Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmm, reaction speed

Hmm, reaction speed

Ok, I bet if someone was to just walk up to me and just try to punch me in the face, most likely I doubt I'd see that coming. So, any exercises out there for you to somehow develop reaction speed or time.
    Be water my friend.

Headache bags work wonders. They also teach you to keep your gaurd up.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

there's a well known technique for this going way back involving snap striking into a towel or even paper. The point benind this is to develope fajing / snappy power so instead of using your pushing force ( as in against a wallk or bag etc) you develop the snap / speed skill. I also work my speed by hardcore rounds with a wall or bag. For increased awareness of opponents movements, try some meditation on being aware of your environment. What moves, how does it, at what speed and pattern??

There are many arts( particularly wingchun and ninjutsu) that promote seeing without seeing. if you condition your snappy power, and can remain vigilant of your environment, I think you're doing well.

There are many arts( particularly wingchun and ninjutsu) that promote seeing without seeing.

Plus, Ninjas are totally sweet! Sometimes they flip out and kill people!
    Bodhi Richards

Yeah, while whaling away on their guitars!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Well, I should throw out the obligatory crotty response: two-man drills. BEEYOTCH!
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by Vash
    BEEYOTCH!
    Is that what they're yelling instead of "KI-AI!" these days??
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Badminton

Play 'headhunting' badminton. get your friends to smash straight at you. Great for your evasion reflexes
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Originally posted by Matrix
    Is that what they're yelling instead of "KI-AI!" these days??
    LOL
    Be water my friend.

Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
    Headache bags work wonders. They also teach you to keep your gaurd up.

what are headache bags ? What exercises can you do with them increase reaction time and so forth ?
    A man runs 3-4 miles per day, bragging about the extra 10 years of life it creates, unaware that he is spending them running.

Maybe get a double end bag?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by Samurai Jack
    There are many arts( particularly wingchun and ninjutsu) that promote seeing without seeing.

Plus, Ninjas are totally sweet! Sometimes they flip out and kill people!
    like they do anything else between vs 3 and the outro

Re: Badminton

Originally posted by sticky fingers
    Play 'headhunting' badminton. get your friends to smash straight at you. Great for your evasion reflexes
    Good idea! Also consider trying Paint Ball for longer ranges. Those things can leave a nice calling card.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Our Sifu was talking to us about that once. He said , "Man, you guys are way too relaxed. " For homework, he said he wanted us to spend more time when walking or when talking to people, think about what you'd do if that person was to attack you, if someone jumped out from behind a car in a parking lot, walked up behind you ready to rob you. He doesn't want us paranoid and dangerous to our loved ones who might walk up and put a hand on our back, but he doesn't want us to be so relaxed.

Two man drills are great, but you have to have the attitude and awareness. I've found the best way to maintain that attitude is have a lot of things that remind you of your training around you. Even at work, a General Kwan statue or a miniature weapons rack will work wonders.

Originally posted by Scythefall
    Our Sifu was talking to us about that once. He said , "Man, you guys are way too relaxed. " For homework, he said he wanted us to spend more time when walking or when talking to people, think about what you'd do if that person was to attack you, if someone jumped out from behind a car in a parking lot, walked up behind you ready to rob you. He doesn't want us paranoid and dangerous to our loved ones who might walk up and put a hand on our back, but he doesn't want us to be so relaxed.

Two man drills are great, but you have to have the attitude and awareness. I've found the best way to maintain that attitude is have a lot of things that remind you of your training around you. Even at work, a General Kwan statue or a miniature weapons rack will work wonders.
    Hmm... Ill keep that in mind.
    Any more suggestions, anyone?
    Be water my friend.