Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Baji

must... save... thread!

It was over halfway to the bottom allready! Hopefully it'll still be around when I get home from class!

Brad:

The form on the film is baji Lei Huan. You can see the complete form on Master Su's 2 tape series. Master Su actually teaches the entire form and applications. They play GM Liu in segments, then Master Su teaches the segment. Also applications are very interesting and there is a lot of basic training. Only trouble is that it is in Japanese.

Master Su's pigua tape is also very good. It has footage from him when he was very young and his pigua is very clean and fast.

cool, I'm still working on Xiao Baji myself. Trying to hold the postures I've been thinking about getting his Pigua tape... his videos are excellent

Here is the standard formula suggested for training in xiao baji.

Holding postures for 8 breaths, to the 8 structural parts of the body is the ultimate goal. I don't know anyone who has trained it consistently except for one guy, Jimmy Finley and you probably saw him play at the Master's demonstration.

We usually start with 3 breaths, then 4 breaths and try 8 on some of the postures.

Here is the standard menu: 3 sets, 3 times a day, 3 years with da qiang exercises in between sets. The last set (of each 3 set) is played with fajing expression and nothing is held. Again, this is the ideal. We modify it to meet our needs so results are slow and I wouldn't expect much in the first year. The sinking jing is what you may first notice and you probably will notice it in your other forms, especially taiji (in my case, Chen's).

Since I started late, when alternating baji and bagua days, I play xiao baji (although I now do Liu Da Kai on occassion when I want to work more with the qiang or the sword). Your teacher taught us his form of Ba Da Zou and its nice, especially his applications.

There also is a tape from a baji player in Xian which tracks your verison of xiao baji (good tape)---its in vcd (Chinese) and Ted Mancuso gave me a copy of it. I did not get much from the VCDs of Wu Liang Zhu (my wife bought me the entire set when she went home to Beijing and they sell for about $1.00 a piece in China) Check Ted Mancuso's website and good luck. You also have Master An's baji book.

No magic but once you get hooked you'll love it!

PS. I have seen a lot of Master Su when he was young. His bagua is also outstanding and so was his mantis.

Smile

Thanks Brad. That was exellant. Nice to see real Gong Fu for a change.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Young Su Yuzhang

RAF,
    I have seen 2 films of Su Yuzhang doing PM when young. Both times doing Luanjie.
    Once on a stage and once in a small kung fu school(1964).
    What other footage of him have you seen doing PM?

This question doesn't include Baji and Pigua which I have seen him doing a bit of on tape when young.

