Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you use triangles in your wing chun system?

How do you use triangles in your wing chun system?

How do you use triangles in your wing chun system? Here is a demo: by Nelson Marcelino. Dealing with triangles, body structure and chum (sinking energy). All together with biomechanics, on the last video downloads, in the video department of my web site.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com

One way that can we demonstrate the power of triangles is by getting someone to put their arms out and form a triangle with the arms and the fingers touching pointing towards a partner. The partner puts a fok sau on the outside of each arm. So basically the guy forming the triangle has his arms in the middle and the other guy has his hands on the outside. Then we try and push eachother back. The guy who is making the triangle has an advantage and can easily push the oponent back.

This is a demonstration of the triangle in the most simplistic way. This is the same way a nail or wedge works. The shape of it focuses to a sharp point which is put in a crack. you then hit it with a hammar and it drives further in the crack dispersing the mass of the object to each side. Much the same way a ship cuts through water.

Ali.
    Very good demonstration!...I like the triangle system because I was taught the same way and I teach it also.It makes things easy to understand and make effective.
    The only difference I spot was that my fist are not held so high.They point to the tip of the triangle (elbow line) or simply are held where the tan sau begins in SLT.The elbows are low as you prescribe and the rest seems to be identical.
    Thanks for sharing!...

Rahim,

Very interesting stuff. Especially due to the huge difference in size between you and your student. We have some slight differences, similar to what Old Jong mentioned. I'm going to play around with it and see for myself.

Thank you for putting the clips together.

P.S. your niece Maya has one mean lap sao.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

So, now we have a solid YGKYM, but that is a training stance. How do you take these principles and transfer them to a more dynamic application? We do not fight from YGKYM. We need to move, bridge the gap, get inside. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Like I said early; you always ask the right question. I will let Nelson answer that for you with new video clips coming up this week. And I thank you very much, Matrix.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com

Thank you very much. I am only returning what I am being given.

First, good clips Ali, I always appreciate video's of WC practitioners performing and explaining there respective technique's. It seems like you are putting together a series of instructional tapes, the best of luck to you if that is the case.

I did have one observation though. It seems to me that you are directly comparing your system of WC to that of the TWC system, to which I used to be a part of (We left Cheung's association back in the mid 90'). What we teach today is similar to that system but not the same as there have been some adaptations to the technique's from my Sifu's experiences. The demo of the parallel foot YGKYM stance weakness is also something I at times elaborate on in the class when we teach. There are two reasons why we would never attack from such a stance, the first one you demonstrated is the off balancing effect that would occur once a strike is thrown, although I do believe that when the stance is performed correctly it is not as unstable as demonstrated. The second reason is when one is punching another standing in the YGKYM directly in front of them the groin becomes an easy target. Attacks, such as the WC chain punch, etc.., must be performed from the forward stance, with the lead Wu Sao in line with the inner part of the knee facing directly down the opponents center. This way the knee will protect the groin and any energy coming back from the punch or strike will not off balance the practitioner. It's nice to be rooted and such but I would prefer to be sunken in my stance so that I am stable but still capable of quick movements in any and all directions.

James

Ok a stupid question how is your website build, I can't get in to watch the videoclip?

I don't have a working IE, and it seems impossible to make it work, I'm currently using Opera and firefox (modzilla) browsers.

http://detroitwingchun.com/video%20frames%20page.htm

edit: btw those are some really cool vids there Ali.
    Last edited by Tydive; 09-13-2004 at 04:06 PM.
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

how to use triangles

hi ali, i really, liked your chi sau , it very direct and practacal and your dummy, looked good as well peace russellsherry
    russellsherry

I can't view your webpage, perhaps its not firefox friendly?
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    I can't view your webpage, perhaps its not firefox friendly?
    Like a MA, a website should be tested in all the known browsers for compatability.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by AmanuJRY
    Like a MA, a website should be tested in all the known browsers for compatability.
    Hehe, but I am biased and will only use firefox!
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

A friend of mine will only use Firefox as well. That's my point though, the website should be tested to operate in Firefox as well as IE, Netscape, Opera, etc. and should be tested on a Mac as well as PC. But that's for the professionals, I guess.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford