Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lingo question

THat is extremely cool. I think during that time the japan-sino war was happening right? It makes sense he would've penned it then, and we'll look forward to hearing anything we might miss elsewhere.

cheers

Cool!

Mantiscool,

Excellent! Thank you for providing that example. I have one with the same style cover that is a combination as I mentioned above. I also have a Duo Gang/Sup Baat Sao combination book from 1997! I acutally thought Yimei Publications had gone under long before that. You dont' happen to know if the company is still in business do you? I had heard they had closed and all that was out there was some books in storage areas and stores, (and some knock offs in Taiwan of course).

Anyway, the newer books do not have the introduction that the older ones do.

Thank you for sharing Mantiscool,

Steve Cottrell
    www.mantisquarterly.com
    www.authentickungfu.com

Not to harp on semantics, but isn't the Cantonese translation of Sup Baht Sao 18 Ancestors?

Nevermind to my last post. I did a search on Sup Baht Sao. In case you were interested here is a link to the form.
    Sup Baht Sao

there's another discussion going on in another thread about the exact same style would you believe.... I think the thread is " lingo question" ...

they'd appreciate your input so feel free to visit it.

Hey Eyebrows - put down the bottle and have a look at the title of this thread.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I am sorry! I rechecked my book and infact the combination was published in 1968 and not 1974 or 76 as I have mentioned. It was before WHF's death and by his son.

My copy was from my sifu who acquired it from WHF in the 50's and I dont think we can find it from any bookstore already.

Attached is a Dou Gang explanation in mandarin from Wei Hong Sing, the first graduate of WHF.

Originally posted by Serpent
    Hey Eyebrows - put down the bottle and have a look at the title of this thread.

I knew that thread was around here somewhere

just went back and rechecked, meant the nth mantis thread on 7* forms.

Last edited by blooming lotus; 09-15-2004 at 03:21 AM.

Originally posted by MantisCool
    I am sorry! I rechecked my book and infact the combination was published in 1968 and not 1974 or 76 as I have mentioned. It was before WHF's death and by his son.

My copy was from my sifu who acquired it from WHF in the 50's and I dont think we can find it from any bookstore already.

Attached is a Dou Gang explanation in mandarin from Wei Hong Sing, the first graduate of WHF.
    and in the combined edition is there much not printed from the original two?

translation cantonese -> mandarin

One question in between:
    If "Sup Baht Sao" translates to 18 Elders (or wise men or ancestors, imho all the same) then the mandarin for it wouldn't be "Shi Ba Shou", would it?
    Can someone give me the right mandarin translation? (Shi Ba ?)

Best Regards,

Puja

Shi = 10
    ba = 8

Neckbones, this was what I already knew.
    My question, which btw has been already answered on pm, was how you transalte Sao (Elders) to mandarin.
    So i was told it should be "Shi Ba Sou"

regards,

Puja
    Last edited by puja; 09-15-2004 at 09:13 AM.

Sao does not mean elders. Sao is the cantonese word for hand. The mandarin word for hand is shou. But, I think elder is zhang. Ancestor might be bei. Hope this helps. I might be getting the two mixed up.

Thank you all again for replying, its very helpful and inspiring

I may be completly wrong on this but I thought "zhang" was elbow and "bei" was northern

LawClansman mentioned that there is 18 palming techniques threw out the system not in 18 elders. Is there 18 hand techniques in the form, one for each of the 18 systems?

Dose anyone know who wrote the form and when?

Thanks again,
    ~Pest
    "No ones taller then the last man standing"
    I-Ninja

aaaahhhhh

Neckbone and Pest,

please do me a favour and read the Thread completly instead of asking thinks twice! Sorry, couldnīt resist!

To get this clear (again): the chinese words in our transcription are not necessary translated with only ONE meaning! Sau could be HAND or it could be ELDER/ANCESTOR. So, for every word (Sau, Bei, Zhang etc) there are numerous translations. The only way to get the right meaning is the chinese character!!! (And even the characters got sometimes more than one menaing!)
    If you canīt change the world - change yourself!
    And if you canīt change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site