this the what comes up when I pressed that link

0&ufle4ֳZkJZ
    7<˴7Tm_A
    R x^p&)rRY?A6]k5ؿjd7;
     (\/ 2 i[b0h
    `ޗCэ.A.
    )Af)Aj-Y|"ED ~
    ~NB TXTt$JA
    ISEhl!S6R̀kT@_% Si; ~T*R;i҂&Omj_+2_C 
    V:6߰C Օ汚]Bх̓DUBU=$g,&{mc]kt-(j"ǔ,hz9e\r{un/PKY< m2{CIJ
    ANi[4ZFZ()00T(Xy,*$!–zi
    9j;]H~%x^
    5M47
    ^t>NHO$RF>/ӤZ
    ֢# _z ;Vq*%r8m铴ƤBRV͇
    y Ӗ/x2dްz,sI2sz6(@޸A^ !oڜB"5\l
    Z,&oCt F&A.[hl`"d>/ӤZ
    ֢# _z ;Vq*%r8m铴ƤBRV͇
    y Ӗ/x2dްz,sA.
    )Af)Aj-Y|"ED ~
    ~NB TXTt$JA
    V:6߰C Օ汚]Bх̓DUB:niiS2Բj&D6Tb͐-I2sz6(@޸A^!oڜB"5 \%EWd'1c%]*LHr5iAx'F)\/ 2 i[b0h
    `ޗCэ.A.
    )Af)Aj-Y|"ED ~
    ~NB TXTt$JA
    V:6߰C Օ汚]Bх̓DUB*?2(0_+MԴJk|*~Q Q6[¦4Qp)ZTY[ߖqCx8&iq-p\>ݖ|Ľs̰z6߇8U0z/hŽQxr`ٹQnU?]BE@P%,/jHX:Li,N]-?/T?Z̷G`?o/za;MwWU+֛I4;1`\ܨxB<Jb mU*U&:(0IJy֓+ JLbu
    Zec18laRH{1 )(wUlKjuI50
    3"ܐ ^x^uvb
    Ӏly6`>hHnK\MlW+KmL ,bi((8<n4,|T&W|"z<aU= $g,&{mc]kt-(j"ǔ,hz9e\r{un/PKY< m2{CIJ
    ANi[4ZFZ()00T(Xy,*$!–zi
    9j;]H~%Bх̓DUBa;MwWU+֛I4;1`\ xB<JbmU*U&:( 0IJy֓+JLbu
    Zec18laRH{1 )(wUlKjuI50
    3"ܐ ^x^uvb
    Ӏly6`>2p@DAx8 <A&ZH-H<aU=$g,&{mc]kt-(j"ǔ,hz9e\r{un/PKY< m2{CIJ
    ANi[4ZFZ()00T(Xy,*$!–zi
    9j;]H~%T
    J+Ni,N]-?/T?Z̷G`?o/za;MwWU+֛I4;1`\ܨxB<Jb mU*U&:(0IJy֓+ JLbu
    Zec18laRH{1 )(wUlKjuI50
    3"ܐ ^x^uvb
    Ӏly6`>jsl
    arZ Ѩ 8
    c@T
    J+NyB.cAA\:|U*8oxO*Mnq[HbJ7m&,v8m7ntBQQB%r y{Mx^
    oڜB"5\I2~*<qY@ Q6hSDdɋyB.cAA\:|U*8oxO*Mnq[HbJ7m&,v8m7ntBQQB% U5M47
    ^t>NHO$RFD6Tb͐-I2sz6(@޸A^!oڜB"5 \w0x4&*!K5:nEфlô4'cz U5M47
    ^t>NHO$RFͳz!l
    Z,&oCt F&A.[hl`"d>/ӤZ
    ֢# _z ;Vq*%r8m铴ƤBRV͇
    y Ӗ/x2dްz,sF=M5qKf*T3bũ
    *rq."mV̈́'zK/u$L
    %Js!'F)\/ 2 i[b0h
    `ޗCэ.A.
    )Af)Aj-Y|"ED ~
    ~NB TXTt$JA
    V:6߰C Օ汚]Bх̓DUBp&Q,IV*V[Q]U z@ڿ0a9-Yׂ˙a>793l[grYxN] N#0l8fF)1?\~9uXPLS gy||yP
    Z4X&ߍNS@:zfs>¼T
    x'Srˊ 9g*^ɂlܒsuc\6[mg{jwQ!t>$(}cJgUq Ytg,˗eŘ/UZf-{lYha
    Qķ%qy [m;rV=25܁q^௘uZvno/WT`g;Sux6<芗0GA?j.+ u/T
    9AS
    KP(zPx2peibTXTt$JA
    V:6߰C Օ汚]Bх̓DUB8&iq-p\>ݖ|Ľs̰z6߇8U0z/hŽQxr`ٹQnU?]BE@P%,/jHX:Li,N]-?/T?Z̷G`?o/za;MwWU+֛I4;1`\ܨxB<Jb mU*U&:(0IJy֓+ JLbu
    Zec18laRH{1 )(wUlKjuI50
    3"ܐ ^x^uvb
    Ӏly6`>t>NHO$RF
    ֢# _z ;Vq*%r8m铴ƤBRV͇
    8%)IJy֓+JLbu
    Zec18laRH{1 )(wUlKjuI50
    3"ܐ ^x^uvb
    Ӏly6`>oCt F&A.[hl`"d>/ӤZ
    ֢# _z ;Vq*%r8m铴ƤBRV͇
    8%)xW6vQ^
    D`3% *U&:(0IJy֓+JL bu
    Zec18laRH{1 )(wUlKjuI50
    3"ܐ ^x^uvb
    Ӏly6`>io.,1!1O
    !a\)[X 4KalœΙ(DMK/Wt-u:niiS2Բj&D6Tb͐-I2sz6(@޸A^!oڜB"5 \@Mu;cttJ[4=f#xOP~ۛ
    X.NpfF̔q
    dxW6vQ^
    D`3% .^ ѐ'D 0p !h4 Y0~L
    %Js!'F)\/ 2 i[b0h
    `ޗCэ.A.
    )Af)Aj-Y|"ED ~
    ~NB 6&:)ZteibTXTt$J A
    V:6߰C Օ汚]Bх̓DUBw>ݷt,bUXoQwijOio.,1 !1O
    !a\)[X 4KalœΙ(DMK/Wt-u:niiS2Բj&D6Tb͐-I2sz6(@޸A^!oڜB"5 \@Mu;ctt lT:9zŁlBKK5:nEфlô4'cz U5M47
    ^t>NP޲F/f:ݔ4' Si; ~T*R;i҂&Omj_+2_C 
    V:6߰C Օ汚]Bх̓DUB-Cʗ1d*4sI6\ lT:9zŁlBKK5:nEфlô4'cz U5M47
    ^t>Nƾ-%\nkt$JA
    V:6߰C Օ汚]Bх̓DUBz6߇8U0z/hŽQxr`ٹQnU?]BE@P%,/jHX:Li,N]-?/T?Z̷G`?o/za;MwWU+֛I4;1`\ܨxB<Jb mU*U&:(0IJy֓+ JLbu
    Zec18laRH{1 )(wUlKjuI50
    3"ܐ ^x^uvb
    Ӏly6`>pjf&OQ9i|Y.V=с|) pS}!
    H?dgԼp&jOk=/嚢3=v3'"#ZD-D좵t-u:niiS2Բj&D6Tb͐-I2sz6(@޸A^!oڜB"5 \@Mu;cttqCx8&iq-p\>ݖ|Ľs̰z6߇8U0z/hŽQxr`ٹQnU?]BE@P%,/jHX:Li,N]-?/T?Z̷G`?o/za;MwWU+֛I4;1`\ܨxB<Jb mU*U&:(0IJy֓+ JLbu
    Zec18laRH{1 )(wUlKjuI50
    3"ܐ ^x^uvb
    Ӏly6`>ElœΙ(DMK/Wt-u:niiS2Բj&D6Tb͐-I2sz6(@޸A^!oڜB"5 \@Mu;ctt䂴5M47
    ^t>NHO$RF(0IJy֓+J Lbu
    Zec18laRH{1 )(wUlKjuI50
    3"ܐ ^x^uvb
    Ӏly6`> 4KalœΙ(DMK/Wt-u:niiS2Բj&D6Tb͐-I2sz6(@޸A^!oڜB"5 \@Mu;cttW) 渔ׂP$ۺxTtX/kLTфlô4'czU5M47
    ^t>NX/kLTO
    &;LY-;T+
    €:JO{N
    Zj%@yI"\ePZp57FAwtNeC%6* uaoޡ`5"5-:P .5IPNXaDܺ[eB@TˑU`.tAupN"J\ 
    -DX:! 
    ^t>N⩨y@ՂNe_@f-MZi!`@vФ .Cj?D*G`VjaZy a9>F'm[`a[q]rf*4xcpV/E
    T+lE(Vb!n}s5
    ֛K4V :=bE' ; Dc
    !{I)<AF*Ku*ζ*jp£Me8[jT(<rҲo*Z\xB~0a<"pOp DpU sOCH*{7*BktljB!fTln ySH@f}v2Dped˅<xrNKie4 ZysIW}dšYY[6\6ܼ<x]#\c H$)A[
    <tEX9l`XbG!67-(i@HwGƥn,5+""%X`0D_ ـr?*E]V

