Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The One-Handed Pushup

The One-Handed Pushup

Ok, after talking to a friend of mine about this, who can do this perfectly and many times, and of course taking his advice, I thought I'd share with you guys.

Some of you want to do this but cant, and heres something to help you...
    Get into your one handed pushup position (legs spread wide for good balance). Now, with your other hand, the one which you werent gonna use (left for most of us), use two fingers of that hand, so now you have one hand down, along with two helping fingers from your other hand. Tense up a little and go down, trying to balance your weight.

Thats practically all. Soon, you'll be doing one handed pushups quickly if you practice like this. May sound dumb to some of you, but works great for me.
    Keep in mind, two fingers is kinda easy, then just support yourself with one, and this is the way you will get stronger.
    Be water my friend.

Thumbs up

Good idea, I think I will give it a whirl.

then, when you get the hang of that, lift a leg as well. Awseome for balance and better to use opposites ( lft arm rght leg) if you can swing it.

enjoy

Then do some pullups for your triceps.

Haha sorry I couldn't resist.

Hey BL, have you ever seen that ab exercise where you balance on one arm and the opposite leg? I can't remember what it's called, but I might be able to find a picture of Pavel doing one.

And can you do dragon flags? Your high rep ab exercises won't help you do those. Dragon flags are a good test of ab strength.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

LOl @ IronFist

Good luck William

Finally, what are Dragon Flags?
    Be water my friend.

Originally posted by IronMonkey
    Finally, what are Dragon Flags?
    "Dragon Flags, a.k.a. reverse crunches, are done lying with your back flat on a bench. Hold the bench securely behind your head. Curl your legs up and push upwards straight above your head with weight resting on your shoulders. Keeping your legs straight and hips pushed forward, lower back to the ground"

Originally posted by FngSaiYuk
    "Dragon Flags, a.k.a. reverse crunches, are done lying with your back flat on a bench. Hold the bench securely behind your head. Curl your legs up and push upwards straight above your head with weight resting on your shoulders. Keeping your legs straight and hips pushed forward, lower back to the ground"
    Yea, friend of mine sent me link to site that describes this and shows video, hard for me, heh, thanks SaiYuk.
    Be water my friend.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Hey BL, have you ever seen that ab exercise where you balance on one arm and the opposite leg? I can't remember what it's called, but I might be able to find a picture of Pavel doing one.
    I used to do those sort of things. I'd lie there on hands and toes and raise one arm then the other then one leg then the other then opposite hands and legs together. Same principle as ab rollers.

Originally posted by IronFist
    And can you do dragon flags? Your high rep ab exercises won't help you do those. Dragon flags are a good test of ab strength.
    I suck at those. Hard work. Like doing an ab roller on my feet, I still can't do those.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Originally posted by IronMonkey
    Yea, friend of mine sent me link to site that describes this and shows video, hard for me, heh, thanks SaiYuk.
    Iron fist : -

you are a very funny guy

I really do have awesom,e abdominal stregth and would be confident to challenge almost anyone on an ab: ab contest ( despite the lil adipose ) that's been accumulating while travelling and drinking self stupid for lack of plan........ come chinese gaol stint prep ( but moving on ???)

do you have any idea how many of those I do each and every day ??? Enough to call you on it.

Dammed... love to do a run dmc style not dance but sweat sesh with ya, but kinda not within 3000 miles.

BS: high rep abs don't help...... mine are more inney abs but i've felt some torso from all sorts , and I think I can hold my head up .........

I know kip ups are abs and thighs and some aerials require seriously lean abs ( which 1/2 pie lacking for a week or bit ) , but I'm not sure there's many core ( ab) based exeercises I'd not feel confident facing off on .... nice try though babes

on tris though : have you tried a tri stretch come tri dip / extension BWE set??? Awesome results. check it out and compare your findings.........

like I said... you're a weighty boy and I dig working my bw ( and 70 + kgs luggage when porter not handy all over the GODAMMED country ...

probably much to muchness result wise, but wayly different no??

heard a comment from a hard core maer recently on leg strength: he asked " who has strongest legs we know???!!!" , wanting to increase his own and all, and ya the answer from the room???

....Dancers dude!! You think they're lifting weighhts?? Bushi ......no way!!!

it'[s all bwe , but tell me a dancer ( professional no less) has poor leg strength compared to other athletes??? can you do it and be truthful???

love to hear your thoughts.....

cheers

B
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 09-13-2004 at 07:37 PM.

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    do you have any idea how many of those I do each and every day ???
    At a guess I'd say none. I'm sure you do stomach exercises, but Iron was specifically asking about dragon flags. How many dragon flags do you do each and every day?

BS: high rep abs don't help...
    This from the girl who does 2hrs/day on the "ab-doer"? Why do that if it doesn't help?

( and 70 + kgs luggage when porter not handy all over the GODAMMED country ...
    You carry over 1.7 * your bodyweight around? Is that 70+ real kg or 70+ BL kg?

heard a comment from a hard core maer recently on leg strength: he asked " who has strongest legs we know???!!!" , wanting to increase his own and all, and ya the answer from the room???

....Dancers dude!! You think they're lifting weighhts?? Bushi ......no way!!!

it'[s all bwe , but tell me a dancer ( professional no less) has poor leg strength compared to other athletes??? can you do it and be truthful???
    Who's the mysterious "the room"? Just wondering who this authority on leg strength is ...

While I have no doubt dancers have good strength characteristics, I'm a ****phobe so it'd never be the activity for me. I'll name a couple of other sports where athletes typically have higher leg strength - weightlifting (Olympic and power) (duh), AFL, NFL, ARL, rugby union. I'm not saying that dancers have poor leg strength - they typically have excellent physiques - but I don't agree with "the room". I wouldn't say "Dancers have the strongest legs 'we' know."
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

a : on leg strength querey : ... just fellow kungfu bros ans sisters..........

