Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: size and strengh do not matter

Hybrid View

1. size and strengh do not matter

Someone in my other thread mentioned that no matter how much weigfht they lift, how strong they are or mascular this will not mean they have a stronger punch or can manhandle you in the clinch. I think size does matter, or else the David vs Goliath myth wouldn't mean anything.

David vs Goliath myth
    Myth....

meaning not real...BB, you really need to get a life.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

If two fighters of the same style and skill were to fight, my money would be on the larger, stonger of the two. Of course endurance is a factor as well.

This argument has been thrashed out so many times here, and general concenus is that it ( size) matters.

I personally don't agree, and because of different personal traits and stregnths and weaknesses , outside influences etc, don't also buy that " same skill level" even exists.

BL

I'll post some footage this week of a fight I had on Sat. It's an argument for both sides.

I was paired up with a guy who had 42 lbs on me, weight in at 240.

The first 1/3 of the fight he was moving me all over the place. He had a ton of power and fast too.

I changed and adopted and was able to losen him up and I believe I turned the tide (you can judge for youself when I post the vid.) I eventually got disqualified.

So, I think I was able to over come the guys size by changing tactics and saving energy in the beginning and not fighting back right away (learned that the hard way at my last San Da fight.)

At the same time, give me 42 lbs and make it even, that would have been interesting.

Give me 84 lbs, to where I have a 42 lbs advatange, I'd kick that guy out just like that.

Size matters! If you're the small guy, you better be smart .... and a little dirty doesn't hurt either.

It's quite simple. Newton's second law of motion teaches us that force = mass X acceleration. So, given a greater mass (i.e. - the bigger person) with the same accelertaion will create greater force. Therefore size does matter.

The bigger they are, the harder they hit.
    "Are you thinking what I'm thinking Pinkey?"

"I think so Brain, but me and Pippy Longstockings, I mean, what would the children look like?"

size matters if the skeelz are there to go with it.

Having said that, I have outsparred, outboxed and plain beaten guys who were bigger than me on more than one occasion. some by over 50 pounds and some close to 100lbs larger with more time in learning kf than me.

I have also been beaten by guys who were both bigger and smaller than me.

It's in your head. Get over the suppositions and concentrate on your own skills.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by EvolutionFist

If you're the small guy, you better be smart .... and a little dirty doesn't hurt either.
    so it doesn't matter then ??
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 09-27-2004 at 06:33 AM.

Originally posted by Icewater
    It's quite simple. Newton's second law of motion teaches us that force = mass X acceleration. So, given a greater mass (i.e. - the bigger person) with the same accelertaion will create greater force. Therefore size does matter.

The bigger they are, the harder they hit.
    right, but if the small guy has the speed and accuracy, they shouldn't get to land enough to matter.
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 09-27-2004 at 06:34 AM.

BL - I never said that the smaller fella can't win, just that size makes a difference. Just like speed makes a difference, practise, halitosis, etc...
    "Are you thinking what I'm thinking Pinkey?"

"I think so Brain, but me and Pippy Longstockings, I mean, what would the children look like?"

I'll chip in on this one. As a small light guy, I have to indeed say that I think size does matter. Is it an unsurmoutable obstacle? No. But when someone tops you by 6" and 70 lbs (my average opponent), they have a hell of a head start before you even start sparring. Perhaps in a street fight, where the number of potential targets is increased it's a different case, but that doesn't change the fact that they're at an advantage. I'd say that being at a disadvantage in height/weight requires a much greater amount of skill to win the match. As a rough estimate, for every 5-6 inches and/or 50 lbs, you need to be 25-50% better/more experienced/luckier than the other guy.

Oh, and don't give me a bunch of bull about "blah blah blah, but you're faster!" Faster means that you run into their fist/foot at a greater speed. Speed means nothing if you don't know where to go with it.

Haha. Or at least that's what I tell myself when I get tossed around by those aforementioned bigger guys.

Size matters!

Would you rather fight a guy at 5'5 140lbs or a guy at 6'3 280? Enough said.

As for mass and speed, actually speed is more important when it comes to killing power. How big is a bawling ball? How big is a bullet?

Why does one hurt and the other kill? SPEED!!!!!!!!

E=MV^2 .... velocity is squared. That's where you want to put your money.

when the smaller guy possesses no skill at all the larger guy will man handle him like his bihatch. when the smaller guy is very skilled in a martial art and compentant in warding off attackers then size might not matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    right, but if the small guy has the speed and accuracy, they shouldn't get to land enough to matter.
    chances are the little guy won't be so fast that he NEVER gets hit...it will always matter. the little guy needs to be prepared for that.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by EvolutionFist

As for mass and speed, actually speed is more important when it comes to killing power. How big is a bawling ball? How big is a bullet?

Why does one hurt and the other kill? SPEED!!!!!!!!

E=MV^2 .... velocity is squared. That's where you want to put your money.
    yeah, but that's a mechanically produced speed vs. human produced. Put a bowling ball in a shotgun and shoot someone with it...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter