Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grappling at shaolin.......

communication skills

See what I mean about communication with BL? Of course, we all see, since that is really the heart of the issue here.

No, I'm not in Dengfeng. I'll be in Zhengzhou in two weeks for the 1st World Traditionals, and probably only come out to Dengfeng for some visits. This has always been the plan. And I don't know if Mr. Wang has a scanner - what am I? his secretary? Why don't you ask him for yourself?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Grappling in Kung Fu

And I've met Shaolin instructors who knew this stuff.
    I have a signature.

Gene...........

Right!! .Communication!!!........

..... So not in Deng Feng ha??.....well okay........how'd you expect to receive the pics??? Can you bring a scanning wand when you come??

Philbert: - really good link, but I was talking about standing grappling and because ppl 've previously said it didn't exist at shaolin , I though t ppl might like to see my pics.

There're a few other kf note worthy pics I think folks might like to see aswell. Hope you enjoy, but guess we're waiting for a couple of weeks.

Cheers

B

Fall 2018

The Dao of Kung Fu Grappling: How Heavy Ancient Weapons Apply to Unarmed Combat
    By Chris Friedman

FALL 2018

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have been living in Songshan Shaolin for three years now, and have a pretty clear idea of how things work. Qin Na is a traditional part of Shaolin kung fu, unfortunately this generation trains in almost no Qin Na at all. I have had teachers that studied about 20 years ago they know a little, then I have one teacher who trained 40 years ago and he knows a lot. Then there is Sanda which is Chinese kickboxing with throws ,but unfortunately that is slowly being replaced with Bo Ji{kickboxing} which has no throws.

Thanks for the vids.

Many modern grappling arts nowadays have been moving away from developing in mma competion and more into development of moves that shine in it’s pure competition format. I think grappling for fighting itself has been mostly a “solved game”

However, I think there’s still plenty to learn. Traditional forms I notice take this dominance attitude and bring it to the world of neutralizing opposing limbs from grabbing things in small qin na. Large qin na for that big tumble on their head . Its resembles a lot of police work. Its sad because I think more traditional students should take a look at their traditional skills when it develops easier with their own goals. Supplementing with bjj/wrestling still definitely develops someones power and skills development, but it may not mesh seamlessly with their core systems traditional strategies and goals.

Is anyone aware of songshan subsystems or forms that really highlight small and big qin na moreso than others? Of course they all contain these things, but very proportionatelly more? I wouldn’t say I’m that knoweledgable on Songshan Shaolin wushu. I hope other can keep this thread going.
    Last edited by NotGreg; 11-03-2018 at 05:15 PM.