Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can CLF masters really fight?

Can CLF masters really fight?

Hi there!!!

I may not be political correct but I would like to know if these people( masters ) Wong Doc Fai, Chen Yongfa and others mentioned here -can really fight? Can anybody give some examples of their masters fighting records(street, challanges with other MA practitioners , tournaments - please don't give me light contact matches )?

There's been here written a lot of CLF methodologies, techniques, animals etc. ( some interesting stuff at least theoretically )but how can we know if they are serious people ( morally and skilled in fighting at hight level )?They teach martial arts not ballet ,don't they?

If you train at boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, judo, sambo, wrestling you know at least you coach's tournament record or you can sparr with the trainer - in case of many TMA the only thing you got is ... well trust that they know what they do ? Like Kyokushin great Mass Oyama once said
    "... There can be no proof without real fighting. Without proof there is no trust. Without trust there is no respect. This is the definition in the world of Martial Arts"

Because I've seen here lots of arguments between CLF practitioners I decided to start this post - tell who your master/instructor is , what's his/her fighting experiance -write something that proves that your sifu is a real deal.

Grigoriy
    "Si vis pacem , para bellum" - Wanna peace, get ready for a war. - My message

"Right or wrong, my country!" - My weakness

"Wein, Weib und Gesang" - My passion

"Dobroye bratstvo — luchsheye bogatstvo " - Good brothership is the better wealth - My experiance

" A mas dolor, mas honor " - The more danger , the more honor - My vision

? um...

****ing contests are still ****ing contests, even when they use real ****.
    That's my feeling about the matter. I'm speaking as a generalist, and do not choose to offer further documentation.

As far as capability, if a master can't defend himself (and that doesn't necessarily mean winning All the time, or having it publically known all the time), then he/she is no master. This includes using the highest techniques in MA as they apply to the art, in this case, CLF. Unless, they are lying about their training, or have fallen ill in some way, a CLF master should be able to fight. It's a fighting art. The students fight with different degrees of contact as part of the training and the competitions.
    Go to Google. Surf on the high seas, and read, and see little bits of video.

take care to stay on your raft while you're surfing,
    Cody
    "The truth is more important than the facts." (Frank Lloyd Wright)
    "The weight of the sun doesn't keep it from rising." (Cody)

Troll rating... 1.1
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Blog Entries
    There's really only one way to answer your question and that is to formally challenge one of the CLF masters you mentioned to a fight.

If you're not willing to do that then you are a hypocrit because you expect someone else to qualify themselves by fighting but you are unwilling to do the same.

I guess it depends on what their high score is...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Can CLF masters really fight?

Hi !!!

Dear Fu Pow - I was asking people who post here and accuse and discredit other masters of not having fighting skills at all. I was not disrespecting or discrediting them.

For example -in similar situation when I ask my judo friend if this judo trainer good -he answers that the trainer fought here and there ,won medals -so you know a little about qualification of that guy.

If I ask if this master can fight -you say -fight him to check it - well that's a nice answer but would it prove master's skills if he fights me and I'm nothing special ?I don't think so.
    That's why I am asking people here for some hard data or histories proving their masters' skills.

Fu Pow you called me hypocrit - well I don't teach martial arts -they do ,why should I prove that I can fight?

So keep asking is your master fight proven ? Where did he get his practical fighting knowledge? Do I ask for much?

Grigoriy
    "Si vis pacem , para bellum" - Wanna peace, get ready for a war. - My message

"Right or wrong, my country!" - My weakness

"Wein, Weib und Gesang" - My passion

"Dobroye bratstvo — luchsheye bogatstvo " - Good brothership is the better wealth - My experiance

" A mas dolor, mas honor " - The more danger , the more honor - My vision

Blog Entries

Re: Can CLF masters really fight?

Originally posted by Zaveesha
    Hi !!!

Dear Fu Pow - I was asking people who post here and accuse and discredit other masters of not having fighting skills at all. I was not disrespecting or discrediting them.

Actually that's not what you said at all:

may not be political correct but I would like to know if these people( masters ) Wong Doc Fai, Chen Yongfa and others mentioned here -can really fight? Can anybody give some examples of their masters fighting records(street, challanges with other MA practitioners , tournaments - please don't give me light contact matches )?
    You're pretty darn explicit there. You are questioning the validity of the masters fighting skill. Don't try to blow smoke.

If I ask if this master can fight -you say -fight him to check it - well that's a nice answer but would it prove master's skills if he fights me and I'm nothing special ?I don't think so.
    That's why I am asking people here for some hard data or histories proving their masters' skills.
    If you think you are "nothing special" then I suggest you start training and learning and stop questioning other peoples abilities.

Fu Pow you called me hypocrit - well I don't teach martial arts -they do ,why should I prove that I can fight?
    You are putting the onus of proof of fighting ability from yourself to the so called "masters." These masters have nothing to prove. By calling themselves kung fu master they imply they have fighting skill. The onus is on you to prove that they are not. There is one simple way to prove that they are not....ask them to "gong sau" or test hands.

So keep asking is your master fight proven ? Where did he get his practical fighting knowledge? Do I ask for much?

Grigoriy
    Some masters have never been in a street fight. Does that not make them master?

Answer: There is no answer. You refer to a standard that doesn't really exist. And you basically miss the whole point of kung fu training.

Key: It isn't only to fight.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Ok, (I still can't believe I actually read this thread) I'll give you an example-Doc Fai-Wong opened up his CLF school when he was still in his teens, and is credited with being one of the youngest Sifus to ever have opened in SanFrancisco. Back then, if you put up your banner, people checked you out. 30 somewhat years later, he's still here. Nuff said.

