Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Baji

Check Ted Mancuso's website and good luck.
    What the address for his website?

Brad:

http://www.plumpub.com/

His VCDs are very well priced for the US. Probably the best prices in the states. Jarek also sells them.

The VCD he gave me is similiar to the one posted on the Kolumbus site, which I also like very much too.

Differences in the flavors of baji have to do with the time frame over the life of Li Shu Wen and on the Kolumbus website I can easily see how it tracks the two xiao bajis I know.

Originally posted by Kristoffer
    Heh, the computer wiz in me
    Hey N-Mantis, not to be a pain in the ass but where do I upgrade my WMP? thx
    When you open wmp go to help and in the submenu you will see "check for upgrade"
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 05-12-2002 at 03:09 PM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

ok thank's, I'll put it on my 'to-do' list
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

anyone have a link to see baji in application?

those forms look great indeed. just wish i could see some apps.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

http://www.wutangcenter.com/bajiandfight.html

Here is a link to help show the fighting applications. We refer to this particular group of single moving postures as jin gang ba shi. This is where most students in our school start. The postures build into both xiao baji and da baji. Both xiao baji and da baji have their own A & B synchronized fight based on the form itself. We do a lot of stationary one punches (3 or 4 variations) and we do a lot of moving one punches alone and in application. We do a variation of the one punch and then elbow strike as a two man moving exercise. We also take the big pads and one guy holds in a posture and the other strikes. Here we use kicking, punching postures and move up and down an area.

Also do a lot of two man kao striking, learning to sink the weight in your strike.

Master Su's tapes have very good application demonstrations but are in Japanese. You get a written English transcript.

We also do exercises punching a tree but not the ones in the states. Taiwan has tree whose pulp is very soft and that is what is used. If you scroll down you can see one of these trees:
    http://www.wutangcenter.com/masteryang.htm

We also bang on posts to learn full body strikes.

The training can get boring and much has to be done on your own. However, if you follow it correctly, you can really learn to punch well. If you start in your twenties and train intensly, you get all the health benefits of any internal system and the power to go with it. There is also neigong/qi gong training but it is based more on fighting applications.
    Last edited by RAF; 05-12-2002 at 04:42 PM.

thanks RAF.

you said "....if you start in your twenties...."

so if you are older you won't get the benefits you mention?
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

3 levels of Bengbu

RAF,
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, but would like to find out.
    There is the Yentai and Laiyang Bengbu sometimes called large and small.
    There is also the Taiji PM version of Yentai Bengbu sometimes called middle.
    Is this what you mean?
    Or 3 types of training methods?

8 Elbows seminar...
    What version of 8 Elbows?
    Who and where?

And before I forget.
    You posted a page with nice pics of Gao Daosheng. That was really nice.
    Don't want to sound picky, but the 3rd character for his name is Sheng as in hsien sheng or "mister"

The web page listed it as Shen "spirit"

Tainan Mantis:

Thanks for the tip on Gao DaoSheng but I am not the webmaster so I'll pass it on.

Its been 12 years since I have done beng bu but the levels are small technique posture changes. I never learned the 2nd or 3rd levels but the changes are only small and in three or four places. Sometimes I think these are signatures of the teacher. The beng bu most likely came from Master Su.

The fen shen ba zhou seminar is at our school but no one can take it unless they complete qi qing zai yao 1-8. The qi qing zai yao I know has 6 harmony mantis in it. Supposedly a 6 harmony mantis wanted to make his form "harder" and so traded with a 7 star mantis master. The form has both 6 harmony and 7 star movements in it. All I know about the fen shen ba zhou is there are 4 forms and he is only teaching the first one. Sorry I can't help you more with the mantis. When Tony came to the United States, he spoke no English and most of his students were just regular guys. No Chinese majors etc.. So some of this is rough. I only know a bit of pinyin and spoken tongue. Taiwan accent is sometimes hard to translate into pinyin but we are working on it.

Later.

If you scroll down you can see one of these trees:
    http://www.wutangcenter.com/masteryang.htm
    cool, I never noticed it before, but I made it into the tournament pictures, lol. Well, about half of me at least

Wink

Justa Man:

Just reread my self-indugent BS. So I re-edit and want to try to keep things in the public as informational as is possible. E-mail me if you want to discuss the age thing.

I turned 49 last week and continue to train the baji basics. I got a late start in baji at age 40 and didn't really get into to it until 42. Its never too late but I don't train the pace of a 20 or 35 year old. Xiao baji and da qiang training really helped my taiji along. So there are days that taiji plays a greater role. Its never too late. You just adjust your pace and age. My xiao baji is 100 times better than it was 7 years ago.

My comment regarding the twenties was just wishful thinking of an "old" man as I watch and help train the young guys coming up in their 20s and only imagine what they will be like in their 30s if they keep at it. Its only looking back now that I can see so many things and how much time I wasted trying to find "the secret form" when all the gold is in the basics! You can play the basics as long as you breath.

If you have access to a good teacher, start at any age. I think you have to be realistic and know that the benchmark for benefits isn't a comparison of a 40 year old to a 20 year old. I think you cannot measure "benefits" by some outside benchmark. If you think about it, the measurement is an abstraction.

You would need "the ideal martial artist" to measure where you stand and no ideal exists. The comparision is dangerious when you look at others to gauge where you are at. Only you know where you started at and how far you've gone.

I think its terribly important to make sure you are also having fun doing martial arts. You know, a couple of laughs, good meals, friends & family, and fun times.

PS. I notice that you are a bagua practitioner. GM Liu used to tell his top disciples: "you will thank me in your old age for teaching you bagua." As I enter my 50s, bagua will come to dominate my training (baji can be played with little or no stomping and the da qiang exercises are really great for developing the body so they will stay). Although its complex in nature, from the standpoint of exercise, I think its the most complete system I have ever seen. The xiao kai men, 8 mother palms, the quasi-linear forms, the brick and ring training, all of the basics are really great. Even the bagua leg routine which is a bear to play is fantastic for conditioning. This is not to discount the fightng aspects, they too are superb!
    Last edited by RAF; 05-13-2002 at 05:31 AM.

Is Pakua just another spelling for Bagua? Or are there differences?
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Bagua Zhang, pa kua chang the same.

RAF

Happy Belated Birthday! I understand what you mean about age and pace. I guess I am grateful at my relatively young age (26) and my realizing the things you mention about basics and consistant pace, etc. If the basics are strong than whatever is built on top of that will be sound. I get as giddy as a 6 year old when I think that when I'm 40, I will have 18 years of pretty darn consistant training in ba gua.
    It's true about measuring benefits. It's all relative to who is training. The art to me is more about the personal life long quest than anything else. But at the same time, I'm a real competitive person and find myself measuring myself up to my peers way too often.
    I think GM Liu is right on RAF. The twisting energies that play out in ba gua are a godsend to the ligaments, tendons and joints. I feel terrible for our country's elderly. Go to any nursing home to see for yourself. But in the end I can only be thankful for stumbling onto the path of ba gua zhang and can only hope to show others how beneficial these arts can be.

What's the difference between Wu Tang and Wu Tan? anything?

Wu Tan v. Wu Tang (long before the musical group). I know in 1980 the banner my teacher brought from Taiwan already had Wu Tang on it. Wu Tan, alter upon which all traditional martial arts can be brought to and preserved.

http://www.wutan.org/

Go to the right side at the bottom and you can read the story of the name.

26 is a great age to be in it. I hope you continue your art.

Good luck in your training.

Who do you study with?