Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanna Fight? - Real Mentality?

Originally posted by black and blue
    When you go watch a Thai boxing training session you are left in no doubt as to what it will be like to train there: hard work, sweat, pain, injury.

When you go to Kwoon and check out some Wing Chun, what do you see? Well, by and large.... some forms, co-operative drills, no blood, little sweat, no sparring, lots of talking about theory and efficiency.

Tough chaps and lasses go learn Thai Boxing and learn to fight - softies go learn Wing Chun and think they can fight.

Note: There are, of course, some Wing Chun schools that train hard.... its just that the majority of the people who post on this forum, for example, don't train there.

that's exactly my point. people have come to expect such training from thai schools. that same standard should be achievable in a WC school, you would think.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Wilson:

Only read your opening post and one or two that followed yours on this thread so far...so my apologies in advance if what I'm about to say has already been mentioned...

something I've said and advocated a number of times on this forum - but very few people have ever agreed with me that it's something worth persuing.

You mentioned the toughness of Muay Thai and BJJ training and mentality.

But what else do they have in common that's missing from the Wing Chun world?

ORGANIZED COMPETITIONS.

And they have them frequently...

So if you want to win a tournament or a championship....you have no choice but to train hard and tough!
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 09-22-2004 at 01:57 PM.

Not to step on anyone's toes, but, who says that people in Wing Chun are not training as hard as the Thai's. Just because we don't hit banana trees doesn't mean that we aren't training hard, just that we are training smart. Of course if one wants to put themselves through allot of pain then yeah they will come out tough and strong and all that but not all can or will do this. Thai's look at Muay Thai, as allot of minorities look at organized sports leagues. It’s their way out of poverty and they will do whatever it takes to get out of that situation. This is allot different from someone here in the rich countries that is participating in Martial Arts for self defense or conditioning. Didn't Boztepe train for 8 to 10 hours a day for a long period of time? I trained for long periods of time also for many years as did my Sifu, who trained all day for many years, why did we do this? Well I can't speak for others but I did it because I enjoyed it and I wanted to gain skill in Wing Chun, not really to go out a use it for fighting or competition. Hey, it's okay if some want to do that, to test their skills, but from my understanding of WC this was not the purpose behind it and even if it was, the whole idea behind the art is to fight without using strength and speed as the primary attributes, to which Muay Thai is.

James

Black & Blue
    "Sure (again) if people want to train soft, err, good for them. But lets not call it a martial art. Lets call a social event. You meet your friends, have a light workout, talk , talk some more, do a little Chi Sau, go for a beer afterwards (Okay, I concede the latter is potential training for a real encounter - might even provide a real encounter)."

I look at it the other way. People want to physically exert themselves and not discuss and demonstrate the theory thats fine but dont call it a martial art - call it Taibo. Nah I dont really think that way but for me I keep fit outside training. Thats something that I dont need a teacher for. I want W.C instruction to develop W.C skill and power.

I did a version of karate that focussed on testing physical limits but not very well thought out as a martial art. Sure these guys were tough and well conditioned, what do you think happens when these people get old. I discovered in a few short years that most of the skills I had from Karate disappeared with the conditioning. I say you want to be fit - go join a gym - that will do the best job. You want to learn a fighting system - go learn that. You want get in the ring - train for that. You want street survival - get a weapon or carry some pepper spray and avoid rough areas, for your family getting a dog is probably one of the best things you can do.

Originally posted by sihing
    Not to step on anyone's toes, but, who says that people in Wing Chun are not training as hard as the Thai's. Just because we don't hit banana trees doesn't mean that we aren't training hard, just that we are training smart. Of course if one wants to put themselves through allot of pain then yeah they will come out tough and strong and all that but not all can or will do this. Thai's look at Muay Thai, as allot of minorities look at organized sports leagues. It’s their way out of poverty and they will do whatever it takes to get out of that situation. This is allot different from someone here in the rich countries that is participating in Martial Arts for self defense or conditioning.

Exactly. Like I said, cma trains for a possibility, whereas we train for an inevitability. Also, as UWC said - organized competitions. The bar would raise across all cma if there were frequent competitions and people who were training for them. As far as training smart, do you really think that thai training is less "smart" than WC training? If so, please explain.

Didn't Boztepe train for 8 to 10 hours a day for a long period of time? I trained for long periods of time also for many years as did my Sifu, who trained all day for many years, why did we do this? Well I can't speak for others but I did it because I enjoyed it and I wanted to gain skill in Wing Chun, not really to go out a use it for fighting or competition.

And there's the problem. That's too individual. people know to expect intense training when they step in a sport fighting school. People stepping into a kwoon don't really have the same expectation. People may train hard individually, but that's not doing any good for the art as a whole.