Being connected to the community any school can be opened for years.

The question show go at one's peak can they fight? Now these 2 guys may an excuse, they are too old to fight.

Find one of their top young boys and have a few rounds.

One of Doc Fai's teachers was this.

If he couldnt kill you with his hands he would use his daggers, if not he also was a registered marksman and carried a 45.

At his end days Doc Dai's teacher was talking to some of the ghost.

People who know this would recognise this.

As for the muay thai and kick boxing stuff its just as good a martial arts for what the practioner puts in.

Mas Oyama did put his time in training and there is only 1 Korean who did that.

If you want to try good CLF fighters, look into a Tam Sam linage.

Oh, in the new territories when Ho Ngau walked in the room, Chan Yong Fa had to move on the side.

Good CLF fighters are also in Hong Kong with the double 7.

Few things,

actually, proving your self in the ring doesn’t mean you are a good MARTIAL ARTIST. At best, it means you are a good athlete, which (in my opinion) is also very important in today’s society, but probably less important to the real martial arts world.

Most of tournament fighting (full contact) these days are going towards the San Shou rules, which do favour the athlete more than the martial artist. Don’t get me wrong, I am an avid san shou supporter, but I do realise that its not the end all be all.

Many of those guys you mentioned, are old, and just the fact that they are still able to execute some movements correct and with the right power etc, tells me that they did put in their time and efforts when they were younger. Never met either of them, but I don’t doubt that they once were able to fight (if they aren’t now), but then again, I don’t really care to much. They obviously have some thing good to teach, and they know more than most of us do.

You are wrong when you say that Boxing, Muay Thai and some other fighting coaches prove themselves in the ring before they start to become trainers. Where I come from, one of the best boxing coaches never fought competitively. For some reason, he is able to teach his fighters how to fight without having been a champion himself.

Do yourself a favour and look into CLF. You will be surprised and amazed to see how well structured this style is. With enough dedication to this art, anyone can become a very skilled and highly proficient fighter and even better, a skilled martial artist.

But is kung fu all about fighting?

Finally, after years of fighting competitively, probably some incorrect training methods, and a few other factors, my own body is a wreck. I broke a few ribs in my time, and I still feel it when it gets cold. I am having arthritis and joint pains in my knees, my elbows and my knuckles. I suffer from constant migraines and head aches, and even had few black outs. My latest thing is that I am having bad kidney pains and lower back pain at the same time. Most of these symptoms are caused from trying to prove that a martial artist should be a fighter first, and a stylist later. I’m only 30, but I sometimes feel like I’m 60. When I look at pictures of Masters Chan Yong Fa and Wong Doc Fei , I realise that they are true martial artists who knew that to keep their bodies healthy is the most important thing. Even more important sometimes than to prove you are the best fighter.

On Saturday it was the anniversary of some Japanese invasion into China. I was listening to a speech which my northern Shaolin teacher made- He said that by remembering this day, we shouldn’t do so to hate the Japanese or to remember the people who died, but to remind ourselves that we should always be strong enough to stand up for ourselves so that no one ever just walk over us. Don’t be weak. This include, keeping your body healthy. The more I look at it, the more I realise that it is not about fighting.

Go to Thailand and see. Many of those little fighters only fight until they reach their mid 20’s. There after, many of them suffer from some sort of damage, and very few of them can still fight when they reach 35.

I think both Chan Yong Fa and Wong Doc Fei have schools in Poland. Just call them up, attend some of their classes and seminars, and maybe check for yourself.

ed

I find it curious that only in the martial arts world a teacher or coach is expected to be a champion. Look at sports (boxing, football, basketball, baseball), the Olympics, and even colleges and universities.

Most people will take lessons from an art teacher if his art looks good and he teaches well. I doubt if anyone ever asks how many awards they won or how many paintings they sold.
    Last edited by Ou Ji; 09-22-2004 at 08:44 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I think you're missing the big picture here. The real question is can Batman take Spiderman? I think ya'll know what I'm getin at.

once ronin

once ronin,

hey what's up? can you define what you meant that doc fai's teacher was talking to ghosts?

did you mean he was just old and ready to pass away, or were you insinuating that he was somehow senile?

speaking of doc fai, he has never been in a real street fight in his life as far as i know, because i am closer to him than he even knows. i can validate his claims because i am in close contact with his seniors.

but my question is, is do you know if he's been challenged to fight or not, and if so what happened?

now, i have a question. what is a choy lee fut fighter? the obvious is not the answer i am looking for.

but in my opinion, you have paper sifu's- people who have never had a real street confrontation ever, and then you have certain with verifiable fighting histories. those are the kind of sifu's who don't talk too much about fighting and just get down to business.

i have a friend who is a 3rd degree black belt in tae kwon do, and coward down in a real street confrontation. that person realized he didn't truly know how to use his style in a combat situation. that person had never had a street fight in his life but is an incredible studio teacher. once again, a paper sifu.

my sifu's background is very well known, and is part of the reason i chose to take him as a teacher. he knew how to fight and use choy lee fut effective in real life situations, and has always passed down that knowledge.

my sifu is about to turn 60 soon, but still moves as if he is in his mid 30's, has not taught the newer generations as i and my classmates and seniors had trained under him when he was in his 30's. our training was a lot tougher and more rigorous.
    i trained like this with my sifu everyday. he was more hardcore, and in that fighter mode when i learned from him. but now that he is older you can still see the fighter within him.

ok thanks

sifuX-HSK
    Fight to win!!!