Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Focus

How about viewing it like this. Everything in the SLT, every single movement is a concept. Its an idea of how to use structure, and the human body. Its an idea of how do something. Its not set in stone or blood or through some other means. ------

Here you are thinking and intelecturized again. Remember not to think and keep awake?

Keeping the little idea about it reminds you that its a concept and not exact. Applying the tan/bong/fook in a real situation will not be like the form hardly at all. Its not an exact science or an exact way to do something. Its an idea and a concept. Keeping that state of mind will help you develope other attributes. Attributes like timing, sensitivity, execution, etc etc. Once you realize to just do it, you can get past a lot of things. -----

You cant keep or hold a state of mind for long. Try it if you dont believe.

Once the intent is there the fight has already begun. Once they approach you it has already begun. It begins before any actions are taken or words spoken. Just remember that. -------

Nope, the fight is not begun when others set up thier intention.

ONe can choose not to fight and walk away.
    One can choose not to fight and talk away.
    One can choose not to fight and Beg away.
    One can choose not to fight and pay away.
    One can choose to have a mentallity of " I am not interested in fighting. I am interested only to beat the heck out of you." That is about beating not about fighting.
    One can choose to see" Let see how good are you? I love this fun game"
    One can choose ......
    there is not only one way to settle things. and if you dont program your mind to do that only one way, you dont have to react that way.

Why one has to react or response on other's call?

Teaching your students how to focus on certain things would possibly open up your eyes to how you should train the mind. If you do teach wing chun what concepts do you teach to your students about mind sets and focusing? --------

The trouble is not too many knows about thier own mind at all. So what and how to teach?

Focus is narrowing down the view of mind so one can process a certain thing with more energy. But one cannot keep on narrowing down and not see what is behind.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 09-06-2004 at 05:06 PM.

I am going to disagree with you on one point hendrick.

Once there is intent, yes the fight has begun. This reminds me of an old samurai fable. Two samurai are both traveling down the same path towards each other. There is a bridge in the middle of this path that crosses a pretty big river. There is only room for one of them to pass. They meet on the bridge and stare each other down. Each of them gazing into one another and not saying anything and not making any physical action towards another. They are infact dueling each other with their mindsets. They focus on one another and stand there for a day. After a full day they both turn around and walk away. They have come to the conclusion that they are evenly matched and at a stale mate.

You can choose not to fight, but that is still fighting. The art of fighting with out fighting, as bruce lee put it. Maybe its because I am a westerner and do not fully understand the eastern philosophy? Maybe I understand it more than I let myself on to? Maybe what I know is completely wrong?

If someone has intent towards you, then the fight has already begun. How you choose to end it will be up to you. If you can sense this you can usually avoid it all together. One example of how I do this is how I travel. I live in the city and walk everywhere to save money on spending gas. I only drive to work and to kung fu class, everywhere else I walk. There have been a lot of muggings, shootings, and car jackings lately around my area. A newly engaged couple got shot and killed in a parking lot of a bar 2 weeks ago over a car jacking. That bar is about 3 or 4 blocks from my house. I avoid doing certain things, avoid walking down certain areas, and avoid certain people when I see them. I can sense, or guess the intent sometimes. I just see someone and instantly think to myself they are shady and up to no good by how they present themselves. I could be wrong, but I haven't gotten mugged yet (except for one time last year I got mugged but I just gave teh guy all the cash in my pocket and he ran off, I even kept my wallet however I had been out drinking with the guys and walked home, and kinda walked the wrong way).

So, in the past I have acted upon the situations to avoid them all together. If someone has the intention to come mug you there is no philosophy to stop it. You deal with it then and make a choice that instant whether to fight them back or to give them what they want. There is no thought, no thinking process, there is just action in those situations. Same thing goes for someone who comes up and wants to fight you. The reason behind it is pointless because you cannot just change someone's mind at will by speaking buddhism to them.

I prefer not to fight people, but I do when I have to. That is why I avoid certain things based on how I feel about the situation.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

My apologies to you Gangsterfist for this digression. It seems as if during the exchange of ideas and opinions, I made several that the Great Sage Hendrik, in his all knowing glory, has stated are wrong. According to who, I do not know.

Dont quote what others say, say things in your own way, for you might not understand what others mean even you think you do.
    So let me get this straight. You’re the one who presumed I was directly quoting you because you don’t understand the finer nuances of English grammar? Then you dispense the above advice to me? Dude, you’re a walking contradiction. If you’re going to give such advice, why not take it and use it for yourself? You might be better off if you can practice what you preach before advising others on such matters. I never said I was interpreting your words or anything. Paraphrasing is taking other pre-existing words and adding your own ideas to them, so I was not trying to make a statement based on my understanding of what you said. Dig?

What Da Moose trying to qoute me. and add on his own ideas....etc

---------so as Hendrik said, teach them to be in the here and now,

otherwise they’re likely to miss the form or mess up the sequences.
    Once they have the sequence down as second nature,

teach the student to focus on their breathing via the daan tien in a relaxed manner.

