Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: grappling vs knife vid

Chris Friedman Article

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

READ Chin Na versus Knife by Chris Friedman
    Chin Na (aka Qinna 擒拿) is one of the four categories of any Chinese Kung Fu system.
    I had to look it up.

Another popular method to describe a particular style of Chinese martial arts is to describe the style's emphasis in terms of the four major applications. The four major applications are: kicking (踢), hitting (打), wrestling (摔) and grabbing (Chin na, 拿). A complete system will necessary include all four types of applications but each style will differ in their training focus

it can be unexpectedly difficult to learn these skills at present. Most of the schools in and around Shaolin these days teach a combination of kong fan (acrobatics空翻 []), jibengong (basics 基本功) taolu (forms套路), Sanda (kick boxing with throws散打), and some jueji (specialty skills 绝技). Many of the old ways and applications are being lost with time. It is not uncommon for current-day students to train in the empty hand and weapons forms without learning the meaning behind the movements.
    Interesting... coming from the horse's mouth there. But he did find a good one, rooting around.
    Pretty much an old type of problem in scouting for teachers.
    Dengfeng sure is a busy MA place though.
    "顺其自然"

It is called practicing, you guys should try it sometime, it is really good for your kung fu training.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    It is called practicing, you guys should try it sometime, it is really good for your kung fu training.
    I practice the randori method shown in the video I posted, and I practiced it for 6 years in Japan.

Part of writing articles and putting videos of yourself out there is taking criticism and responding with class. If you can't take a few jabs (or Jim Carrey videos) from a few bozos on the internet, how do you handle life as a serious martial artist?
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Celebrity Derangement Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    Jim Carrey Knife Defense Humor Video
    Jim Carey came down with Trump Derangement Syndrome. Quite sad really. One of those that believed the fairy tales of the MSN and broke under the strain of the truth come crashing in in the form of an election which rejected the lies.
    I can't enjoy him anymore , neither can the large part of America he insists on offending.

Jim Carrey has ruined Jim Carrey, he's cutting himself. It's like a self laceration syndrome at the box office.
    They need a Rehab centre in Hollywood for these people. First isolate them from the cult bubble, then keep red pilling them til they snap out of it.Maybe they have some friends that can arrange an intervention to get them help.

Celebrities Are Here to Help
    "顺其自然"

Any

He then handed me the mock blade and told me to attack. “What type of attack should I do?” I asked. “Any,” he told me. So I proceeded to attack with a diagonal swinging slash designed to cut open an opponent’s belly if it were a real blade. Within seconds of the attack I found myself tied up and on the floor, my attacking limb locked and the teacher kneeling on me with one knee. It is interesting to note that this finishing position is common in today’s BJJ and MMA competitions and is known as the knee on belly position. With Shaolin being the predecessor to all modern martial art grappling systems, ( 哎呀! :rolleyes: ) it is not surprising.
    Sounds pretty good. I don't hold that TCMA and TMA practice is LARPing, though probably it can be.
    The last sentence: they still have this swollen head fantasy that Shaolin was responsible for all the Kungfu in China. That is always so annoying to listen to. Especially since they brought in a lot of Government Fu and called it Shaolin. That makes it even more annoying. Does anyone even know what they practiced at Shaolin even 100 years ago? I think they are not sure.
    There is no proof of any connection between many of the major styles in China and Shaolin. Stories about connections between the founders and Shaolin were made up as legend long after the fact, just to give the common people a stamp of their style's legitimacy.
    It's like children, they need their creation myth. (EG The founder (of some style) fought 10 assassins for three days)
    My Tibetan White Crane Kungfu ancestors apparently burned down one of their monasteries, a southern one. The TWC developed in the service of the Emperors as Warrior Scholars, not at Shaolin.
    Last edited by wolfen; 01-21-2018 at 01:40 AM.
    "顺其自然"

Finishes

Knife defense 1 - Die less often

It's just a part of some system of knife defense that you would need to know all the parts.
    However, I don't agree with the last part of this. But it depends on what you've trained in.
    Sure, if arm controls are not natural to you then get out! Run!
    If things go helter skelter, yeah I would never try to wrestle and I certainly wouldn't go to ground with the knife guy.
    However, if I got control of the arm, as this guy has, I'm going to keep it and finish the job while standing. I've done it literally thousands of times in both Aikido and Hapkido, feeling the control, knowing where the break point is. Just break the arm at the very least.
    I don't see the value in just letting go- giving up ground I have won.
    I can't run that fast.. If I just knock the perp down, the odds are he'll come after me.
    Leave the perp screaming on the ground, he won't be coming after you.
    Oh well, maybe he will with the knife in the other hand - crack, adrenalin and all that.

