Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shaolin Grandmasters Text

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    In regard to these 14-whatever books, I love the premise and almost want to get the books. My question would be is how does it read? I mean is it extremely dry? I love research, history, etc., but sometimes if it's too dry I just can get through it...

I guess that's one aspect of eating bitter that I have very little kung fu in :P
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

The Bodhisattva Warriors

This reminds me of a book I read along time ago when I first became interested in Buddhism and Shaolin called the Bodhisattva Warriors by Terrence Dukes. The author claimed, similarly to the anonymous authors of the "Grandmaster's Text", that he was an initiate in an esoteric buddhist martial order of which Shaolin was a part.

He even went so far as to claim some imaginary direct lineage of martial practice beginning with Gautama.

It actually contained some accurate information on the abhidharma, but was otherwise a slapdash collection of assorted myths and outright falsification seemingly for the purpose of vindicating the imaginary lineage that he claimed. Furthermore all the illustrations had obviously been photocopied from other works.

As for the author; I remember reading about some very nasty sexual harassment if not outright rape allegations from female students. I think this was in Scotland. Apparently his school taught some blend of akido/kenpo and yoga.

OSC is just another group of pudgy old white guys inventing a historical narrative to give purchase to their wild fantasies of esoteric martial wisdom. You are ready to leave the temple Grasshopper.

The PRC is such an easy target, as are the wushu actors and tourism of the modern temple. It's really a non issue. Is traditional Gong Fu practiced at the temple today as it was during the Ming? It certainly seems more likely then a bunch of expatriates taught the last vestiges of it to some dude now living in the Pacific Northwest. But I don't know what the actual pugilistic practices of Ming Era Chinese Buddhist renunicants were, I wasn't around, maybe someone who was can tell me what life was like during the Ming Dynasty.
    Really, most people don't care about traditional Gong Fu, they just want to see some impressive acrobatic breakfalls and guys breaking ****.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    This reminds me of a book I read along time ago when I first became interested in Buddhism and Shaolin called the Bodhisattva Warriors by Terrence Dukes. The author claimed, similarly to the anonymous authors of the "Grandmaster's Text", that he was an initiate in an esoteric buddhist martial order of which Shaolin was a part.

He even went so far as to claim some imaginary direct lineage of martial practice beginning with Gautama.

It actually contained some accurate information on the abhidharma, but was otherwise a slapdash collection of assorted myths and outright falsification seemingly for the purpose of vindicating the imaginary lineage that he claimed. Furthermore all the illustrations had obviously been photocopied from other works.

As for the author; I remember reading about some very nasty sexual harassment if not outright rape allegations from female students. I think this was in Scotland. Apparently his school taught some blend of akido/kenpo and yoga.

OSC is just another group of pudgy old white guys inventing a historical narrative to give purchase to their wild fantasies of esoteric martial wisdom. You are ready to leave the temple Grasshopper.

The PRC is such an easy target, as are the wushu actors and tourism of the modern temple. It's really a non issue. Is traditional Gong Fu practiced at the temple today as it was during the Ming? It certainly seems more likely then a bunch of expatriates taught the last vestiges of it to some dude now living in the Pacific Northwest. But I don't know what the actual pugilistic practices of Ming Era Chinese Buddhist renunicants were, I wasn't around, maybe someone who was can tell me what life was like during the Ming Dynasty.
    Really, most people don't care about traditional Gong Fu, they just want to see some impressive acrobatic breakfalls and guys breaking ****.
    All juicy dirt aside on the star trek gang, your last paragraph here struck me as odd. You can access a lot of historical information pertaining to everyday living in the Ming Dynasty. It was a few hundred years long afterall. Also, the Ming ended in 1644 and so, all there is, is the historical record, art, archaeology, etc.

Shaolin as is now, has never been the same thing consistently over it's 1500 years. How could it be? Everything depends on mind. Whose mind though right?

Zen is not lost to the world, Shaolin still exists, Kungfu is still perpetuated and who cares really what people want to see? It will go on with or without an audience lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

[QUOTE=David Jamieson;992691]
    What gives Menzies credibility is that he himself is a rigorous researcher and a former uk naval commander (submariner) who has a real understanding of all things mariner.
    QUOTE]

Sorry to poke my nose in, but Menzies has little to no credibility as a historical researcher and his work has been extensively debunked. There are many net resources but here is a couple of links, if you or anyone is interested:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...6/s1699373.htm
    http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...6/s1701800.htm
    http://www.1421exposed.com/

As far as the book that is the topic of this thread: absolute pile of sh.it (ditto for Bodhisattva Warriors).

BT

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Sorry to poke my nose in, but Menzies has little to no credibility as a historical researcher and his work has been extensively debunked. There are many net resources but here is a couple of links, if you or anyone is interested:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...6/s1699373.htm
    http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...6/s1701800.htm
    http://www.1421exposed.com/

As far as the book that is the topic of this thread: absolute pile of sh.it (ditto for Bodhisattva Warriors).

BT
    Tie me kangaroo down sport!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Tie me kangaroo down sport!!!
    I may be a beer or two in...but I trust my reaction of WTF!?!? to be fairly accurate. What am I missing here?
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    I may be a beer or two in...but I trust my reaction of WTF!?!? to be fairly accurate. What am I missing here?
    I'll bet, or at least I hope, B. Tunks gets it.

It is an old Aussie song from my childhood,

Tie me kangaroo down sport....

Play your didgeridoo Blue....

But the money verse is....

Tan me hide when I'm dead Fred,
    Tan me hide when I'm dead.
    So he tanned his hide when he died Clyde,
    and that's him hanging on the shed!

All together now....
    Tie me kangaroo down sport....etc.!

I've got it on mp3 if anyone is interested!

Ah, okay - lol.

Here you go:

Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport

Enjoy a good laugh!!!

That one cut out the money verse....I'm looking for the complete song.....

Here we go:

Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport the complete version!

ha ha, sheeeeet....
    G'day Mate!

G'day (there, I said it). You an Aussie originally? You know Rolf Harris and his songs make most of us want to commit suicide right?

I digress...

T

G'day (there, I said it). You an Aussie originally? You know Rolf Harris and his songs make most of us want to commit suicide right?

I digress...

T
    Naw, I'm not an Aussie......I'm just the local wise guy!

Every time I get serious I start getting cramps in my side and my vision goes black around the edges!

The Kangaroo song is the only one I know from Rolf.....I apologize if I brought you nightmares!