Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Focus

Benjamin Franklin once said man is an interesting creature. He is one half demon and the other half angel. Now which half are you, brother Rhat? =)

Focus/mental development

IMHO, the development of focus or mindset is going to be largly directed by your intent.

What is your intent?

self-defence.
    Rape prevention
    Domestic violence
    other violent crimes

Security
    bouncer
    bodyguard

sport.

If your intent is merely training in WC, the mind/focus is simple - train and learn. When your intent goes beyond the classroom, into any of the above (or others not listed) the focus you develop will be determined by the need.

I train my focus by studying things related to my intent. Mostly my intent is self-defence, so I study those things that are assosiated with violence. Who, what, when, where, why, how....these infamous questions, but relating to violence.

When the 's**t' goes down, stress response takes control of your mind/focus, so train with the idea of generating natural reflexes that do not require cognition, and are withing the scope of a stress situation (i.e. small, dexterous movements and intricate motor skills are limited under stress). So the classic training of 'no-thought' or 'no-thing' help, IMO.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Re: Focus/mental development

Originally posted by AmanuJRY
    When the 's**t' goes down, stress response takes control of your mind/focus, so train with the idea of generating natural reflexes that do not require cognition, and are withing the scope of a stress situation (i.e. small, dexterous movements and intricate motor skills are limited under stress). So the classic training of 'no-thought' or 'no-thing' help, IMO.

Very True.

Gangsterfist

To train your mind via the Ving Tsun method, follow these guidelines:

- sit on your horse
    - occupy center
    - disperse, deflect, dominate
    - hit, kick, thrust, slice
    - practice, practice, practice
    - enjoy, grow, live
    - cooperate, share, pass it on

- suffer the consequences of succeeding and/or failing at the above

Repeat as needed.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

"Benjamin Franklin once said man is an interesting creature. He is one half demon and the other half angel. "

And Henry Rollins once said similar except he is part animal, part machine. I even have the T shirt somewhere.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I saw the old classic King Kong movie (1933?) yesterday. When the "beast" realized that he was about to die seeing blood on his chest, he very humanly nudged his "beauty" blond with his fingers the last time before falling down from the top of the Empire State Building in New York. Interesting enough, Both Churchill and Hitler saw this movie before WWII. Old Ben's advice is right at least for this movie! =)

Yes Paul-

King Kong is a subtle but tragic love story.

But animals acting like humans? Actually many animals have wide ranges of "emotions" despite early behaivorist perspectives.
    The range depends on the species.
    Humans sometimes have a weaker understanding of reciprocal loyalties than many canines. Dont get me started on elephants.

BTW- in my metro somewhere there is a small rain forest gorilla
    that is trained to dial 911 when the animal senses an oncoming crisis of his ill mistress.

An ex wing chun student of mine who films tv commercials used
    that gorilla for a shot. Mischievous fellow- kept taking out the comb and the pencil from my student's pocket.

In the Tucson zoo there was once a tiger who would purr and roll over whenever my mother wearing a sari came near the cage.

joy

www.tempewingchun.com

That tiger must come from Winnie-the Pooh! =) Good points, Joy!

Originally posted by anerlich
    And Henry Rollins once said similar except he is part animal, part machine. I even have the T shirt somewhere.

The fact that you even have a T-shirt of Hank's moves you up a few notches on my 'cool guy' scale.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by PaulH
    Benjamin Franklin once said man is an interesting creature. He is one half demon and the other half angel. Now which half are you, brother Rhat? =)
    Brother paulH,

To the right-minded nothing costs more dear than what is given. Between the demon and the angel, ha! I see myself as "Zatoichi"--Not all who see have their eyes open, nor do all those see who look.

Zatoichi is my greatest buddy who supports and helps me to become famous in the field of COLOR in this COLORFULL world.

And where are the rest of you, Brother Rhat? Drop down too this new Zatoichi hat and let me look at ya just the way you are! =)
    Last edited by PaulH; 09-08-2004 at 12:56 PM.

While I have zero Wing Chun experience I would love to comment on some of this...

Zatoichi rocks.

As for focus, it really does not matter how you get out of your head, just that you do. Some like Zen or NLP or Yogi Philosoply, Tao or half a dozen other ways, but the bottom line is to understand that you are not your thoughts.

Not just understand it as a concept, but experience it. You see a concept is not the thing. In fact our concepts can make it very difficult to realize the truth of a thing, because people think they know a thing when all they really have is an understanding of a concept.

Be relaxed, stay in the moment, stay centered. Don't think it, do it. Don't try to do it, do it. Don't talk about it, do it. Sheesh, now I feel like a Nike sales person who spent too much time with Yoda.

If you are thinking about what you are going to do, or what your partner is going to do then you are not in the moment. If you are aware of your surrondings and that you are not seperate from them... well, then you have a chance of acting in an appropriate manner.
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

Originally posted by PaulH
    And where are the rest of you, Brother Rhat?
    Sometimes I get so busy, I just wish that I could fly and do wing chun at the same time, I'll wake the streets of heaven. Where brother PaulH can see.

Drop down too this new Zatoichi hat and let me look at ya just the way you are! =)
    The way I am!

And just like all the other angels. Today I would rather say I am not a soul in a body, nor a body in a soul. I'm a soulbody--"Zatoichi"

Tydive is right about that Zatoichi rocks.

Originally posted by Tydive
    the bottom line is to understand that you are not your thoughts.

Not just understand it as a concept, but experience it. You see a concept is not the thing. In fact our concepts can make it very difficult to realize the truth of a thing, because people think they know a thing when all they really have is an understanding of a concept.

Be relaxed, stay in the moment, stay centered. Don't think it, do it. Don't try to do it, do it. Don't talk about it, do it. Sheesh, now I feel like a Nike sales person who spent too much time with Yoda.

If you are thinking about what you are going to do, or what your partner is going to do then you are not in the moment. If you are aware of your surrondings and that you are not seperate from them... well, then you have a chance of acting in an appropriate manner.

Who is the person who has that " understanding" that you are not your thoughts?

That is still thoughts, isnt it? hehehehehe

If you are aware of your surrondings and that you are not seperate from them... well, then you have a chance of acting in an appropriate manner. -------

Then, one is in a state of an appropriate manner of thinking one is beyond the thinker but infact is within the Thoughts, which tries to simulate beyond the thought, by expand the realm of the thoughts.

Nope, still not entering that gate of no door.

Until you see your original face before your parents were born, dont get delude by your thoughts.

Now, think about how do you looks like before your parents were born. is it "aware of your surrondings and that you are not seperate from them... " ? hahahaha

Nice Try!
    Last edited by Hendrik; 09-08-2004 at 07:28 PM.