Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Elite Skills

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire

I'll be writing a book on Vietnam later next year. It would be titled something like - heroic deeds of a kung fu soldier. Until then end of discussion.
    Until then end of fantasy. When you do publish I promise to give it a cover to cover reading and if your story doesn't hold up I will publically point out its inconsistancies. So please provide the proof in the book that you will not post here.

Mr Browning, I seem to recall having read of recent instances of people who claimed to be war veterans/ heroes being prosecuted when it was discovered that they'd fabricated the whole thing. Would it be possible to report eggo to any law enforcement agaencies (FBI maybe?) so that he may be investigated for his claims?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Originally posted by cerebus
    Mr Browning, I seem to recall having read of recent instances of people who claimed to be war veterans/ heroes being prosecuted when it was discovered that they'd fabricated the whole thing. Would it be possible to report eggo to any law enforcement agaencies (FBI maybe?) so that he may be investigated for his claims?
    While I am not an expert in Federal law, there are two potential avenues of approach. If he is claiming particular military decorations he does not have, this may be a crime. However since he has not yet revealed his true name I doubt he could be prosecuted. Such actions are rarely brought, unless the proof is much clearer, like a picture of ego wearing a uniform with military decorations he was not entitled to. So he could falsely claim he was in delta force, but if he runs around wearing a silver star he never earned, he might be in trouble. However if he currently holds a federal or state job and lied on his CV there might be a law prohibiting that, especially if he claimed a veteran's preference he was not entitled to, but my guess is that it would have to be a government job for there to be any criminal penalties attached.

Secondly if he is falsely receiving veterans benefits for a combat related disorder when he never served in combat, such deception could lead to the revocation of his benefits and possible criminal charges. In that case it doesn't matter whether he tells the truth here, but it does matter whether he told the truth to the VA.
    Last edited by Samuel Browning; 10-16-2004 at 09:45 PM.

Oh well, there are...... "other" ways of reaching him.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Guess we'll have to find you ourselves.

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
    Samuel Browning,

Rest assured, my book will be a comprehensive piece of reseach and I will welcome anyone who wishes to review. You're right, the forum is not the best medium to talk about this matters because time permitting, it is not possible to cover all the percieved holes. In addition to the actual accounts, i will be writing a semi-fictional book for mass consumption. The general population is not that interested in sitting though a heavy historical piece.

EE
    Then I suggest to set yourself apart from others like Frank Dux you do the following.

1) Reprint your DS 214 form in full in the book's insert and provide a release in the book so that the skeptical like myself can obtain a copy of this record to confirm your story promptly.

2) Clearly identify all units you served with, and provide a chronology of when you served with them, and the full names of your commanding officers and sargents so your account can be confirmed.

3) Have nationally recognized authorities on SOG or which ever other special unit you were assigned to, confirm your service BEFORE you publish this book. In writing, and with contact information so their endorsement can be verified.

I would recommend to Gene that before his magazine prints ego's account that it let some people go over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure it is truthful.

Finally if you want to write fiction like Richard Marsinco, fine, but clearly identify it as such, i.e. it never happened. Describing a book as semi-fictional, for mass consumption is just a receipe for spreading untruths. Either make the book a truthful account or identify it as fiction, otherwise you just spread garbage.
    Last edited by Samuel Browning; 10-17-2004 at 11:14 AM.

Originally posted by cerebus
    I'm guessing that what needs to happen here is that everyone cancels their KF Magazine subscriptions and boycotts all products sold through the mag until eggo gets booted off the forum. I'll start with all my own friends & training partners and see how many I can get to follow up with me.
    Sorry Cerebus, you are on your own on that one.

I just don't have the ability to find Ego important enough to stop buying the best KF magazine I have been able to find in order to boycott his presence on an affiliated online forum.

Besides which, his erroneous stories are humourous in a tall-tales sort of way.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Originally posted by looking_up
    Stop thinking "technique".
    methinks it couldn't be better said
    "...ukelele no good..."-FLCL

Originally posted by Chinese Guy
    Practice your skill until it becomes your naturalism.
    I read an article in the "Inside Kung-Fu" article and that was what was said in a nutshell as in the other post i posted.
    of course i now need to, er, uh, go practice, ahem
    "...ukelele no good..."-FLCL

Practice your naturalism until it becomes a skill.