Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Kung Fu places in Austin, TX?

Meat used to be SD, but now does Shuai Chiao.

I've met a couple of the Texas SD women and was impressed by their, um, level of conditioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Yes... I'm sure that's what impressed you...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Judge Pen, as a former SD'er (years and years ago), I really appreciated your advice about sticking with the basics. That's the key to really appreciate the advanced stuff later on down the line!!

Jeff Hughes at Central Texas Kung Fu is an excellent teacher. I believe he also teaches Hung Gar. His mantis sifu has also studied under my old mantis sifu, so I have met him through various tournaments and gatherings, in a 7 * mantis setting. He is very passionate and if you are looking for something more in the traditional vein, please check him out.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Thanks quantum2. Where do you train now? Send me a PM is you want.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Yo. I have a few comments to make: (full disclosure: I'm a current Shaolin-Do student in Austin, although I did previously train in TKD back in college).

1. I'm a big believer in judging a school with your own eyes, so take any stories that you hear with a grain of salt. Of course, if you hear someone saying they were ripped off or otherwise mistreated, that's a different story.

2. I'm not sure exactly what "riff-raff" that Judge Pen was talking about, but I can tell you what you most likely will and will not find:
    You WILL find:
    a. Beginner level forms. Don't expect the stuff you learn in the first 18 months to be super flashy. Like basics of all martial arts, the basics are boring.
    b. Students of varying levels. All schools have "good" and "bad" senior students. Don't expect every black belt to be able to walk on water or kick your butt.
    c. An over-all inviting atmosphere. Of course there are some people in the school that I personally don't enjoy, you'll find that people in general are quite friendly.

You will NOT find:
    a. A "small school" atmosphere....at least at the North Austin SD school. The school is big, I think last I heard was at 350+ students. It's not "Cheers" not everyone will know your name.
    b. Too much hand-holding when it comes to techniques. See (a). If you need help, of course you're always welcome to ask around though.
    c. Very many people who give a rat's ass about wether or not it's TCMA or whatever other acronym you want to apply

3. Whatever art you choose be it us or whomever, my advice first and foremost is always: "basic skills first". Punch and kick, wash rinse repeat. Oh, and I've heard of some ridiculous prices at some TKD places or whatever. Don't overpay.

Anyway, have fun whereever you choose.

Lxtruong, by "riff-raff" I was referring to the controversy around SD, it's history, lineage, etc. I've worked out with some of your students and met Master Schaffer before and I have respect for the school you all have down there.

Thanks lxtruong. I would be at the South Austin school--I live and work on that side of town. From the classes I've been to so far, it definitely has more of a 'small' feel to it (only about 10 people in my class).

Reggie

I am a former SD Guy (2nd degree black) dont get sucked in to thier BS Reggie,, if you want some real stuff from a legitamate teacher and system,,,,go check out Master Li Jun Feng at the austin academy of oriental medicine on Anderson Ln. he also teaches tai chi and qiqong,,and was also Jet Li's instructor for quite some time.

you have other options like Paul Huangs school (chang style tai chi and the elephant style kung fu) there is also Jeff hughes school(if he is still around, and he is a mantis guy,,an honorable person) And there is also the ,"East Wind" school,,they are a Shaolin Tiger school)

PM me if you want to further chat.

Peace,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    That's what bugs me about Shaolin Do too.

But CPA, they were both 2nd degree blacks FWIW.

Reggie good luck on finding a good school down there. From what you've said I wouldn't recommend SD to you, and I'm one of the ones that can endure the battery from most on this board. I will say that in my experience SD is wonderful to get you into shape and it can train you to fight as well as any TMA school, but there's a lot of riff-raff to weed through in the process.
    JP said: "...as well as ANY TMA school"? Uhh, a little all-encompassing if you axe me. If you want to be particular, you can say that your statement means Shaolin Do $ucks, because most MAs, traditional or otherwise (and instructors), are none-too-good=WHAAACK.

From what I've seen of Shaolin Do, it looks a lot like broke "Shotokan't", so maybe you guys should call it "Shaolin DOn't". Anywhat, isn't "Shaolin" and "Do" kinda' weird together? Shouldn't it be "Dao/Tao"? It's like saying "Chinese Kempo". Oh yeah, that's another fake style, huh?

Good luck on your search and don't limit your training to Chinese only. Look for styles and teachers who don't $uck.
    Last edited by 'MegaPoint; 09-21-2004 at 05:46 PM.
    The morrow beckons...

...and once again the tireless cycle of bickering about Shaolin-Do begins...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

............and once again the tireless cycle of rationalizing the BS that is SD begins.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

How tiresome...

I don't really know how anyone can say anything about any school in particular one way or another based on a couple of websites or what someone else says. Just go in and take a look for yourself. Even then you can only really judge on the quality of the students and teachers of that particular school. There are good shaolin-do schools and bad shaolin-do schools, just like there are good TKD schools and bad TKD schools.

I'm not even going to discuss the other comments, partially because I don't care, and partially because I know people are very ready to hate on Shaolin-Do anyway. I just say judge for yourself, and ignore what most everyone else says.

I'm ex-Shaolin-Do. I'm keeping my mouth shut for the sake of this forum...

Many others here are ex-shaolin-doers so they may not be as uneducated to the subject as they seem.

We've affectionatly named Shaolin-Do "Kung Fungus" its growing everywhere.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

also we wouldn't be biased without reason...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest