Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: size and strengh do not matter

Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
    Just by way of a friendly advice, girls don't have nuts.
    Nobody told me! I'm gonna hafta have a word with my 'girl'friend...

Tao Yin, enough with the bullying crap already... like the crazy broad doesn't give as bad as she gets. People only give her **** cos she's arrogant, egotistical and wrong... she's got bigger cohones than most as far as hypocrisy too so you can keep your bleeding heart nonsense.

I'm not hard, I don't pretend to be... and I never have arguments with people, but I do talk straight. If that offends you, excuse me.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Oh come on Mat, calm down, enough with your crap already. Bleeding heart. Hahahahha! As if I had one. You don't like being bullied I notice. In case you didn't notice, most people are arrogant, especially on internet forums. Oh, I forgot hence the edit..."Straight talk" usually reads as hard talk on internet forums, both literally and subjectively. I mean, you did tell me to stop sucking balls right? Anyway, nothing much offends me except stealing my children, so say what you like.

"We can do this all day."
    Last edited by TAO YIN; 10-04-2004 at 10:36 AM.

LOL, who's bullying me?

Shame there isn't a smiley for disinterest to show you just how agitated I am. If I were any calmer I'd be dead.

I talk the same in real life, and I never get into fights and rarely seem to rub people up the wrong way... tone can be a lot. Well, I've apologised to you once, and I'm just about done with explaining myself, esp to someone who has yet to contribute to the (any?) discussion...

"We can't do this all day cos it's 2:50 am over here!"

BTW I still stand by my, and many other people's assessments of BL, and though her posting style is mellowing a little she's still full of it, and though not every thread is turning into a BL fest nowadays it's still a high proportion. But even so if you think me telling you to stop sucking BL's nuts was in any way serious (since she is indeed a woman) you should change your pant-liner. Get over yourself. Good night.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Hahahaha, You get over yourself.

You know this is all a joke right, and has been, don't you? Yeah, it's about 3:00 am over here now. Oh yeah, I contributed to the (any) discussion, but maybe my questions were either taboo or no good. Anyways, take it easy. Good very early morning.
    Last edited by TAO YIN; 10-04-2004 at 12:08 PM.

Back on topic

Of course size and strength matters. They aren't everything, but they ceratinly count. If they didn't matter, then we would not need the martial arts to try to overcome those advantages.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

thank you Joe Doe for some common sense logic!!

7* they certainly do and particularly on these boards

Matt:- when you get over the fact you shouted about how you knew more about everything, were the undeniable residing expert and when you would like to give us explaination as to why you had no idea on a how to pertaining to your own art basics meets fitness training basics , that me of only 5 mths study in your art , but bulk health and fintness and qigong internal practice did , and your corresponding acknoweledgement of it, I'll be happy to pay your credit. Til then, deal with it. these days, there are schools everywhere and sorry Matty boy, you're not the only one who attended.

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    Matt:- when you get over the fact you shouted about how you knew more about everything...
    When? Show me where I said this...
    ... were the undeniable residing expert ...
    When? Show me where I claimed this...
    and when you would like to give us explaination as to why you had no idea on a how to pertaining to your own art basics meets fitness training basics
    When? Show me where I said this. I've been in my MMA class for only five months, I'm a complete newbie and not pretending to be anything else, and I don't know the name of one exercise... so shoot me. At least I assume that's what you're babbling about...
    ... that me of only 5 mths study in your art but bulk health and fintness and qigong internal practice did , and your corresponding acknoweledgement of it
    Which one of 'my arts' have you trained in? Aikido/jutsu 14 years and counting, and I don't remember you putting me right on anything about that, but if you'd like to discuss something feel free, this is a discussion board.

Or maybe wing chun, 9 years and counting, and I don't remember you putting me right on anything about that, but if you'd like to discuss something feel free, this is a discussion board...

If you are talking about the rib-power thread, when I posted something, you didn't refute or even directly address anything I said, then I agreed with something you said, and questioned the validity of something else... this is called discussion: adults have them.
    I'll be happy to pay your credit.
    I don't want anything from you, except that you shut up.
    Matty boy
    I notice you use the word 'boy' a lot. There are some of us on this board who are grown men and women.

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    what I'm saying though is A. the more "overly" muscled you are the less range of movement and speed you'll have ( scientifically trading that off for the strength in strike you may or may not get away pending opponents skill) and is of no use to the smaller , faster more accurate and focussed player.
    Haha, as other people have already said, that's so wrong!

In Arnold's "New Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding," there's a pic of Tom Platz (or was it Lee Priest?) doing full splits. I think Tom Platz has like the biggest quads ever, and Lee Priest is pretty **** big, too. The point is tho, these are professional bodybuilders who are more flexible than most martial artists. Granted, one instance doesn't prove a rule, but I've never seen any *evidence* anywhere (other than MA instructors who don't know what they're talking about) that having big muscles makes you inflexible.