Once this is achieved, teach them to connect their inhalation/exhalation with their hand motions, breathing in and out appropriately with the hand movements. ---
    Wasn’t trying to quote you, otherwise I’d have just done so. As for the here and now with the sequences, I was referring to the fact that beginners have trouble with the forms at times, especially if their minds wander about. They lose the awareness of what is going on now, and hence, get lost during the form, messing up a sequence or section.

This above is a totally out too. Any one read the TAiji classical knows, " the attention is on the shen, not in the Qi/breathing. on the breathing will cause stagnation/clumsy."
    “Totally out” according to whom? You, oh great and wise sage of all that is Wing Chun? Claiming to be omniscient are we? So you’re now telling me that what I have experienced and learned is not valid, real, etc.? I’m not disputing the Taiji knowledge, but in the beginning, there has to be attention on the breathing for most people since they have ‘forgotten’ what their diaphragm is and breathe with their chest.

You see, SLT is not Chop Suei. One cant just mix up all the Vegi and stir fried them to make SLT and SLT is not English GRAMMA too. You want to learn how to make a better His-Story, take my ADVANCE HIS-STORY making class. heheheh
    Uhm, yeah, ok. Not too sure what you said there. I’d rather not take your classes at all from the way you’re speaking here, not even commanding a basic understanding of the English language and how it is employed, otherwise, you’d have understood the concept of paraphrasing when I first mentioned it. Oh wait, that’s right! I said it was a concept. Sorry, I’ll have to send you a pool skimmer so you can catch it. Granted that SNT/SLT isn’t English grammar, but talking about anything in English requires some basic grammar, no? I imagine it’s the same in Chinese, for its true of every other language in the world. Maybe I just didn’t see your sign from Foxworthy.

DA MOOSE has no idea what hendrik is talking about.
    You got that right. And I’m sure a lot of people here are just as clueless regarding what you say here, if any sense of it can be made at all. Go squawk elsewhere.

One question for you though, Hendrik:

“How you get so big if make posts of your kind?”
    Stephen Rudnicki

"These things we know, but not those that he felt when he descended into the last shade of all."

--JLB

I am going to disagree with you on one point hendrick. -----

why not? Disagreement is welcome.

Once there is intent, yes the fight has begun. -----

Go out there get a nice hot young lady and cast an intent of you love her. So, is the Love starts there?

This reminds me of an old samurai fable. Two samurai are both traveling down the same path towards each other. There is a bridge in the middle of this path that crosses a pretty big river.

There is only room for one of them to pass.

They meet on the bridge and stare each other down. Each of them gazing into one another and not saying anything and not making any physical action towards another.

They are infact dueling each other with their mindsets.

They focus on one another and stand there for a day.

After a full day they both turn around and walk away. They have come to the conclusion that they are evenly matched and at a stale mate. ---------

That is a great scene for a movie isnt it.

That is very macho ego isnt it, not Zen at all.

If the Samurai meet and american tourist, the tourist might says " hola Amigo, nice day and you can pass first"
    then no need to spend a day there day dreaming and stressing there.

Who knows are they infact dueling each other with thier mindsets. or they are just fighting thier on FEAR due to their own speculation within thier thoughts? and spinning thier brain's hard disk for nothing but grasping thier own thoughts.

You can choose not to fight, but that is still fighting. ---

I remember when I asked a young girl to be my girl friend decade ago, she told me you might be in LOVE but I am not. hehehehe

The art of fighting with out fighting, as bruce lee put it. Maybe its because I am a westerner and do not fully understand the eastern philosophy? Maybe I understand it more than I let myself on to? Maybe what I know is completely wrong? ----

Eastern philosophy or Western philosophy are just Philosophy.
    It is more important to beable to come to know that "person" who can choose which philosophy he/she likes or not choosing at all then let the Eastern or Western govern oneself.

If someone has intent towards you, then the fight has already begun. ====

fighting needs condition to begun. if you aware of other's intention and dont provide the condition to begun the fight. the fight is not begin yet.

How you choose to end it will be up to you. If you can sense this you can usually avoid it all together. One example of how I do this is how I travel. I live in the city and walk everywhere to save money on spending gas. I only drive to work and to kung fu class, everywhere else I walk. ........ Same thing goes for someone who comes up and wants to fight you. The reason behind it is pointless because you cannot just change someone's mind at will by speaking buddhism to them. ------

If you love to react into a fight when you sense other has the fighting intent towards you. Go ahead, you dont need reason. it is your choice.

Originally posted by Da_Moose
    [B]My apologies to you Gangsterfist for this digression. It seems as if during the exchange of ideas and opinions, I made several that the Great Sage Hendrik,

....You got that right. And I’m sure a lot of people here are just as clueless regarding what you say here, if any sense of it can be made at all. Go squawk elsewhere.
    B]

See, if one doesnt FOCUS right, hendrik be come Great Sage Hendrik.

