Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Jones KO'd

Roy Jones KO'd

what has happened to this cat??

this was once the man who nobody could lay the leather on, and now he get's KO'd...AGAIN....

**** man

did any of y'all watch this fight? Roy looked like he didn't wanna be in there. Like he was more concerned with not getting hit than hitting back, and the punch stats showed that to be true, in a way...

Johnson came out swinging & brought the fight to him ALL 9 rounds, then planted a right & down Jones went....

to quote jar jar binks, "my give up..."
    In mildness is the strength of steel

wow, didn't see the fight, but read the first news clip from ESPN.

so think he's been focusing too much on entertainment (movies, music, etc) over training? or d'ya think he's just gettin' older?

Probably time to retire, while the ol' grey matter is still functional.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

fighters come and go.

the lifespan of a winning fighter really isn't that long.

He had his time and he was a remarkable fighter. And now it's time to step aside for the next set of up and comers.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Jones got older, and Johnson did exactly what a fighter needed to, to beat Roy. Make no mistake, Roy was fast like a cat, and took plenty of punches to the head and face, before the end came.

Johnson, while not considered a great fighter, is experienced, tough, and knew how to implement his plan. He said he stayed in closer to Roy, so if Roy jumped in to throw those classic one l to two punch combos, he would be able to counter while still in range.

Also, Johnson very effectively used the JAB to constantly keep Jones off rythym, shortciruiting his punches, and blinding him. Johnson was also constantly pressuring Jones, and Jones although hitting Jonson with those usual fast punches, was never able to hurt the light heavyweight enough to slow his charge forward.

Unlike most other Roy Jones opponents, Glen Johnson did exactly what Emanual Stuard said Tarver did to beat Roy. When Roy punches, punch with him.

Yeah I saw the fight. Roy Jones looked like he didn't even want to bother throwing any punches at Johnson. He just took those onslaught of hits and couldn't even move a muscle after he hit his head twice on the canvas from the K.O.
    Cool Beans

Roy Jones Jr is now dead to me...YOU HEAR THAT ROY?!? DEAD!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

It's a shame, he used to dance circles around everyone.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

well, you can't stay at the top forever.

geez, every dog has his day guys. he did his thing, it's someone elses turn.

It's only a good thing that he doesn't remain in it for much longer only to become another punch drunk cauliflower eared dude who can't enjoy the money he made because all he knows is that he likes soup a lot.

RJ jr is a heck of a good fighter, but his time was up.

Don't ask for whom the bell tolls and all that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

too bad

he was a great fighter, but fighting at that weight for him was unnatural anyway. He should've done that earlier in his career if he was gonna fight at light heavy....

cuz now he's a lil' older & fighting guys who's natural fight weight is light heavy range. He's obviously not quite as fast as he used to be and that fact is prolly magnified since he's heavier than he should be...he shoulda moved back down to middle weight when he had the chance.

if he still wants to fight he should drop back down to middle & see what happens. Personally though, I think he should call it quits. He's still cognizant of the world around him & can enjoy life, and he's had an incredible career. He should chill while he can still enjoy it, imho. He was definitely one of the greats
    In mildness is the strength of steel

During his prime he was the most dominant fighter in his class. A great ****-talker and general thug. But I agree with the majority here. He needs to stop while he can spell his name.
    "Are you thinking what I'm thinking Pinkey?"

"I think so Brain, but me and Pippy Longstockings, I mean, what would the children look like?"

Related but...

Sorry to change the subject but does anyone know what the hell Le Banner's reason for throwing the towel in on Botha was the other day?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I was shocked when he got knocked out. He didn't seem himself when he was in there. he just covered and went to the ropes allot. I don't think he was fully recovered mentally from his loss to tarver.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

You guys gotta give Roy some credit. He DID throw punches, and landed some very solid hooks to Johnson's jaw more than once. He also landed a lot of good body shots. The deal here, was that Glen Johnson is a real light heavy, and he didn't get hurt by Roy's punches.

Watched the fight again, and man....Johnson just constantly, took a Jones punch, and then just walked right though Roy to deliver his own blows.

Can't be too hard on Jones. I saw the fight and reviewed it again.
    His head hitting the canvas twice after the solid Johnson right hand was the main reason IMO for the concussion.

Jones is not an old man. Johnson was/is about Jones's age.
    Johnson's own analysis of the fight was informative. Most of Jones's other opponents tried to fight Jones on the outside. Johnson planned to take the inside route as much as possible - staying with Jones punch for punch and more and keeping up the pressure. Tarver was a different situation- a good southpaw and Jones had his right guard down and there came the perfectly timed Tarver left..

Jones is still a great warrior witha great amateur and pro record
    and deserves to be honored..

Johnson also hada very competent trainer with the right advice at the right time.

But the handwork of Jones, Tarver and Johnson are miles ahead
    pf mma folks<g>