Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite Skills

Elite Skills

I find that when i'm in combat i actually have to think about the moves that i do. Does anyone know how to develop the ability to simply perform the moves without thinking about it?

S
    Black Mantis

Re: Elite Skills

Originally posted by blackmantis
    I find that when i'm in combat i actually have to think about the moves that i do. Does anyone know how to develop the ability to simply perform the moves without thinking about it?

S
    You might not like the answer, but-

PRACTICE MORE.

it's the ONLY way.

Just like learning to play a musical instrument (or walk and talk if you can remember that far back) it takes 3-5 years putting in 3-5 hours a day.

Re: Re: Elite Skills

Originally posted by QuaiJohnCain
    You might not like the answer, but-

PRACTICE MORE.

it's the ONLY way.
    Yeah, he is right, practice more. Practice with a partner who is providing 100% resistance. Practice the forms. Practice AT LEAST 2 hrs a day, 6 days a week.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Greetings..

It is also helpful to work with a partner that is not focused of winning.. together you can both analyze movement, leverage energy, balance and technique.. a complete understanding of the technique is a good step in internalizing it.. understand it so that it makes sense, so that it makes sense to use it.. internalizing is much easier if you believe in the technique.. not just something you add to your bag of tricks, something you "know and understand"..

Be well... (hmmm.. i guess that falls under "practice")
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

human nature dictates that it takes 30 days to make or break a habit. Like the boys've said..practice more, make it part of te way you operate and you'll be there in no time......... throw in some meditation and call it a synopsis

cheers

BL

I've always heard 21 days...not a big difference either way though.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

North of the equator=17.56 days

South of the equator=23.7 days

Within a 7 mile radius of Stonehenge=10 days

"human nature dictates that it takes 30 days to make or break a habit."

Human nature? Perhaps some study? Either way you pulled it out of your butt

Greetings..

It occurs to me that as much as we are individuals it is likely difficult to set some specific time period for 'breaking a habit"..

i wonder how long it would take for the self-appointed thread police to break that annoying habit.. it seems that no matter how harmless a remark may be, someone is always willing to turn it into conflict..

Maybe it's the rotten weather (hurricane after hurricane) getting to me, but the pointless and pathetic bickering is quickly reducing this Forum to an effort not worthwhile.. it seems no thread is safe, no comment immune from conflict or aggression.. the juvenile dance of bullies and whiners will sap the last breath decency from a once neat Forum..

<heavy sigh> Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

It's the overall stress worldwide. Lots of crap happening everywhere. People end up wanting to vent, which just ups the stresslevel for others who now have to wade through the muck for decent info/debate, etc.

If it's troubling, take a break. After all, none of these posts really should affect your life. Any info you find here really should be followed up on so you can verify things on your own.

There are other community 'portals' out there if that's what is sought. This forum is not unique. Or like I mentioned earlier, just skim through the junk in between all the info.

I always read beyond words. I go to the heart that motivates the thought and then speech or actions. I am not bothered by emotional knee jerk reflexes in words. These things do clutter the mind and blur the perception or reception of the truth from the heart.

I was in debate clubs both in high school and college. I heard argument and counterarguments emotional or rational all the time. But the topic of debate is still there. What do I know about the topic, what do I think about the topic? What are the posts or debate arguments relevant to the topic, noises or not.

The loudest noises come from weakest points. A truthful statement incites a deeper understanding of the topic. Oops, I am talking about Chan again.

You do have to think in combat. You look and analyze the opponent's moves. You find the weak point. You plan and set up to expose the weakest point. Pooh. with the least amount of effort, you prevail. Fight smart and not hard.

If there is a big rock like a mountain on the road, everybody walks around it like a detour. You may climb it or dig a tunnel if you want. We will meet you on the other side.

It is about winning. Why work harder, when you do not need to?

Think. Think and Think.

Practice. Practice and practice. To cover your weakness and put your strong point to good use at the weakest link of the opponent. Winning is about tactics and strategy.

If you fight without thinking, you may be the bull.

Who is the bullfighter then?

You yield to the strongpoint, you set up and you counterattack. Ask the bullfighter how he or she does it?

Last edited by SPJ; 09-26-2004 at 09:38 PM.

You do what you train to do.

Drill your basics and apply them. Play to your strengths and use the things you, don't have to think about."Play your game" not his.

That is your real GUNG-FU.

Practice your skill until it becomes your naturalism.
    Using the sword rashly and must hurt others,that's a muderer;
    Hiding the sword like commons and using it when must,that's a knight-errant.

Originally posted by Buddy
    "human nature dictates that it takes 30 days to make or break a habit."

Human nature? Perhaps some study? Either way you pulled it out of your butt
    actually, I pulled it out of my psychology / couselling text books yrs ago then Anthony Robins nlp programmes thereafter. Of course, there must be acceptions, but as a general standard, that's it

Funny I fought and was disqualified in the Wan Fe Hung tournament this weekend and something strange happened.

I was paired up with a 240lbs guy for my first fight, I now weight 198.

The guy charged hard the first three exchages. All I could do was ride it out and get a feel for his weight and power. He had a lot of both and vigor too at young 20 something.

I foundmyself, to my amazement, switching to old Ishin-Ryu tactics, stuff I used as a kid. I watched the video and even saw me pulling my pant leg up a bit to load the side kick.

It softened the guy up. I landed some good kicks to his belly and it tired and weakened him .... took the fight out.

Then I went back to what I wanted to do. Use a low front kick to draw his low defense and charge in .... it was at this point I got disqualified for face contact.

Appears you can hit the side of the head but not the face. But throwing a hook against a guy with 42 lbs on you kind of asks to be run over, you need straight.

Interesting lesson in there somewhere. Kind of disapointed I couldn't use my game plan to beat this guy straight out, but glad I was smart enough to change and adapt.

I'll post the footage when my friend can get it to me on disk, tomorrow or Wed.

Faced the guy later in Chi Sau, I got thrown out of that one too. That's another post.