====>

I saw a video, a guy tried to take a robber in a convenience store to the ground and BJJ him. The perp had a pocket knife and used it. Then while the clerk was bleeding still lying on the floor, the robber with a cool head, collected his jacket and ran out.
    Last edited by wolfen; 01-21-2018 at 02:49 AM.
    "顺其自然"

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c
    Thought I would be nice guy and add this link, many people who hang around message boards seem to need this.https://tinybuddha.com/blog/4-ways-t...personal-gain/
    Thanks, Shifu.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    Jim Carey came down with Trump Derangement Syndrome. Quite sad really. One of those that believed the fairy tales of the MSN and broke under the strain of the truth come crashing in in the form of an election which rejected the lies.
    Well, whatever the politics, I think Jim Carrey has a great self-help message and his videos are funny fair comment on some of the more egregious sillyness in MA. I liked the DLO vid btw.
    Last edited by rett2; 01-23-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    Well, whatever the politics, I think Jim Carrey has a great self-help message and his videos are funny fair comment on some of the more egregious sillyness in MA. I liked the DLO vid btw.
    I wouldn't recommend getting self help advice from someone who couldn't put politics aside and had a breakdown when MSN propaganda took over his brain like some alien virus.

If you want self help on the internet give Jordan Peterson a listen or try his new book or his Self Authoring Program.

Intro To Self Authoring

Other Youtube Videos

Self Authoring - It changes You

Preview: 12 RULES FOR LIFE: An Antidote to Chaos

Thirty years ago you could put politics aside, today it will put you aside via the MSN Entertainment-News unless you have a defense against it. Progressive Leftism under Globalist Marxism is dedicated to hollow out each and every citizen and reprogram them as empty shells in service of the state.
    Last edited by wolfen; 01-28-2018 at 02:00 AM.
    "顺其自然"

I wouldn't recommend getting self help advice from someone who couldn't put politics aside and had a breakdown when MSN propaganda took over his brain like some alien virus. Thirty years ago you could put politics aside, today it will put you aside via the MSN Entertainment-News unless you have a defense against it. Progressive Leftism under Globalist Marxism is dedicated to hollow out each and every citizen and reprogram them as empty shells in service of the state.
    So what you're saying is, Jim Carrey's an alien shellfish?

The last sentence: they still have this swollen head fantasy that Shaolin was responsible for all the Kungfu in China. That is always so annoying to listen to. Especially since they brought in a lot of Government Fu and called it Shaolin. That makes it even more annoying. Does anyone even know what they practiced at Shaolin even 100 years ago? I think they are not sure.
    There is no proof of any connection between many of the major styles in China and Shaolin. Stories about connections between the founders and Shaolin were made up as legend long after the fact, just to give the common people a stamp of their style's legitimacy.
    This is just my own opinion, but I think the martial arts as we know them are from the 1800s and later. I think the common thread is commerce (people were either protecting or stealing stuff). Something I look for are common martial movements - and to me, when you look all over the trade areas for the entire region, you see a lot of commonality in techniques and strategy (put a knife in your hand, do the same movements you've been doing for years in "x" chinese style and people will swear you're doing kali, etc.) Now some would say that was the shaolin root, but I don't think so because it was common practice to attribute everything to an ancient hero or place to give it more legitimacy. Pirates, merchants, and guards had preferred techniques they shared. These techniques were grouped into styles. Some enterprising person with marketing flair took these styles and added an origin story. Every region has it's own emphasis. For better marketing, add some street performance, some opera, some folk lore...

Not to get too far off the subject from knife defenses, but many people consider Chaquan to be Northern Shaolin, when in fact, Chaquan was created (or at least systematized) by Chinese Muslims. That is one glaring example of a non-Shaolin or non-Buddhist-based MA often lumped into the 'Shaolin' category.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-29-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Think you guys worrying about whether your style was based on a cricket or a centipede a thousand years ago need to get off your fat lazy asses and train more instead of bickering on message boards all day. None of the BS matters, what matters is how hard you work and the benefits you get from it.
    As for knife defense, o look Japanese armed forces practices "Techniques" for knife defense really sad says the coach potato as he eats his chips, watching tv and takes a short break to give advice on MA haha.

Not everybody who replied to this thread is fat and lazy, and not everybody is attacking your posts, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Not everybody who replied to this thread is fat and lazy, and not everybody is attacking your posts, either.
    yes you are right jimbo, just directing that to those that are a part of the modern trend.