Thread: Question for those who might know might know more about these things

1. Question for those who might know might know more about these things

Exactly what does Taichi Tang Lang Draw from Taichi? I see the forms and i don't really get it.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Give yourself up and find yourself
    reborn.
    -----------------------------------------------

Smile Taiji Tanglang and its lineages...

This is an interesting question. I can offer you some thoughts. Please bear in mind that these are personal observations and they do not represent others' view but my very own.

First and foremost, it is currently accepted in mainland China that there are basically 4 main styles of Shandong Tanglangquan. They are Taiji (Grand ultimate), Meihwa/Taiji Meihwa (Plum Flower), Qixing (Seven Stars) and Liuhe (Six Harmonies).

Within each styles, there are substyles. There is no doubt that both Taiji and Meihwa/Taiji Meihwa are derived from Classical Tanglang of Liang Xuexiang.

There are many theories about the name Taiji Tanglang. Some people seem to think that it is a blend of Taiji and Tanglang; hence, there is the confusion. Some people even claim that Liang Xuexiang has Taiji Training which has not be substantiated.

Classical Tanglang of Liang Xuexiang DID NOT include Taijiquan training at all! However, the system's theories indeed derived from the I Ching (book of change). This is crystal clear as seen in the forms and in the Quanpu (manuscripts). There are plenty of "Yinying", "Gangrou", and "Huishi".

His students however could have added certain aspects of Taijiquan.

The Hong Kong branch of Taiji Tanglang was found by the later Grandmaster Chiu Chuk Kai of Shandong. This particular branch is now a substyle of the TJPM. The CCK TCPM is a blend of Taizu Men, TJPM, and Taijiquan.

I have observed the early students (mostly from Vietnam) of GM Chiu and his later students from HK. The difference is that the early students are more Tanglang like. Their movements are fast sharp and agile. The later students are swift, relaxed, body more upright, and the frame is more open. This is more like Taijiquan but being played at a much faster pace. This is somewhat a departure from one of the Classical Tanglang's main tenets "Ying Beng Shi Dao" (Hard crashing and solid crushing). This is more apparent when it comes to applications.

Hope this helps.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Talking more please

on 'taizu men'

TIA
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"