They were real living treasures!

I enjoyed the read and I think Menzies has presented a really great argument moving forward.

I mean people by now know that Chris Columbus was not the discoverer of the Americas. That's just bogus imperialist nonsense coming from the Euro-centric historical perspective.

Having said that, it was the Norse who discovered the Americas a thousand years before Columbus was even born and certainly long before the Ming Emperors admirals set out.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 02-18-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

thanks for the quick review there. makes me want to read it even more. the fact that he was a sub commander is part of what makes me so interested.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

thanks for the quick review there. makes me want to read it even more. the fact that he was a sub commander is part of what makes me so interested.
    He's recently released another tome as well.

1434 - and it covers what happened in italy when they met up with the Ming Fleets who brought many wonderful things and frankly somewhat diminish the telling of the marco polo story.

Now marco polo saw some things and even did some things, but the Ming Admirals brought that stuff right to the door!

anyway, this looks like a good read too!
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=LR4R...r:Menzies&cd=2
    Kung Fu is good for you.

for some reason i cant pull that link up, whats the title ?

for some reason i cant pull that link up, whats the title ?

that is the title.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

oh ah ha. thanks again

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    [QUOTE=David Jamieson;992441]
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    ....snip...
    spend actually playing their qigongs, which I would add are borrowed from other
    ...snip....
    Nice to see that someone else recognized this...
    I had been practicing their "Buddha shows 1,000 Palms" for years before the Falun gong group was in existence...
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org