Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choy li fut Buddha stick (staff)?

Choy li fut Buddha stick (staff)?

Does any one have any info on this form? Does it exist? Is it beginner intermediate or advaned? Long or short form?

Thanks for any replies.

If it's the form I think it's a Chin Woo form that was modded and incorporated to teach basic double ended staff skills, which is why you don't tend to see it on CLF forms lists.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Thanks Ben

Do you know what the name of the chin woo form would be?

Thanks for your time.

Hey Guys,

The Chin Woo form adopted into our school (Lee Koon Hung), is simply called "Siu Lam Kwun" (Shaolin Staff).

We also have a form in our lineage called "Hung Jeh Kwun" (Monk Staff or we have heard it called Monkey Staff).

Where did you hear about this form? And what did you hear about it?

Ben, do you know this Chin Woo form? And where did you learn it?

Joe

sow choy

I learned the form called buddha staff from a friend of mine, another kung fu instructer. The one I learned is fairly short but has a lot of great material/applicatin in it.

I was just wonderingif it was the real deal. I think it did come from the LKH line.

Thanks

If its from the Lee Koon Hung line then the form is Dai Hung Kay Dan Tow Kwun or the Big Red Flag Single Head Staff.

For some reason or another it got mislabled buddhist staff in the US when sifu came here. It is a relatively short form and on the surface appears somewhat easy, many people do it incorrectly with emphasis in wrong areas, etc. The form is meant to be done with a long and heavy staff, which makes it much more difficult to practice and as with most long single head staff forms the tip or top 1' of the staff is very important.

If you learned it from a friend the set may have been altered slightly since sifu would change things a bit for seminars.

Peace.

Blog Entries
    I think he is talking about a different form from Daai Hung Kei. Sifu Michael also teaches something called the Siu Lum Guan (http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/html/body_programm.html) It is different from the Daai Hung Kei Guan and I believe it is a Chin Woo form. Although I've never actually seen it I think it must be very basic.

Mak Sifu never learned this form so we don't have it in our curriculum. Instead he created his own basic staff form (or maybe LKH created it??)

BTW, CLFNole did you ever learn the CLF Ba Gua Daan Do?

Ciao

Thanks for the info clf

toward the end of this form it has you jumping to the rear turning counter clock wise and landing on the right leg with the left leg up, staff above your head. Then you step out with the left leg making some distance and strike down

have a good day

Fu Pow:

I don't think that Sayloc was talking about the Siu Lum Kwun form that Joe referred to. Dai Hung Kay for some reason was referred to in english as Buddha Staff and I think that is the form he is speaking of.

The basic staff set I think your sifu teaches is bien gwai kwun or flat stick staff. It is on of our older sets.

We don't have a CLF Baat Kwa Do in our lineage.

Sayloc:

It kind of sounds right however your not supposed to hold in the one leg with the staff up. It is supposed to go right into the strike. That is typical when people learn from a seminar. They learn a form in a day and then it evolves since you can't learn a form 100% accurate in a seminar.

Peace.

does the form start out in the southern ceremonial bow, right front pusk kick, jump into right bow, then punch with right hand? you're holding the staff in your left hand the whole time.

about the monkey staff...does it start out in a horse stance, with your palms together like you're praying and the staff rests on top of your elbows

Sow Choy,

i learnd the Siu Lum Kwun as a basic form.

the staff form "Hung Jeh Kwun" is not a CLF Form ,
    it's a Hung Gar Form adopted by CLF.
    in my former school we learned also the 2 man version.

Fu-Pow,

Sifu Michael ( http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/) learnd this form here in Munich.
    Before he concentrated on CLF he started Hung Gar and CLF
    from A. Baklayan ( student of Bucksam Kong ) and learned it
    at http://www.kung-fu-muc.de ( sorry, site in german language)

Firebird:

Hung Jeh Pang is a CLF form and has nothing to do with the Hung Gar form. The Hung Gar form translates to Monkey King Staff whereas the Hung Jeh in the CLF set refers to a Monk's Pilgramage and is buddhist related.

Same name two different meanings and two different forms.

Also the set they were referring to the Sifu Michael has was the Siu Lum Kwun form he learned from the Lee Koon Hung. It is a standard Jing Mo set.

Peace.

clf

That is how I learned it. It is supposed to be like a fighting retreating action the turn and immediatly attack with the left leg forward stance (going through the one leg stance as a transition or possibly moving the leg in defense). The guy I learned it from said he learned it directly from LKH one on one.

Shaolin dude

It does not have a kick in the "bow". You are holding the staff in the left hand 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, them the right hand over the right shoulder then down and back to the rear. Step the right foot to north in cross stance then the left to cat and back for the bow. There are some hand movements missing, but I think lyou get the idea.

Thanks for the info guys.

hello everybody

speaking of day hung kay staff form , i wanna ask if anyone knows some background history about the red flag tied to the staff as is showing in some performances . i know the form is a great form using the staff whitout the flag , but i have this curiosity about why this staff form carry a red flag .

clf

What level do you teach this form?

Thanks