Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite Skills

Thumbs up

Good posts and good tactics and strategy.

The opponent used his weight advantage to charge. You avoided the front. You set up a fake low and a real high attack. You caught him when he was not prepared and where he was not guarding. (Gong Qi Bu Bei; Gong Qi Bu Fong. Sun Tzu 2500 years ago)

I was trying to avoid turning this thread into a Chan thread.

Anyway.

One pointedness of mind and body or no mind.

When you see an opportunity, your steps, your fists or your weapon are there. (Shou Dou Jiao Dou)

Zen and samurai ( 800 years).

Chan and Shaolin Kungfu (1500 years).

Meditation and Wu Dang.

Use your will to guide your Qi. Use your Qi to move your Li. (Tai Ji).

On and on.

On thinking in fighting

This thread got me thinking about a similarity in surfing:

You see the wave coming at you and you need to decide a) paddle towards it, b) stay where you are or c) paddle towards shore to get into shallowe water.

Once you determined that, you need to decide if its breaking right or left, or maybe closing out and you don't want it at all.

Then, you have to decide if you will a) paddle straight towards shore and turn into the wave once you catch it, or b) catch it on an angle and start going right away.

This is all conscious preperation, reading what's going on, putting yourself in position. ONCE YOU ARE UP AND GOING YOU'RE SURFING, GOING WITH WHAT THE WAVE DOES.

Think about this and fighting. You shield be constantly reading the guy, what he's trying to do, tendencies he's showing. You formulate your game plan and choose when to engage. But once engaged your training should take over.

Chi sau more. Chi sau as often as you can. That will train your hands to find the holes on their own, hopefully train your elbows to do the blocking while they do their thing. This frees you up to almost watch the fight, act as the general, not the troops.

Maybe this sounds a little 'out there', but I think working a movement slowly with a willing partner works wonders for being able to 'feel' the essence of movements, and then making that feeling a natural thing, rather than a contrived thought process.

Hawk graps Sparrow is a good example. If done slowly for a while, you feel the uprooting with the entry, the blending, then the grasp while stepping or turning or whatever you are doing. This movement should be a natural movement once learned this way.

As someone said, this approach is learning what the technique DOES, not just that it is some movement. It helps one learn and understand the essence of the energy being manipulated and applied.

Actually, I train what you're talking about a lot CD Lee.

In training drill fist, I have a partner collapse me and I slowly try to pick him up just using bear power, trying to relax all the muscles that aren't doing the job.

That's part one.

Then you train picking the collapsing arm up and turning it out using the elbow while striking with the fist, but train the mechanics. YOu do it over and over and pick up the intensity.

Then in fighting, say if a wing chun guy pac sau's you, you automatically pick it up, get inside, open him up and hit.

Training and fighting are different. Just like sighting your scope on the traget range and shooting at someone who's shooting at you is different.

Stop thinking "technique". Just get to know your body, move, and tag. That's all you can afford to "think" about, isn't it?

I think these training drills are of the "getting to know your body" variety.

Train, train, train .... test, test, test. You don't think about the technique of tying your shoe because you are acquinted with it. But there is a technique to it. There is a technique to buttoning a shirt as well.

Get familiar with your fighting system.

Word. If you know that the elements are more than just "techniques", you know what I'm talking about.

But as CD said, you have to start to apply it functionally. A slower speed is usually a good idea. If you are just getting used to applying or using Nei Jin principles? Best to go slower and adhere to what you are trying to get or feel.

You can do it fast as well if you build toward it... the real point is that speed won't get you there, power wont get you there.. when you get there? Speed and power arrive.

Kelvin,
    "It does sound a little out there and you may be making a big deal out of nothing. It's not like you think of step one, step two etc. You should just do it like in real fighting."

You know nothing about real fighting and less about internal martial arts so shut the fuk up

is that right Mr. victim of "let's humour him for a while , give him some rope and see how far he takes it????"

you're an egg and if you believe everything you read , you're more sucker than player , and If I didn't feel sorry for you, I'd be rflmao

too cool for this gal

bl, that's "roflmao". I've already taught you that once. This is your remedial re-training class.

And you can rest assured we don't believe everything we read (especially when it comes from you & ego ).
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

my remedial retraining class??

don't worry, I'm very very patient and if you need retraining, you've come to th right person
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 10-03-2004 at 07:50 PM.

Michelle,
    You lack the basic skills to be understood. My daughter howled at your use of English. 30? she asked. I said I know honey but I've known ozzys that could write quite well.
    BTW I'm not convinced you are a "gal"
    Last edited by Buddy; 10-04-2004 at 05:13 AM.

LOL! Even Gene Ching has his doubts about bl's "gal-ness".
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

We've had this discussion here before about video instruction and I think most of us agreed, as long as you have a good base in one art or other, in lieu of having a teacher available , it's probably not so funny. Not as good as the real thing, but valid nonetheless.