N|!bعKߕ0u +*H**,X_*tu?}ܧl#;̱(!c ,@il`=NC1Av"CuC<\֪[pu,F bMl&(pJyMEe4Jj.c(IJ(.D* Ң!2"XAU J(X}*9D+Lt!NӇoX*a ^&e2$R=t G&~.!fVkJ36*J6$q\Mcʽ %[l] BGu"e Qض pq"-
    +P\TBj(FBe\ȣQi%@UeyBD Imq'QWѸr}R` -I
    cycj~x.7H=`'W`⯁iU$,j8WD#3 I&,{Jl`Wd"ZJr
    D!NW])B> I ⸍ ƤUⰅ6"fAE6NX`-"Ţ"y)@U#Ă1+
    !đΉ0o${d U"={ZizVB
    xrb-8i|(}RU_]+{mS˸[SMnJZ)(~+u]~r2]
    <PW"q>kMKXNX'9F! -v#Lc5`;.
    ,?L8x6VOn@$Yv[ q`*mA<1dè'DQ.عXpH4,u>A!C IEڰHWDvV<.
    <KV~)!.e,H 0F`L*
    M"M\nO$_|ҁ*`:C-̵erH&Ib1~^7 V\QDY8[XU9`]*b\*ۓY1opPFRubu h( 5!u`nO,RNi[HLS*")AWvx$$ݦNmķmJ
    dPUsIPaĖN++>
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Im just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Tainan Mantis:

Got a little carried away on the post and its a diversion form the original topic.

