Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Baji

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    He dresses really well!

And is a nice guy and really knows his stuff.
    Your penache for understatement is understated.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

He dresses really well!

And is a nice guy and really knows his stuff.

Thank you.

I really have got to take my English to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Your penache for understatement is understated.
    Scott would just say I was spectacubating again...

Scott would just say I was spectacubating again...
    Scott has the boorish manners of a Yale man !

He dresses really well!
    lol!

What, no muscle lesson?
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

1st video in thread = crap.

no one punches like that. ever. except for kungfu students making videos with slo-mo applications.

arms don't hang in the air on a thrown punch, ever.

nobody leaves their limb out to be taken and trapping is fantasy for the most part when you are not clinched already.

If you can do it, you got lucky.

If you can do it at least fairly consistently in response to a striking attack that is not choreographed and isn't using a compliant and 20lbs lighter than you opponent, well I would very much like to see that!

the form stuff is fine. it's just forms. doesn't really show any applications though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    lol!

What, no muscle lesson?
    LOL! careful, you might get one...

Baji Quan?

Is Baji considered a Shaolin style or belonging to the Internal group- Taiji, Bagua, XingYi, etc. and why?

That source is why I am asking.
    Here is the sentence:
    "The term baji comes from the Daoist classic, the Yijing (I-Ching), and signifies an "extension of all directions". In this case, it means "including everything" or "the universe.""
    But Baji seems to be grouped with Shaolin more often... only a few sources show an "Internal" grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by kfson View Post
    That source is why I am asking.
    Here is the sentence:
    "The term baji comes from the Daoist classic, the Yijing (I-Ching), and signifies an "extension of all directions". In this case, it means "including everything" or "the universe.""
    But Baji seems to be grouped with Shaolin more often... only a few sources show an "Internal" grouping.
    The I Ching isn't Taoist in particular.

The idea of "internal" was made up by a guy in the late 1800's early 1900's and has since spiraled into a pile of crap nonsense so huge it gets addressed daily. Meanwhile, no one can accurately tell you what internal or external means because they don't know, will make up some reasons that seems logical or merely reiterate what they were told.

how can your innards function independently of you outers? They can't. You are a unit. A Martial system is a method. The whole body is employed in any martial method to achieve efficacy in martial ability.

nowadays, internal is for health and external is for fighting. which of course is a crock of crap, if the art can't be used for fighting, then it's not a martial art is it.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 05-04-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Does it have source in "Chinese native or Shaman religion"? I don't recall it being associated with Buddhism or Zen before it was associated with Daoism.

Quote Originally Posted by kfson View Post
    Does it have source in "Chinese native or Shaman religion"? I don't recall it being associated with Buddhism or Zen before it was associated with Daoism.
    It is a stand alone text that is quite ancient and isn't connected to a religious movement such as taoism or buddhism or mohism or any indigenous religion of China. It is more based in soothsaying, seeing and prophecy sort of stuff.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The idea of "internal" was made up by a guy in the late 1800's early 1900's and has since spiraled into a pile of crap nonsense so huge it gets addressed daily. Meanwhile, no one can accurately tell you what internal or external means because they don't know, will make up some reasons that seems logical or merely reiterate what they were told.

how can your innards function independently of you outers? They can't. You are a unit. A Martial system is a method. The whole body is employed in any martial method to achieve efficacy in martial ability.

nowadays, internal is for health and external is for fighting. which of course is a crock of crap, if the art can't be used for fighting, then it's not a martial art is it.
    Quite correct, there are many definitions of internal and external and most of them pointless from a MA perspective.
    Adam Hsu wrote an excellent article on that.

Not sure why the rant, but ok. I guess I should have separated them by Shaolin/Wudang or Shaolin/Taiji, Bagua, Xing Yi, or whatever. Thank you.