Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Baji

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

there are actually many throw methods or shuai fa in Baji.
    Baji shuai jiao seminar i Finland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JtlQvoDhN0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uda6O...eature=related
    Last edited by rett; 12-03-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Rett--nice and thanks for sharing.

Here also is another piece of training we learned many years ago along with single posture shield work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kScsm...ture=endscreen
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Quote Originally Posted by RAF View Post
    Actually it was not 8 Step Praying Mantis which knocked Liu over 3 times when he was in his twenties [sorry Omar]--it actually was the "softest" of all of the praying mantis systems--6 Harmony Praying mantis.
    Yeah. Like I said in that post you are referencing.."Best to ask RAF about this..."

Guys name was Ding at least eh?

Thank you Omar for your kind reference.

Yep! Omar, I am always amused at that story--Ding ZiCheng--in his 40s knocking over a 20 something Liu with 10 years of baji training. LOL

I always wondered why the Wu Tan clan didn't become more fascinated with Ding ZiCheng and his 6 Harmony mantis and Wu style taiji and this "soft" approach instead of the obsessional quest of power via the baji system--I think it might have been the idea of killing someone with one shot--very efficient. LOL

Everyone seems to have become overly attached, in my opinion, to Li Shu Wen, who I think could possibly have had some pretty heavy sociopathic tendencies. LOL You have to wonder what the big draw is to baji on a deep psychological level--but that is for another time and place--I really do like the baji training beyond the xiao baji posture holding. LOL
    Last edited by RAF; 12-03-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: more material
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Baji stresses kao da and kao shuai.

People like to ask how do you know there is baji in your taichi, bagua, or mantis.

They always look for moves similarities.

I usually answer them that look at function level of moves.

If you stress or focus more on kao da and kao shuai in your yang taichi, mantis or bagua--

and vice versa.

We may use forearm, shoulder, chest, back, hip, knee, etc in addition to elbow to do kao da and kao shuai.

----

Quote Originally Posted by RAF View Post
    Thank you Omar for your kind reference.

Yep! Omar, I am always amused at that story--Ding ZiCheng--in his 40s knocking over a 20 something Liu with 10 years of baji training. LOL

I always wondered why the Wu Tan clan didn't become more fascinated with Ding ZiCheng and his 6 Harmony mantis and Wu style taiji and this "soft" approach instead of the obsessional quest of power via the baji system--I think it might have been the idea of killing someone with one shot--very efficient. LOL

Everyone seems to have become overly attached, in my opinion, to Li Shu Wen, who I think could possibly have had some pretty heavy sociopathic tendencies. LOL You have to wonder what the big draw is to baji on a deep psychological level--but that is for another time and place--I really do like the baji training beyond the xiao baji posture holding. LOL
    If I remember correctly;

Zhang Xiang San was the first disciple of Ding.

He carried the school name and taught publicly 6 harmony mantis in Taiwan.

GM Liu never taught 6 harmony publicly.

only on a rare occasion that he showed his 6 harmony mantis.

It was out of respect of the school name and for the first disciple etc.

Correct me if I am wrong.

http://awesome-fights.blogspot.com/2...x-harmony.html

Last edited by SPJ; 12-03-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    Zhang Xiang San was the first disciple of Ding.

He carried the school name and taught publicly 6 harmony mantis in Taiwan.
    Zhang didn't teach 6 harmony mantis to the public. Onetime he was in hostipal and almost died there. One night his teacher came to his dream and blamed on him not teaching 6 harmony mantis to the public. After Zhang recovered, he grabbed Adam Hsu and beg Adam to learn form him. Adam said, "Sorry, I don't have time." Later on Adam did learn LHPM from him but I believe Adam was his 1st LHPM student. Zhang was quite old already.

thanks for sharing Dcr, kweel video
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Baji Applications Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmENW...layer_embedded

From my Baji "cousins" in Finland.

Different line from me but all very recognizable stuff. . .if you train Baji. One of the best demos I have ever seen in terms of giving folks a feeling for how Baji works in sparring. Mind you, this is not a sparring clip. It's still a demo. I just mean that it presents a ton of Baji techniques in a natural, free flowing, improvised fashion. None of it is choreographed. It's just kind of low-key and friendly.

