Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so what'd ya think of the seattle tournament?

so what'd ya think of the seattle tournament?

i honestly thought there would be a lot of west coast competition. but really, it was mainly from east coast. a smaller tournament than i expected but its just the first by the us traditional kung fu wushu fed.

excellent competition tho!
    jowgakungfu.com
    shaolinroundtable.com

Any vids online?

any pictures from it? i totally forgot about it. so it was mainly eastcoast? any good competition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Blog Entries
    I think it wasn't in Seattle, it was in Sea-Tac.

YO TAMMY!!!

I had a good time, considering the hurricane down here in florida... I kept thinking of my family and friends, when i left it wasnt sure where it was goin...

I mainly had a great time because I got to hang with Tammy and the Jow Ga crew, all of Tai Yim's students, all of the Wah Lum crew, all of the Chin Woo crew and Ma Kin Fung's students too... There were alot of nice people there, a team from Hong Kong, in which most were impressive...

The kung fu was top notch, the competitors became close friends right before my eyes... A great inspiration on how kung fu people should be, they were cheering for each other, and having a great time...

The exhibition was good, i had to do a lion dance to represent my school (unwillingly), saw some real good traditional kung fu, mainly Jow Ga, Hung Fut, Northern Shaolin, Chin Woo, Choy Lay Fut, Hung Gar, Northern and Southern Mantis, Tai Chi and some others...

Got to hang out with Fu Pow... Thanks for a great time!!!

My Hop Gar brothers under David Chin, love those guys too...

One thing is for sure... It was a great place to see some of the best traditional Kung Fu around, there were many missing, but I was very impressed with the level of kung fu..

Joe

Sorry I missed y'all

Gigi said they all spoke Cantonese, which made me laugh hysterically.

So, did this qualifiy anyone to go to China in Oct? Who's going to China in Oct?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I didn't think there was an association between this group and Goh.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

This groups has ZERO association with Goh's USAWKF. In fact, I would wager that to talk about one would be considered insulting

Anyway, MOST of those in the group are Cantonese speaking though some do speak Mandarin.

The competition being spoken of is open to more than just the recognized IWuF organizations. It is stated that it is a Traditional Competition - as opposed to one that is running only Contemporary Compulsories.

I thought, like worlds, etc. You needed to be recognized by IWuF to be in this Trad. Mart. Arts tournie in China.....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Nope...they are going for a broader audience.

On the idealistic yet naive side, this could simply be that they want to spread the art and competitions - AND the knowledge that Traditional is alive and well - to the world.

A little more realistic - more groups, more fees, and more money from the folks coming...it is better financially for them.

And adding a bit of politics...maybe, just maybe, they are seeing who is out there in the IWuF recognized countries. There are a large number of IWuF member countries that have their national organization in some form of political brouhaha.... this could also help them find another group or even a coalition for those countries...and get it going with enough time to have something that works before 2008.

Nah...no one would think THAT far in advance.

Curiouser and curiouser

That's the interesting thing about the Oct tournament. Initially the USAWKF was saying that they had sole authority to send teams to Zhengzhou, but members of the USTKFWF said that they had been invited too. Originally, the Seattle tournament was supposed to not only be their initial event, but also their qualifier for Zhengzhou. However, at this point, I'm not sure what is happening with that. The USAWKF did run lots of little qualifiers, mostly internal school events, to authorize several teams to go. It was all posted on their site, but not really promoted elsewhere.

So I ask again, who is going to show in Zhengzhou? We'll be there, and we'll let you know.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Seattle afterthoughts

The competition was a great experience. I've always gotten the chance to meet other Sifus from other schools, but this is the first time that our group actually got to meet other students from different styles. As Sow Choy said above, it was great seeing the students cheering for each other during the competition, a rare thing to me...hopefully its pushing all of us to train harder to help maintain the level and quality of our respective styles. I'm looking forward to next year's tournament, and hopefully Florida students won't be left out.

i know this sounds weird but...

i really really really wanted the 4th place medal. they had like a black shiny color to them! it wuz like a medal i never had before. i would've gladly traded a gold for a black one...

i had an awsome time meetin new people and makin new friends. good times.
    jowgakungfu.com
    shaolinroundtable.com

HAHA

You're not alone,...actually I had the guts to trade a bronze for a black medal after one of the Chin Woo guys said he'd do it too, we both agreed that the black ones were really nice, so we traded our bronzes for black ones at the end of the competition. In principle I felt kinda bad doing it, but the medals looked too good to pass up....yeah~

come on, just ask the organizer for the phone number of the shop that made the "medal" and just buy them yourself. see, everyone can get a medal that he/she wanted.
    dazed and confused