Hey, it's okay if some want to do that, to test their skills, but from my understanding of WC this was not the purpose behind it and even if it was, the whole idea behind the art is to fight without using strength and speed as the primary attributes, to which Muay Thai is.

muay thai was the freaking military combat art, along with krabbi krabbong...it became a sport later - similar to the jujutsu/judo transition. The original intent wasn't to test your skills at all. Does that mean it can't be used for that? LKFMDC is a lama pai sifu, and they are tearing up the san da world...

As far as fighting without strength, combat sports have similar principles. bjj is all about timing, leverage, space and control - things alot of you guys should be familiar with. boxing and muay thai are the same. strength helps, but isn't the sole factor. a well placed hook doesn't have to be hard to knock you on your butt. strength and speed are attributes developed as a direct result of the training, similar to how sensitivity is a by product of yours.
    [/B]
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Miles Teg

I look at it the other way. People want to physically exert themselves and not discuss and demonstrate the theory thats fine but dont call it a martial art - call it Taibo. Nah I dont really think that way but for me I keep fit outside training. Thats something that I dont need a teacher for. I want W.C instruction to develop W.C skill and power.

As I said in the post above, those attributes come as a result of the training. you will gain skill alongside it, as you are training your techniques as part of the conditioning that you don't need a teacher for.

I did a version of karate that focussed on testing physical limits but not very well thought out as a martial art. Sure these guys were tough and well conditioned, what do you think happens when these people get old.

depends on several factors, such as how they trained and how long they competed. one of my judo coaches is 75. I know a guy who had a full contact match to celebrate his 50th birthday. One of my bjj coaches is 39 and still places at every major bjj competition he goes to...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

" LKFMDC is a lama pai sifu, and they are tearing up the san da world... "

Any more information on this or articles. I haven't heard this. Ray
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

check him out on the main forum, or go to his website - he's a student of chan tai san, and fields san da guys out of his gym. I'll dig up his website's url.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Some of WSl's students and their students compete in San Shou
    tournaments

This guy for instance

chi hok yin

My teacher also use to enter his students into WC/inter style competitions but they got disqualified for being 'too direct'.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Miles,

Yes, I agree with you in part. Physical conditioning (fitness) doesn't need to be trained in the kwoon - can go tread tarmac on free time.

I am talking about hard 'martial' training in the gym - it may, probably does, improve fitness too... that's an additional benefit.

I'm talking about working with focus mitts, hitting the heavy bag, striking a partner who is padded up (for these I'm talking about hitting until burn out, putting your body under pressure - we can all punch well for 10 minutes, how do we measure up when physically exhausted or under real pressure).

I'm talking about progressive training. Resistance, sparring (including heavy, full contact sparring). In short, all the things that will help forge you into someone who can use your art against someone not playing the game (following a set drill or following the rules of Chi Sau for example - and by rules I mean the artificial set up of Poon Sau, CS's cooperative nature etc).

In my XingYi we have cooperative drills too. They are vital. You can't learn a new motion, technique, principle etc without it... but then you have to break out of the confines the drill is restricted by, and start putting it to a more realistic use.

Anyways, in my opinion that is why Wing Chun is like it is today, and Thai boxing (or BJJ or MMA etc etc) is like it is today. One will teach you how to fight and the otherone, quite frankly will teach you some nice theory about how you should fight.

For those who train soft (never spar, never go full contact, never incorporate resistance training etc), and say they have used their WCK in a real and violent situation.... and it worked.... you were either extremely lucky or are talking out of your bottom.

*There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Lets still not forget that Thai Boxers have different circumstances and different motivations.

Seven star
    I put Judo and BJJ in a different category. It is technical by nature. Some of the guys that teach me Judo here in Japan smoke and a lot of them are also quite old. Sure they are not as good as they probably could be if they didnt smoke but they still dominate the younger guys easily. This is the sort of skill I am interested in.

B & B
    Pressure testing can be done outside of the kwoon with people from different martial arts. Personally Im all for it. I want to get into some kick boxing and BJJ. But thats me. I love martial arts and I dont want to miss out on anything. At the place I was training beofre I left to Japan it was just straight Chi sao and a little forearm conditioning and structure testing. No physical exertion, sparring etc. The skills that can be developed this way are pretty amazing to me. I wouldnt want to waste any time in these classes doing anything other than what brought my teacher to where he is in terms of W.C skill. However, there is no one saying we cant go and experiment with other people. I came from a W.C school that was way more physically demanding than the current but they also lacked fundamental skills that they just werent developing.

The main problem with wing chun(in general) compared to thai boxing ,MMA wrestling etc is the lack of ALIVENESS in training.
    Wing chun tends to be practised in cooperative drills cooperative chi sao etc
    I do think cooperative training has its place but you need to train against resistance!!!