B: if they don't have "it" then why do footballers take ballet to help their game???!!!

C: 70 + kgs Y8000 + of shopping + own girly gear weighed at each port.yah 70 kg real weight ( ps: did I mention the bis, back and tris looking good at pres )

D: obviously tobes you just don't get what i'm doing with the ab - doer..... I think my little sister still has my old one, and if not I'll get another. If and when I finally get home, I'm either dragging the doer to WA or taking some vid clip shots and posting them for you

E: Dragon Flags??? AS in reverse abs?? I do abs in every direction and angle , 600- 1300 min per day usually, yah ...I get the lower back in much the same load if not directly ......

maybe extra 2 % fat today ( jingtian) than nrom, but really, love my abs , squats, pushups, tris and isos above everything..............

wanna play ab absorbtion ( aka : gonna fock you if you don't get there first) ???

I don't care about your fat or your exo- morphaness, abs are under there and your rom and strike absorbtion speaks for itself.

wanna play?? ha?? ha Tobes... wanna play with B a lil??

being faciciast,( forgive me ......misperonounced this word in my iq test too . dammed sarcasism and optional wording !) but i'd take you up if you accepted , but playing nicely hard core right :P
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 09-13-2004 at 08:24 PM.

Are one handed push-ups using completely different muscles than normal push-ups ? I can throw down 75 normal push-ups, but I can't even do a single one handed push-up for my life.

a : on leg strength querey : ... just fellow kungfu bros ans sisters...
    Then you'll forgive me for not accepting that they know anything about strength.

B: if they don't have "it" then why do footballers take ballet to help their game???!!!
    How many footballers? All teams? All members of each team? If indeed any footballers do do ballet, I'd hazard to guess it would be more a coordination exercise than a strength drill.

C: 70 + kgs Y8000 + of shopping + own girly gear weighed at each port.yah 70 kg real weight ( ps: did I mention the bis, back and tris looking good at pres )
    I'd be impressed at you doing a farmer's walk any significant distance with 70+kg. That's like me doing it with 145kg. Not trivial.

... I'm either dragging the doer to WA or taking some vid clip shots and posting them for you
    Please, take the video .

E: Dragon Flags??? AS in reverse abs?? I do abs in every direction and angle , 600- 1300 min per day usually, yah ...I get the lower back in much the same load if not directly ...
    Reverse abs? Dunno what that is. Dragon flags is when you lie on a bench and hold the bench behind your head. You support your body on your shoulders/neck and raise and lower your legs from horizontal up to vertical while keeping your body and legs straight. 600-1300 per day of those? Right.

being faciciast,( forgive me ......misperonounced this word in my iq test too . dammed sarcasism and optional wording !) ...
    Faciciast? Misperonounced? Sarcasism? I get what you're trying to say with the latter two, but what do you mean by faciciast? Are you being a fascist? Are you being farcical? 'Cause neither makes sense.
    ... i'd take you up if you accepted , but playing nicely hard core right :P
    No thanks, you'd kick my ass in endurance. But I could easily pick you up and throw you. Quite some distance too, I'd imagine. Like those dwarf-tossing contests they play at pubs that are so politically incorrect these days.

Originally posted by KaiKhoon
    Are one handed push-ups using completely different muscles than normal push-ups ? I can throw down 75 normal push-ups, but I can't even do a single one handed push-up for my life.
    Just like Hindu squats use different characteristics than pistols, one-handed will require much more strength than two-handed (and especially a higher strength-to-mass ratio). But balance and structure are also important factors.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toby
    Then you'll forgive me for not accepting that they know anything about strength.

How many footballers? All teams? All members of each team? If indeed any footballers do do ballet, I'd hazard to guess it would be more a coordination exercise than a strength drill.

yah.... and leg strength / mobility naturally ensues..........more they bargained for ha

I'd be impressed at you doing a farmer's walk any significant distance with 70+kg. That's like me doing it with 145kg. Not trivial.

Please, take the video .

you'd be as cheering to see me as I would you..........no shame dude, just note trade and reality checking .

Reverse abs? Dunno what that is. Dragon flags is when you lie on a bench and hold the bench behind your head. You support your body on your shoulders/neck and raise and lower your legs from horizontal up to vertical while keeping your body and legs straight. 600-1300 per day of those? Right.

correct . if not more ......

Faciciast? Misperonounced? Sarcasism? I get what you're trying to say with the latter two, but what do you mean by faciciast? Are you being a fascist? Are you being farcical? 'Cause neither makes sense.

]I hate that word.no not fascist.faciciest.. ( phonologolically fasishiest) dwai.sarcastic....... sue me on it, but wait up cause the sue que's lil long at the mo....

No thanks, you'd kick my ass in endurance. But I could easily pick you up and throw you. Quite some distance too, I'd imagine. Like those dwarf-tossing contests they play at pubs that are so politically incorrect these days.
    [/QUOTE

you think you'd throw me ha??? lol......

i'd nearly pay for that experience You can have the move , but can you land it is the question.???

I'm tiny, I do speed, dimmak and accuracy ( like yesterday when this crazy , nice smelling mid-east dude promised m e a coffe in the visa office lunch break, but instead drove me miles from the embassy and tried to "sex slave / rape " ) no shyte .crazy mofo!!!) me but escaped nicely regardless......... and your method ???

You do what suits your body, condition, circumstance and style, but if we're talking real, I'm not playing, I'm gonna wanna just the fock outta there. Lil chicks alone in the world need to know some jazz..... dong???