Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: grappling vs knife vid

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Think you guys worrying about whether your style was based on a cricket or a centipede a thousand years ago need to get off your fat lazy asses and train more instead of bickering on message boards all day. None of the BS matters, what matters is how hard you work and the benefits you get from it.
    Thanks, Shifu.

Think you guys worrying about whether your style was based on a cricket or a centipede a thousand years ago need to get off your fat lazy asses and train more instead of bickering on message boards all day. None of the BS matters, what matters is how hard you work and the benefits you get from it.
    As for knife defense, o look Japanese armed forces practices "Techniques" for knife defense really sad says the coach potato as he eats his chips, watching tv and takes a short break to give advice on MA haha.
    looks like somebody had a big-o-bowl of grumpy-os this morning I won't hold it against you, everyone has days when they roll off the grumpy side of the bed... Anyway, like Jimbo said, we're not attacking your video, I give kudos to you, or anyone, who takes the time to write and produce material that helps spread and promote the martial arts.
    -----

That Japanese video you posted looks like the Japanese are still using the techniques from FM 21-150.

This is a little more current:

----

Sometimes the hard work i.e. working out is the benefit. That's been my position on TMA lately. The benefits of practicing a traditional martial art greatly outweigh the benefits of not practicing. My only issue now is that people sometimes confuse and exaggerate the limits of what that practice can do, and a lot of that is in the intention behind the training along with the limits of the techniques of the system.

My point about the origin can be empowering if one looks at it in a non-negative light. It should remind a person that a Martial Art is a response to a personal need. That need evolves with time. Also the need is influenced by environment and culture.

The challenge to a martial artist is properly determining the need they are trying to fill and then determining if they are truly utilizing the best practices to fill that need.

And it is a challenge. Look at that US Military vid - they are constantly evaluating and evolving.
    Last edited by MightyB; 02-01-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Yeah Mighty B it just seems to be the popular trend to attack people who do things with their life out of jealously. These people do so without knowing the sacrifices those people have made to get to the point they are at. It seems to be acceptable these days to act like punks cause they are behind a screen. If people just sit back and accept it, it will go on and on. I'm a creative writer, working on a true crime novel had over 40 article published, if someone wants to come at me with the words bring it, I can lower their self-esteem even more.

As for the military they seem to go with whatever is popular at the time. If they want to use sport grappling as their training methods, not going to say it is a bad thing ,definitely has value. The thing is people point a finger when TMA practice a technique, but I already proved all styles practice in this way. There are different aspects of training and this is one , not the only way. Empty hand vs a knife is a last resort, when there is no space to gain distance, no objects to pick up and use as an improvised weapon, or when you can't run. Show me a single guy on this board or any other that has repeated success dealing empty handedly against knife wielding opponents on multiple occasion and I will listen to him. Otherwise it will most likely be some potato chip eating slob behind a keyboard who doesn't even train regularly pretending to have wisdom to impart. My brother took down a guy with a broken bottle defending one of his friends in a bar fight once. He had a wrestling background. He used many of the principles you see in my demonstration, the key points that we are isolating and practicing, things like avoid, capture, and control. That is all you really could hope for in such a last ditch effort of controlling a blade empty handed.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 02-02-2018 at 06:04 AM.

Otherwise it will most likely be some potato chip eating slob behind a keyboard who doesn't even train regularly pretending to have wisdom to impart.
    Let's see.... Pazman and Wolfen are the people who just had posted not-very-critical, reasonable comments when you wrote:

It is called practicing, you guys should try it sometime, it is really good for your kung fu training.
    Jimbo and MightyB are the people who had just posted not-very-critical, reasonable comments when you wrote:

Think you guys worrying about whether your style was based on a cricket or a centipede a thousand years ago need to get off your fat lazy asses and train more instead of bickering on message boards all day.
    So you're calling Pazman, Wolfen, Jimbo and MightyB "chip eating slobs" who don't train, when all of them were actually responding respectfully in different ways. That's how it comes across. Just sayin.
    Last edited by rett2; 02-01-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Yeah Mighty B it just seems to be the popular trend to attack people who do things with their life on the internet out of jealously. These people do so without knowing the sacrifices those people have made to get to the point they are at. It seems to be acceptable these days to act like punks cause they are behind a screen. If people just sit back and accept it, it will go on and on. I'm a creative writer, working on a true crime novel had over 40 article published, if someone wants to come at me with the words bring it, I can lower their self-esteem even more.

As for the military they seem to go with whatever is popular at the time. If they want to use sport grappling as their training methods, not going to say it is a bad thing ,definitely has value. The thing is people point a finger when TMA practice a technique, but I already proved all style practice in this way. There are different aspects of training and this is one , not the only way. Empty hand vs a knife is a last resort, when there is no space to gain distance, no objects to pick up and use as an improvised weapon, or when you can't run. Show me a single guy on this board or any other that has repeated successful experience dealing empty handed againsta knife wielding opponents successfully on multiple occasion and I will listen to hm. Otherwise it will most likely be some potato chip eating slob behind a keyboard who doesn't even train regularly pretending to have wisdom to impart.
    I hear you... Anybody that thinks writing isn't work is an idiot. Nothing's tougher than creating something and putting it out there in the general public because you know some people will criticize it no matter what it is. So you just have to blow them off.

I agree with you 150% on the knife thing, there is no good alternative for empty hand vs knife. I once read an unpublished Fairbairn military manual where he stated it's nearly impossible to disarm a trained knife fighter. They (military) more or less go through the training as part of a ritual to develop fighting spirit and on the off-chance that someone could get lucky if they had to use the techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I hear you... Anybody that thinks writing isn't work is an idiot. Nothing's tougher than creating something and putting it out there in the general public because you know some people will criticize it no matter what it is. So you just have to blow them off.

I agree with you 150% on the knife thing, there is no good alternative for empty hand vs knife. I once read an unpublished Fairbairn military manual where he stated it's nearly impossible to disarm a trained knife fighter. They (military) more or less go through the training as part of a ritual to develop fighting spirit and on the off-chance that someone could get lucky if they had to use the techniques.
    Exactly thank you.

yes you are right jimbo, just directing that to those that are a part of the modern trend.
    It's not a modern trend Shrfu, but it always come up when someone puts something on the web and doesn't get favourable responses Shrfu. It's been around since the first knife defense video came out. You know why?

I know you won't see this cause you've got me on ignore, so go along your merry life pretending to be something and putting out instructional articles and vids for your loyal followers.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Please keep discussions civil.
    Thank you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This message is hidden because Brule is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

work those fingers, work those fingers. As for me https://www.jetli.com/2018/02/day-li...reign-disciple

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Thank you.
    I thought they were. I don't recall anything getting out of hand. oh well, someones feeling must have been hurt and they ran to tell the mods.

Can't wait for the next article about life at shaolin from an outsider's perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

civility is relative, especially lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    I thought they were. I don't recall anything getting out of hand. oh well, someones feeling must have been hurt and they ran to tell the mods.

Can't wait for the next article about life at shaolin from an outsider's perspective.
    Day In The Life Of A Foreign Disciple
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Thank you.
    Here's a rundown of what was deleted.

Wiz posted a meme of a morbidly obese guy using his gut as a tray to put his keyboard on, implying in the text that that's what brule looks like.

I posted a pic of Charlie Chaplain trying to eat sausages with no hands.

Wiz posted that he's blocking my posts.

So what exactly needed airbrushing out, and why?

airbrushing? you mean photoshopping.

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    and why?
    Russian bots
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Last edited by rett2; 03-01-2018 at 06:54 AM.