Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle Gaining

Muscle Gaining

I'm interested in gaining some muscle... as I'm in university, I have free access to all the training facilities I want. I'm going to be doing length swimming a lot, as well as some kung fu every day (i'm far away from my school.... so i'm training alone, stretching, etc.)

But I want to maximize my muscle gain. I don't want to be huge but i want bigger arms and a 6-pack. Can anyone give me some advice as to how best gain muscle without getting too fat/big?

My most important question is how long should i work my arms/abs for, and how often? i read that 5-7 days is neccesary for the muscles to heal and grow, but a lot of people say every other day is fine. Can anyone clean this up for me?

Any tips on getting a 6-pack also useful. Im almost there, i think i just need to lose some fat (2-5 lbs) and gain a bit more muscle.

Lastly, i'm taking some protein supplements... When should I be drinking these whey shakes? Before/during/after?

Workout till muscle failure (can no longer move your lift in a positive motion) and then rest until you feel 100% this could be from 48 hours to more than a week, everyone is different, and there should be no set time to wait.

6-pack, lose fat. It has very little to do with muscle mass. It has to do with how much fat you have smoothing your tone. Remember if you want one kind of 6 pack you can't have the other,

Is your user name like the Metallica song?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

metallica

as a matter of fact, it is!

Another question on losing fat:

I heard that lots more fat is burned before breakfast. Howeveer, a personal trainer i know said it's good to eat a tiny bit of something before you do the pre-breakfast work out, like an apple or something like that.

What's better, going empty or going wit ha little bit of fruit in me?

according to something I just read, if you work out on an empty stomach, it's good if you're very overweight, but not good if you are in good shape because your body will consume muscle before fat in this situation.

Over the last 8 months or so I've gone from 246lbs and 30+% bodyfat to 176lbs and 12% bodyfat. I can guarantee that the "6 pack" is a result of fat loss, as I'm just now getting one. I figure I'll be able to see it very well at 10% body fat (my goal for now), as at 12% it is already visible.

I lost this fat by simply eating less (and better food) and doing more. I worked out in the morning as well. Before I work out I generally have a glass of homemade lemonade made with a low calorie sweetener (I use Splenda) and lemon juice/water. The morning is the best time to lose fat, as you've got very little (or nothing) in your stomach.

As for muscle gain, your workout should consist of high weight/low repetitions to "failure", as described above. In addition to this, your diet is also important. Do some google searches for "body builder diets" or something similar. You'll definitely need a decent protein supplement, though, as you'll want about a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight a day in your diet. You have to eat a lot of calories to put on muscle mass.

Anyway... wish I had time to give more details... maybe someone else here can offer more advice.

Cheers and good luck!
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

^ Good progress.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Im curious, the reps til failure, do you just do one big set til you cant, cause usually people do a few sets of an exercise.
    Be water my friend.

Originally posted by IronMonkey
    Im curious, the reps til failure, do you just do one big set til you cant, cause usually people do a few sets of an exercise.
    Depends on you goal, for strength, go with 3-5 sets of decreasing reps (say first set at 10-12reps and the last set at 4-6 reps). Go heavy enough to make each set end up in muscle failure. This usually builds muscle very quickly at first, for people who haven't really weight trained, but then you get gains in strength over size once your body has become moderately built for the excercises.

For stamina, go with moderate weight and a large number of reps. Vary the sets from 1 large one to say up to 10 sets, again pushing each set to failure. This is the one where you can be creative in how many reps and sets you work. This typically builds the most amount of muscle over time as you end up breaking down more muscle tissue from the greater amount of total reps.

Oh yah, and eat enough quality protein to rebuild your muscles, and enough complex carbs to give you energy. The amount you'll need depends quite a bit on your metabolism, body mass, body type, muscle & fat distribution, etc. You may want to check with a sports nutritionist.

I had done 3 sets of exercises for about 2 years. I've got better results in under a year of doing 1 set, not to mention how it takes way less time. I'm barely in the Gym for 40 minutes and I'm done. When it used to take upwards of 1 and a half hours to do lifts with 1 less exercise.

Re: metallica

Originally posted by - Human
    as a matter of fact, it is!

Another question on losing fat:

I heard that lots more fat is burned before breakfast. Howeveer, a personal trainer i know said it's good to eat a tiny bit of something before you do the pre-breakfast work out, like an apple or something like that.

What's better, going empty or going wit ha little bit of fruit in me?

firstly lol at Iron diggin the metalicca ref......... kinda made me read more as well......

the reason "apple" is advocated pre - workout 1st thing morn workout is beacuse the sugar acts in lieu of caffeine/ waking you up and speeding metabolism. i'd still rather orange juice with vit suplement, coffe + green / cleansing tea ( tannin ( in tea / coffee etc) prohibiting Iron absorbtion >>>> come promtoting constipation ) 1/2 hourish later and protein shake / milk chaser........

I personally do protein as either a viscous restoration ( spleen, pancreas , gall bladder etc etc.organic filter lining ) , but also as a must for muscle recovery post workout recovery .... protein is the mortar abnd your complex carbs the brick for cellualar ( including muscle ) building. if you wanna be strong and grow muscle, it's gotta be done.........

I do protein ideally up to 6-8 times a day in portions of approx 1/4 - 1.25 bw pending work load.... but do this get lean and expect to be feeling heavy...... don't forget your carbs ( fruit / veg mostly ) for min 1.15 : protein consumption so it has something to bond to. I also cleanse regularly with green tea and alot of water.

Protein is what gives you the "full feeling " and for an athlete is essential, but carbs not only break it down, but rebalnce your nervous system. Unless you want to be either hollow muscled or a raving lunatic with runaway nevers, pls treat your self to both regularly in portions adequate for your size and weight.

HT says 1 gm protein / kg bw , I say go harder and make it 2 - 2.5 , but fibre and fluid essential!!!!!! Cut your sugar intake, up your sloppy /fruit veg and minimise that flour !!!!

Enjoy dude.

Ps: so awesome to hear you are still seeing results, for HTs' diet , plan pls pm me at leisure!

Re: Re: metallica

Originally posted by blooming lotus

I do protein ideally up to 6-8 times a day in portions of approx 1/4 - 1.25 bw pending work load....
    You eat a quarter to one a quarter times your bodyweight in protein six to eight time a day!?

And that's just the most obvious thing wrong with your post. I'll let some of the others pick up the other errors so that you don't accuse me of picking on you.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

on a full training regime ...yah..for sure.

but that much food is hard to eat so protein shakes invaluable. Most folks don't train as much as I usually do though, so above portions maybe 4 x should be fine. Just make em lean or liquid.

[B]200lbs

no, what ever I posted, a little logic would tell you I meant 12 1/2 - 15 gms ( though I usually do around 25 - 30 at 45 ish kgs ) 8x for me and 4x for you at the same weight ( hence need for milk/ egg whites and shakes being more soluable) . Hard core keto ( aimed at what?? ) but there're things you do to protect your kidneys and aid absorbtion, break down and flush.

Can you apply logic to your own posts occassionally?? Would be easier - but clear is clear and now we are.

cheers