BTW.
    I dont recall you own this public forum.
    I also dont recall this is an English Gramma forum. ARe you in the proper forum?

Now a test about FOCUS, could you let go your emotion, your thought stream at this instant? totally drop it clean. Try and see.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 09-06-2004 at 06:04 PM.

it could be zen. Perhaps they were from two different clans and were in a fued. They decided not to kill each other because it was an even match and a stale mate. There is honor in that still.

However, yes it is kind of meat-headish.

Fighting does not need a condition to begin. It just needs an intention. If someone wants to fight you for whatever means they justified it by, they will probably fight you. It may just be out of pent up aggression, mental problems, etc.

Once the intent is there it has begun. You could perhaps defuse the intent and stop it befroe any actions or conditions have started.

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

it could be zen. Perhaps they were from two different clans and were in a fued. They decided not to kill each other because it was an even match and a stale mate. There is honor in that still.

However, yes it is kind of meat-headish.-------

if it is about honor then it is not Zen at all. See, honor is our worst EGO. It can place us in a pedal stone that we have to spend sooooo much energy just for feeding that Honor/EGO. such as even argue in this forum. we all human so we all do it.

Zen is about let go. So there is a problem in trying to illustrate Zen with those old Samurai stories. See, if the samurai is not affraid to die and that is ZEn. But then, see who is the master behind? That Honor. So, when the HONOR is using Zen to feed the Honor. That is not Zen at all.

Zen will be get rid of that Honor and say "Hola Amigo to the samurai of the other side of the brigde and give him a flower. " that is Zen. if one is so Zen that not affraid to die, why cant one just relax and having fun? and say HOLA AMIGO instead of looking with that mean or pretend to be mean looks? at that point, the stagnation and tense of both side relax and open up. Focus no longer in that fighting but in Everything, bridge, human, sky, flowers, amigo, smile...... no longer that tense standing still and only two person filling up the whole world stagnation focus.

You want to take a break and pay attention to the window or door beside your computer. and look if you can find anything you have never notice before?

There, you open up your mind.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 09-06-2004 at 06:18 PM.

Well, for one I never talked about zen. I was talking about focus, mindsets, and intent.

You brought up zen. I have no problem with buddhism but would rather not discuss it on a public message board, nor would I discuss any religion really. Even though buddhism is more of a philosophy. That is because I do not wish to push any kind of beliefe on anyone.

You keep telling people to be zen, thats oppressive. What if they do not want to be zen. What if they want to be open minded scientifically, or logically????

Again, another thread hi-jacked about being zen and petty arguments.

-Yip Man

Once being asked what SLT means, WSL stated that SLT idea is more of a young seed. And I think it is. If it indeed focuses on some particular aspects, then I think its foundation rests more on balance of mind/body/spirit in stillness or in motion as well as the introduction of various tools to go about achieving it. SLT to me is more of an inward introspection. It is not what I can do or intimidate him who dare to cross my bridge, but more of a firm resolution of never losing my balance or center in the tumults of war. =)

Thanks for sharing paul!

I have also heard unification of the mind/body/spirit before in several different systems of gong fu.

-Yip Man

I agree, and I hope this was not directed towards me.
    No, it wasn't.

Unless you want to be a scholar of some sort rather than become skilful, leave the Zen/Ch'an out of it is my advice. As the above demonstrates admirably, the result is silly arguments, pomposity, airheadishness and ratbaggery. It doesn't help, it just gets between you and reality.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Originally posted by anerlich

Unless you want to be a scholar of some sort rather than become skilful, leave the Zen/Ch'an out of it is my advice. As the above demonstrates admirably, the result is silly arguments, pomposity, airheadishness and ratbaggery. It doesn't help, it just gets between you and reality.

Very true.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    Well, for one I never talked about zen. I was talking about focus, mindsets, and intent.

You brought up zen. I have no problem with buddhism but would rather not discuss it on a public message board, nor would I discuss any religion really. Even though buddhism is more of a philosophy. That is because I do not wish to push any kind of beliefe on anyone.

You keep telling people to be zen, thats oppressive. What if they do not want to be zen. What if they want to be open minded scientifically, or logically????

Again, another thread hi-jacked about being zen and petty arguments.
    Circle Game

Yesterday Hendrik came out to wander.
    Caught a dragonfly inside a jar.
    He goes round and round.
    Zen this, Zen That...
    Shaolin this, Shaolin that...
    SLT this, SLT that...
    And...
    where there are questions, there are no answers.

No need to thank me, GFists. I'm just passing along what I know. The credits go to WSL and others. Hendrik actually helps me quite a bit with several of his illuminating posts. Whatever one says about Hendrik's posts, His WC philosophy discussion is very Wingchunesque! I find his insights very helpful in my understanding of WC theory and practice at Gary's gym. =)

Brother PaulH,

Sometimes it is difficult to tell "a light bult" from a harmless remark or a lighthearted tease.

Take ourselves lightly is joining the angels.
    Last edited by Rhat; 09-06-2004 at 10:54 PM.