Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite Skills

Fortunately for Bai He, he HAS the real thing. And access to better.

better than the real thing??

I think I'd pay to see that. Look, trite comments like the above are little more than displaying your immaturity and I'm going for lunch so happy trolling.

Blewme,
    "better than the real thing? I think I'd pay to see that."

Really, how much? I'm the real thing and my teacher and seniors are better. Bai He has access to both. Sorry logic aludes you.

"Look, trite comments like the above are little more than displaying your immaturity"

When you start being a parent you can comment about maturity. It's not just a matter of biology, any **** can pop a kid out. It takes an adult to live up to the responsiblity.

"and I'm going for lunch so happy trolling.'

If nothing else, I've got you to admit you're out to lunch.

Kelvin,
    "Is this another of your unbiased comments. Of course you say everything associated with you is good. eg. your students, your family, your daughter, your acting, your command of English."

Finally you recognise the truth.

"Funny how in our troll off you're the one who had to dig words out from the gutter.'

I didn'y have to dig them, they came readily, you know, with my superior vocabulary and all.

"Maybe if you can see past your ego, you'll find a better perspective of good and bad. Maybe someday you'll discover the real thing."

Maybe so but you won't be anywhere near it, faker.

Ego, it seems pretty bloody simple to me.

You said 'Bai He, OH NO! are you learning martial arts from a CD?' - obviously your reading comprehension skills need tuning. He said 'As CD said' not 'As THE CD said'.

BL then picked up on your stupidity and ran with it, rambling on about video learning.

Buddy simply said that no, Bai He's NOT learning from a video, he's learning from a real, live instructor. ie. 'the real thing'

He said Bai He has access to 'the real thing', and better. Meaning he has access to an instructor, and also someone/people who are better than his instructor - ie. better than Buddy. Meaning Luo De Xiu and Buddy's seniors. How egotistical.

BL in her haze of constant stupidity misinterpreted his comments and attacked him - 'better than the real thing??' - funny that, for an english teacher she doesn't seem to be able to understand or write legible english.

Perhaps the both of you should learn to shut your yaps and spend more time reading than writing.
    Last edited by Finny; 10-05-2004 at 11:00 PM.

Finny is extremely correct. *Bows*
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Right-o mate.

FWIW I've been lurking here for years. I practise what I preach - reading more than writing. I just registered to reply to this thread. I've seen Buddy actually contribute worthwhile information to various forums. What've you contributed besides abuse?

Well done on the Santa Claus thing by the way, very mature comeback.

Seems sadly ironic you advising him to get over his ego.

This will be my last reply to this thread, given that I'm not really involved or contributing anything to the discussion.

I just really wanted to offer you that advice - read more than you write, and only write when you really have something to say, or a question to ask. It'll make the forums a much more enjoyable and educational place for everyone.

I've seen some of the most knowledgeable martial artists in the world leave the Japanese martial arts forums because of newbies and trolls hassling them when they were kindly answering questions. Lets try to keep that sort of negativity to a minimum ok?

Cheers,

Brendan

Finny mate;

Enjoyed reading your posts and agreed.

In response to the first post:

How do you respond with countermove without thinking?

If you pratice them as 1-2-3.

If someone punches you in the face with his fist; (1)

You raise your left forearm to Tiao and punch his chest or abdomen with your right fist. (Pao Quan in Xing Yi)

If the opponent moves back and uses his left forearm to intercept (Lan or Jie) your right fist; and swings about his right fist back to hit your nose. (Mantis or Tong Bei) (2)

You move back and swing up your right forearm to intercept or Guo and do a sidekick with your right foot.

On and on.

Like a chess play. People think 2 or 3 steps ahead.

You practice your moves and countermoves in a set of 3 or more.

When in fight, the opponent move a single move at a time. You are thinking or moving with at least 3 moves in sequence, if needs to.

You pratice countermoves to counter the opponent's countermoves.

1-2-3.
    Last edited by SPJ; 10-07-2004 at 07:43 AM.

Agreed that fight is random and unpredictable.

The basic idea of 1-2-3;

Your move will be countered. You look for these countermoves, they can be several or more.

You think and practice what if your move is countered with what. What to do next?

It is not uncommon in the Toulu of Mantis or Shaolin. There are moves and countermoves in a series of 3 upto 7 or more.

If you practice strikes in a series or in a combo,

Why not practice the move-countermove- counter countermove in a serie or combo?

Actually, Wing Chun or Mantis, they temporarily restrain one or both hands of the opponent, then come the strike (3).

Of course, you may get the opponent in the first move.

But to an experienced fighter, your first move will always be countered. If not, the fight is over at the first move.

If you have a reflex or logic of 1-2-3, if needs to.

Or even just 1-2.

You study this way slowly in practice. How to reposition, your fist blocked, intercepted or even grabed, how to turn around or how to neutralize and counter attack.

When in fight, you are more prepared in mind and body.
    Last edited by SPJ; 10-07-2004 at 07:57 AM.

I don't know, maybe I'm ignorant, but when I can I like to use set ups to guarantee an outcome .... strike the upper gate to force a block to open the lower. Feint a kick to the knee to lower the guard so you can jam it and strike the face.

Of course, the other guy is not a statue. If he's collapsed, he's either going to try to pick you up (in which case you let him and get elbow position underneath) or he'll run the hand, in which case you just hit.

The point, because there are limitations, predicatability is high. The only unknown is how he'll open. That's why, when I feel I can I like to engage with a set up. My last fight I couldn't ... the guy was big and agressive. I had to wait.

EE;

Every body may have his or her opinions.

No, you do not have to agree with me.

EF mentioned a good point.

To fake the first attack to induce the opponent to a certain move, you then go head with your setup.

This is called Yin Shou Zhang (lead hand) in Tong Bei.

It fakes a Shuai Zhang (back throw hand) to the face, the opponent will engage with a block. You then turn your hand around in a circle and go outside and attack.

It is difficult to explain in words.

I simply reported that in many schools of Wushu, there are sets of moves and countermoves.

You want be flexible. How to be flexible? that is the question.

You may not need to defend "fixed" zones around you. Because you may always move away.

Good discussions.

I have many teachers. No, I am no stoogies. I'd rather be a muskateer.

Cheers.

Last edited by SPJ; 10-07-2004 at 06:05 PM.

Good points.

If you may win on the first strike, yes go ahead and hit the face and follow with more strikes.

What if your first strike is blocked, please advise what to do next?

What if your first strike is blocked, and the opponent counterstrikes, what to do then?

If you are thinking about it now in fight, it is too late.

That is what I mean to study 1-2-3 several possible senarios.

A smart bunny always have 3 nests.

If you only have plan A, what if it does not work?

Where is your plan B?

I enjoy your view of single strike, one plan and win it all.

Last edited by SPJ; 10-10-2004 at 07:25 AM.

On the same note.

We do not need fire exit, fire stairs, because we have an elevator and the main door.

When the main outlet is blocked by the fire, we only have to bang into the walls or run into the fire.

Agreed to your point, we do not need fire drills?

The hospital does not need backup power or emergency lights, because we have the main power. The earth quake takes the powers out, we all have infrared visions.

The fire exists are jokes then. We are all cartoonists, we may walk tru the wall or the fire.
    Last edited by SPJ; 10-10-2004 at 07:30 AM.

WTC on 9/11;

It took people more than 1 hour to walk down the fire stairs when the towers were struck.

I wonder how is the strategy now for fire evacuation in the freedom tower.

Last edited by SPJ; 10-10-2004 at 07:29 AM.

EE;

Actually, you are right. We may not pre-plan a fight or a foot ball game.

However, we are still "trained" to respond to "what if" drills.

The foot ball practice or basket ball practice and even the fireman, police etc are all doing mock drills or practices.

You are a scientist and retired Army man.

I owe you the Greatest respects.