Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The One-Handed Pushup

Whatever. I don't know it's impossible, but I believe it is. An analogy would be standing with your feet together and your upper body at 45°. Same principle - your centre of gravity is outside your base. In the standing case your base is your feet. Your centre of gravity would fall a couple of feet outside your base. With dragon flags, your centre of gravity would be somewhere around your dan tien (or a bit higher maybe). Your base is shoulders/neck. So your centre of gravity is way outside the base for most of the ROM of the exercise (except when your feet are vertical). You need the hands holding the bench to counteract the centre of gravity force. The abs are worked by keeping the legs and torso straight as a board. The exercise you're probably thinking of - leg raises with your butt on the floor - you have everything from your neck/shoulders to butt on the ground, so your centre of gravity is inside your base. Make sense?
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

yah, but if you get ( or have gotten ) into the habit of drawing ribs in and navel to spine, your gravity centre takes a whole new dimension. I don't wanna shoot my mouth off just yet until I've worked it EXACTLY as you ( and irons' pics ) describe it, but give me 24 hrs ( outta shape as I am ) and I will report back with all honesty.

Hang about babes, I'll get back to you ..haller ( ok??)

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    I don't wanna shoot my mouth off just yet ...
    What? Are you feeling alright?

It doesn't matter how much you "draw in" anything. It's a simple 1st class lever. The fulcrum is your shoulders/neck. The load is your legs and torso. You need to apply force with your arms to hold up the load. Unless you can bring your centre of gravity up to your shoulders.

Anyway, try it like in Iron's excellent art, lying off the end of a bench. That way there's no cheating. You won't be able to do it without holding the bench.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Originally posted by Toby
    It doesn't matter how much you "draw in" anything. It's a simple 1st class lever. The fulcrum is your shoulders/neck. The load is your legs and torso. You need to apply force with your arms to hold up the load. Unless you can bring your centre of gravity up to your shoulders.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

later okay..........

LOL Funny pic Iron I've seen many "owned" pics, but not this one.
    Be water my friend.

Iron needs to draw an 'owned' pic.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

I'll work on it after work today
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

use the really big crayons. you get better chiaroscuro that way.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Ok ...here's the scope babe..

kinda busy stressing about getting outta the country last night ( dzo tien) , but thought about it anyway.......

In honesty, I after seeing your drawings Iron , think I'd need the bench afterall........... totally looking forward to getting home and working it. though and I know I"ll have variations. the flags are doing it for me, ( workout / challenge fantasy wise ) and soon as I get a chance, I'll share my own thoughts and variations , so stay tuned............

Ps: have dude on forum looking for support comming outta vietnam war with no working legs , alcoholism and looking for tips to recover skill and strength........ give up some advice ha boys??!!!
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 09-17-2004 at 04:07 AM.

Why would you need to do variations on dragon flags? Aren't plain ones good enough for you?

As to the Vietnam guy, doesn't he know the war ended 30yrs ago? Why is he only now asking for advice?

Hang on a minute - the Vietnam guy you're advising is Ego isn't it? Too funny ...

to do them adding a lateral twist would be a serious oblique burn.

I'm going to try it anyway

isn't ego about 24 anyway?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

he says he's 62, so until proven otherwise, I'm just going to go ahead and tentaively believe him