I have seen the Lan Jie tape and also there is a tape where he spars with my teacher Yang Xiao-dong (literally climbing up the back leg of my teacher and very fast). I have some footage of my teacher when he was in his 20s in Taiwan dong 5-8 Qi Qing Zai Yao, beng bu, li pi, lai men dao, and they all came from Master Su. Interesting beng bu has 3 levels. As far as Mantis goes, I have the Pimen and the other mantis tape. Also saw his tape of him, about 12 years ago, with him and 6 harmony master from China but he doesn't play. My teacher has a lot of tapes but they are his treasure and we only get to see them on ocassion. I have a short footage of a Wu Tan guy in the 70s doing a demonstration in a HS gymn of lan jie and never have seen such fast hand movement and grace. I have never seen anyone play a mantis forms with such speed and grace. Unfortunately, I understand this person quit the arts many, many years ago.

Relevant but diverts from your basic inquiry, sorry but you got me thinking of your old training days.

I have, and saw him doing, 64 internal palms (bagua), when he was very, very young and some other things (can't remember them), I also have a private tapping of him doing a baji form on his visit in 1990. I took a number of seminars from him and he hit me lightly once and of course, it hurt. I like Master Su and he is a lot fun. My teacher says he is an encyclapedia ( no da*n spell check)

Praying mantis was my teacher's first love and he spent a lot of time with Master Su before he left for South America. I love good mantis and you can see Andy Lianto from Indonesia (Tony's student) doing one versions of lan jie on Ma Long's website of the Hall of Fame tournament. Next week they are doing a seminar on fen shen ba zhou. I learned a lot of the 1-6 single sets (3) and the two man fight along with a number of two man fighting exercises. That was all I played in the 1980s along with the abstracted forms of Chen's, Yang's and bagua. It was his preference that everyone go through basic praying mantis but I really never could get the springing flavor and grace. All of the mantis and fighting came from Master Su. I don't many forms but have a lot on tape for future nephews etc.. I understand a lot about mantis since I had been around it for so long and instinctively use in sparring or two man fights. However, at 49, there is only so much you can do and I am trying to do catchup in baji and bagua.

I think mantis is a very much underrated system. The first day we learned a number of stationary elbow uses and knee uses. He would have many of the young mantis players do tons of standing in place snap kicks. Also had them sit in a leg crossed position and do hand strikes and exercises. Saw and did an exercise which looked like push hands but came from 8 step, I believe. Also did an exercise where someone thrusts a staff at our center and you learn to move 45 degree blocking and grabbing. Used to start every session with about 8 or 9 of the orginal 18 lohan and ended with a series of stance holding. Some trained in the higher levels and complete systems of mantis (extensive elbow and knee work) would do well against a muay thai boxer and conditioning of mantis matches any wing chun training, too. Again, praying mantis is so underrated and you are in a very great position and I always enjoy your posts and Paul Lin's posts. Sorry for the long winded post but your question just drew out a lot of memories from days past. You don't know how lucky you are being where you are at and learning what you know. I hope you carry back the tradition to the public. Mantis is a very great system and I do know a few who have used it in the street (not forms but the kicking and single moving techniques) and its a viable system. Please keep up your great postings!
    Last edited by RAF; 05-12-2002 at 07:27 AM.

Thumbs up

good stuff, I certanly enjoyed this part:

~NB TXTt$JA

again, great stuff
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Im just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Hey Kristoffer,

Have you gotten the link to work yet? Try "right click, save as..."
    Also, I think you need Windows Media Player to view it.

Brad -
    It's weird coz when I open a movie in Windows Media Player I can only hear the sound, but no image comes up. This has happend b4 and I have no clue what is wrong.

On Baji- www.emptyflower.com has alot of good old Pakua videos.

Kristoffer-

It just means that they're using a newer version of media player and you need to upgrade. I had to do it this morning and it was worth the download time.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Heh, the computer wiz in me
    Hey N-Mantis, not to be a pain in the ass but where do I upgrade my WMP? thx

Brad,

Here's another Baji vid for you. I don't know if you've seen this before, but its Baji's first form. Its quite beautiful.

Here it is, enjoy.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/baji/videoclips.htm
    "The folly of man is that he takes pride in what he destroys, and not what he creates."

i like that second video better
    where's my beer?