Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7 Star forms

blooming lotus,

Yes you're right the cultural revolution certainly killed of many things. But in terms of tracing the origins of the specise, it is actually a mish mesh web as opposed to a well formed bonsai tree.

Why, because, many teachers learn a variety of northern styles and they influence how they play their mantis.

But fortuantely, all northern kung fu is pretty similar. I hadn't been a big historian when I was prac. kung fu, just the ability to hit well and move well. Now that I have all the time on my hands I can afford to be more nostalgic.

nostalgic nothing. When we're talking gongfu, to be serious, at some stage for accuracy and best information sake it becomes a point you need to work on.

blooming lotus,

I find kung fu to be rather messy. For example in the place where Northern mantis originated - in Shandong, it was a place for ruffians, pirates, sailors, bandits and the like. they brought with them all sorts of fighting styles. Mantis was then tested along the silk roads where it encountered different tribes men, even possibly Russians.

In the end, it comes down to good body movement. What ever, you decide to term it, be it chi or biomechanics suit yourself. When I did northern kung fu, I did what was practical and excluded the fancyful names.

But then again I'm always happy to stand corrected by blooming lotus

Mainland Forms

FS

To return to your original question, I did some looking at forms I have seen or heard of on the mainland. What I see is that Mainland 7* by my reconing has about 31+ forms. This is not far from the corpus of WHF Tanglang and CCY. The difference being that most HK Tanglang teaches drunken sets, and the 14 Roads of LKY where the mainland school has the Tan Tui 12 roads, other differences have been discussed such as the number of White Ape sets the absence of any second route sets and no Ba Zhou set.

We are far more alike than different-though it can be said that mainland 7* of all branches and in all cities is more alike than they are to HK Tanglang. The debate on who changed is for others to debate, I do not have an answer on that score as much as I have observations.

Hope it helps,

Steve Cottrell
    www.mantisquarterly.com
    www.authentickungfu.com

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
    blooming lotus,

I find kung fu to be rather messy. For example in the place where Northern mantis originated - in Shandong, it was a place for ruffians, pirates, sailors, bandits and the like. they brought with them all sorts of fighting styles. Mantis was then tested along the silk roads where it encountered different tribes men, even possibly Russians.

In the end, it comes down to good body movement. What ever, you decide to term it, be it chi or biomechanics suit yourself. When I did northern kung fu, I did what was practical and excluded the fancyful names.

But then again I'm always happy to stand corrected by blooming lotus
    Ego!!

Stop loving my jazz so unbiasedly ha??!!! objectivity , even amongst those you seroiusly dig, is a ****her step to enlightenment and your own value!!

I realise that alot of styles went down and spread from here ( japan - sino war come CR period) and various places received various versions. It appears Hong Kong received ( re: - mantis and no doubt others) jazz we in the mainland no longer have circulating.

There's valid discussion here, but crux is that War and War brought change, mainland deprived of info and puzzle pieces all over.... can you put it back together on your own merit??? Now THAT is doing it real style

blooming lotus,

"Stop loving my jazz so unbiasedly ha??!!!"

You are one hell of a sax player!!!! Ha

To get back to the topic, if you want to put the real style back together you have to acknowledge the mess. You also cannot do so from a historian's point of view or be nostalgic doing form no. 98 and then form No. 99 and learning all the fancyful names. no no no.

You gotta train and feel the essence of the system ie. how it works in combat. In doing so, it might bring one tiny step to what the prac. of those days would be experience - given that our lives are much more sedate.

Maybe you could try training in some northern kung fu to get the experience. Again I'm happy to stand corrected.

Re: Mainland Forms

Originally posted by MantisifuFW
    FS

To return to your original question, I did some looking at forms I have seen or heard of on the mainland. What I see is that Mainland 7* by my reconing has about 31+ forms. This is not far from the corpus of WHF Tanglang and CCY. The difference being that most HK Tanglang teaches drunken sets, and the 14 Roads of LKY where the mainland school has the Tan Tui 12 roads, other differences have been discussed such as the number of White Ape sets the absence of any second route sets and no Ba Zhou set.

We are far more alike than different-though it can be said that mainland 7* of all branches and in all cities is more alike than they are to HK Tanglang. The debate on who changed is for others to debate, I do not have an answer on that score as much as I have observations.

Hope it helps,

Steve Cottrell
    there's a discussion going on in "lingo question " thread that also has some good links.

cheers

Ego....

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    There's valid discussion here, but crux is that War and War brought change, mainland deprived of info and puzzle pieces all over.... can you put it back together on your own merit???
    good point and one that I think Master Shr made this past week in regards to the exodus of teachers from mainland China to Taiwan.

it's been scattered for sure and I think the most important thing is to make an effort to gather it all back again. but a lot of people will have to set aside their ego's for information to flow.

it's really not surprising when someone who has put their blood, sweat and tears into something HAS to hold on to it as 'the one true' style. It's a terrible loss when you discover what you've been doing for a long time is possibly not what you were told it was.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

OSO / BL,

For a long time, mantis has been passed on without firm records. In fact only the 1st form Bung Bu is consistent through out. The higher forms have their variations depending on which teacher you speak to.

So in coming down to what is the real deal, we look for the essence within the forms which should be shown in the fighting abilities of the students.

At the end of the day, people who train kung fu are fighters, that's just what we do. right?

Mainlang Tanglang Sets

EE,

I am intrigued by your observations concerning Bengbu as the only consistent set throughout 7*. Perhaps the matter is one of degree. Please understand that I in no way want to be in a debate, only to share my experience.

To begin with, my own experience is indeed limited as I have trained only a few times in Qingdao, Yantai and Shanghai Qixing Tanglang. But I found that the forms we had in common all had about the same degree of similarity in movement. Their Bengbu was different from ours but I immediately recognised it as such and found many common movments. The same goes for Cha Chui, Dou Gang, `1st and 2nd Route Essentials.

There are profound differences in the Bai Yuan sets but is made up with in simialities with their Bai Yuan and our Tanglang sets. I would be interested in the lines you investigated. Perhaps we explored different groups and I would be very interested in the differences.

Oso,
    As for the exodus to Taiwan, the main group who went there were mostly practitioners from the Qingdao/ Laiyang group, (there might have been others but my research is incomplete in this area) and not all of the significant practitioners left that city either. Nearly all of them who did leave were of Meihua lineage. Though there was a brain drain in that area, it did not leave those remaining without masters of great knowledge and ability.

7* on the other hand, remained nearly entirely on the Mainland overall and preserved their line there. Hence there not being 7* populations in Taiwan or elsewhere besides the HK variety in any great number.

There are many problems in such research. One is the size of the sample and the number of oral and written histories the researcher can obtain. Work continues...

Hope it helps to have another perspective,

Steve Cottrell
    www.mantisquarterly.com
    www.authentickungfu.com

I'm sure you realise , but the "exodus" was not only to Taiwan but everywhere from KG / Japan ?> Us and ****her....... It is a definate mish to gather your facts vigilantly, but no doubt worth the reward, and for those that have been or are going there, everyone else 'd be seriuosly interested to hear a brief on your findings.

cheers maers

Indeed

BL,

You are correct. Research will take time. Much of my work is built on the work of others and what I have been able to find out on my trips to China. Eventually I would like to explore the Japan connection particularly. What I have found so far is that Su Yu Cheong (of Taiwan) is probablly the father of the earliese Tanglang movement in Japan. However Sifu Phillip Man Chow of WHF line did a great deal at about the same time. So far, I have found no mainland influence soon after the revolution...but I am not finished by a long shot!

England has had early mainland influence but I have yet to do a lot of investigation there. It is the only mainland 7* I have found thus far in the early years.

That much remained on the mainland, however, is clear, however, with such knowledgable and powerful Tanglang men such as Ilya Profatilov and Brendan Tunks being the evidence.

Good point!

Steve Cottrell
    www.mantisquarterly.com
    www.authentickungfu.com

MantisifuFW,

I guess its hard to explain fully in words unless you can see the demo infront of you. In Bung Bu, depending on which schools you go to some movements are emphasised more than in others. I'm not familar with the "essentials set", but I know depending on which teacher you go to they may emphasise on some forms and not others. However, I tend to break mantis down in terms of the usage as opposed to the number / names of forms. Tactics are covered in Bung Bu, then you'll probably deal with close in fighting and then chasing down opponents etc....

I tend to look compare forms as the 'text books' you may use at a particular school versus other schools. You may cover different forms but essentially learn the same content - that is the important part I think.

Perspective

EE,

Understood. I also approach applications and combat as you have described. I guess in many ways I am a "button sorter" in terms of analysis of form. Part of the curse of trying to do research is that you focus hard on nuance when in that mode.

Great to make you acquaintence!

Steve Cottrell
    www.mantisquarterly.com
    www.authentickungfu.com

MantisifuFW,

So if we put aside the names such as 7 star, 8 step, etc.... in your catalogue, how many distinct variations of mantis are there?