Thumbs up.

p.s.
    I also like that it's not from some famous master. It's just his students. The teacher is Lu Baochun but he doesn't appear in the video.

yeh - it gives a good sense of the way the system wud try to flow btw ranges and handle a "free" context; wud like to c them do sum acutal free sparring as well, as what he is doing does look like it wud translate into that pretty nicely - the way he angles, cuts the line, takes the center of his opponent, moves from one tech to another, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    yeh - it gives a good sense of the way the system wud try to flow btw ranges and handle a "free" context; wud like to c them do sum acutal free sparring as well, as what he is doing does look like it wud translate into that pretty nicely - the way he angles, cuts the line, takes the center of his opponent, moves from one tech to another, etc.
    Also, bring in other styles to try. Friends preferably.

It changes the dynamic when you go against someone who has trained thoroughly in "x" and go to free spar. Eye opener x5.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    I like the 1st dude, Thumbs UP!

He's relaxed and genuinely seems to have been working on his entries for at least boxers in an organized fashion.

I like that in his demo he sets up off the jab. Also that it's not a demo where he's just standing there motionless waiting for someone to come to him.

I'm sure he could handle guys bigger than him. But I also wanted to say that he seemed taller and to outweigh his demo partners. Mabe it was just the camera angle? It's easier to roll over bridges the way he does when you can rain down on your opponent from a taller position.

History is full of dudes who were bigger than average and could fight well. A deadly combination. I would be curious to see if his sifu is smaller or bigger than him and if his sifu is in fact smaller, how he adjusts his Baji to his bigger opponent. If at all?

Pretty good vid, IMO.
    "O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

I like! It has a more realistic look even with a willing partner. And he looks to be pulling stuff from the forms. I've seen too many demos where the applications don't resemble what's shown in the forms.

CMA seems to be suffering from a disconnect between form and function. The apps demos barely resemble the moves as performed in the forms and they disappear almost completely when free fighting.

I agree some free sparring would be really entertaining from these guys.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Took awhile for me to remember my password and username for this forum . Haven't been here for ages.

Thank you for the kind words, (i'm the first guy).

wud like to c them do sum acutal free sparring as well
    I will try to get some footage of this also. We do alot of different kinds of sparring. But usually nobody to film and usually camera shyness comes in also, at least for me .

Also, bring in other styles to try. Friends preferably.

It changes the dynamic when you go against someone who has trained thoroughly in "x" and go to free spar. Eye opener x5.
    I do this on a regual basis, last time today . I started a "fight club" with different styles that get together a few times a month. Let's see if we take some footage of that some time.

But I also wanted to say that he seemed taller and to outweigh his demo partners. Mabe it was just the camera angle? It's easier to roll over bridges the way he does when you can rain down on your opponent from a taller position.
    Yeah i'm taller than average, 185cm. Weight is mostly from beer right now , ring weight is under 85 kg. I usually do these demos with one training brother that is taller than me, i know it looks better . Here we are doing some light slapboxing with no finishes with the usual demo partner: http://youtu.be/25IVQDJB_Eg and here we do some improvised technique demo in Tianjin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-rayTBDByA . But yeah i'm used to being the taller guy raining down on my opponents. I'm trying to work on it because last time today i had a hard time in sparring against one Ashiara Karate friend that is like around 2 meters tall and can really use his reach.

I would be curious to see if his sifu is smaller or bigger than him and if his sifu is in fact smaller, how he adjusts his Baji to his bigger opponent. If at all?
    Sifu Lu is shorter than me, but he is big in China. So of course he is also used to be the bigger guy in fighting, but he has experience the other way around too and can teach that side. Here you can see the difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tA6qQ1a2Fc (he is making a point about not getting out of breath in fighting ). Some techniques in our Baji have versions for smaller and bigger opponents. Our teacher went out to train and research many Baji branches to learn different ways of doing it.

Blog Entries
    Ok sitten, hyvää tietoa. Viking ovat pelottavia jo ... ja sitten lisäät kamppailulajeja!

Hattuni on pois sinulle sir, hyvin kovaa työtä. Voikaa hyvin!
    =======================
    Ok then, good information. Vikings are scary already...and then you add more martial arts!!

My hat's off to you sir, great hard work. Be well!

haha, google translator!
    "O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"