You know what else makes you inflexible? Not stretching. How many regular people do you know that can bend forward and touch their palms on the ground? How many regular people can do the splits.

Now that I think about it, I think the only thing that makes you inflexible is not stretching. Lifting weights has nothing to do with it, really.

Second of all, the strength you get from added mass makes up for the extra weight of the mass itself. Have you ever seen the big fat olympic lifters who have 3 or 4 foot vertical jumps? Do you think they can jump higher than pro basket ball players because they're slow?

Ok, there are a few exceptions where VERY big people have limited range of motion. But since 99% of the population can't get that big even if they tried, it doesn't really matter. Besides, a MA would not want to get that big anyway so it's not the point. The time required EATING and SLEEPING to get that big would waste all his training time, not to mention eating 7-10,000 calories a day doesn't really make you feel like being active and training.

You know what's funny? All these MA'ists are all "ooooh, lifting weights gives you big muscles and big muscles make you slow." But look at how many fat MA's there are. How come no one ever says "man I need to lose weight. All this fat is making me slow?" I know muscle weighs more than fat, but still.

I guess MA's just want to feel powerful despite not lifting weights, so they spread these rumors. Either that or they're just REALLY misinformed.

btw, did I mention that the fastest athletes (olympic athletes) on the planet lift weights? Must not slow them down too much.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Second of all, the strength you get from added mass makes up for the extra weight of the mass itself. Have you ever seen the big fat olympic lifters who have 3 or 4 foot vertical jumps? Do you think they can jump higher than pro basket ball players because they're slow?
    Great overall post, however I disagree on this particular point. There is a curve of relative power gained over the added mass of added muscle. The slope of this curve is not continually positive the more muscle mass that is added. There is a 'sweet spot' which is unique for each individual and the purpose to which they are building their muscles.

Weight lifting develops fast-twitch muscle fibers. These muscle fibers contract..

guess how..

yes, quickly.

Weight lifting helps to develop speed and quickness by developing the muscle fibers that contract at a rapid rate.

Performing slow-motion, lengthy, martial arts forms develops the slow twitch muscle fibers.

Who do you think is going to be faster, quicker, and stronger?

Originally posted by Knifefighter

Performing slow-motion, lengthy, martial arts forms develops the slow twitch muscle fibers.

You mean tai chi?

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    There's something called SAID (specific adaptation to imposed demands). This means basically that whatever you make your body do, it will get better at. So if you want to be able to sprint, you practice sprinting. If you want to be able to run marathons, you practice distance running. Distance running will not make you a better sprinter, and sprinting will not help you run a marathon.

For this same principle, practicing slow, lengthy martial arts forms will only make you better at performing slow, lengthy martial arts forms. It won't make you better at normal speed stuff, and it won't make you punch faster or harder. The only thing it may do is reinforce neural pathways, which has some benefit, but that's another topic altogether.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Nice work, Ironfist - great posts.

KnifeFighter - why do you assume forms are slow?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Ironfist - great posts.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Haha, as other people have already said, that's so wrong!

In Arnold's "New Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding," there's a pic of Tom Platz (or was it Lee Priest?) doing full splits. I think Tom Platz has like the biggest quads ever, and Lee Priest is pretty **** big, too. The point is tho, these are professional bodybuilders who are more flexible than most martial artists. Granted, one instance doesn't prove a rule, but I've never seen any *evidence* anywhere (other than MA instructors who don't know what they're talking about) that having big muscles makes you inflexible.

You know what else makes you inflexible? Not stretching. How many regular people do you know that can bend forward and touch their palms on the ground? How many regular people can do the splits.

Now that I think about it, I think the only thing that makes you inflexible is not stretching. Lifting weights has nothing to do with it, really.

Ok, there are a few exceptions where VERY big people have limited range of motion. But since 99% of the population can't get that big even if they tried, it doesn't really matter. Besides, a MA would not want to get that big anyway so it's not the point. The time required EATING and SLEEPING to get that big would waste all his training time, not to mention eating 7-10,000 calories a day doesn't really make you feel like being active and training.

You know what's funny? All these MA'ists are all "ooooh, lifting weights gives you big muscles and big muscles make you slow." But look at how many fat MA's there are. How come no one ever says "man I need to lose weight. All this fat is making me slow?" I know muscle weighs more than fat, but still.

I guess MA's just want to feel powerful despite not lifting weights, so they spread these rumors. Either that or they're just REALLY misinformed.

btw, did I mention that the fastest athletes (olympic athletes) on the planet lift weights? Must not slow them down too much.

I've also read arnie saying he could never pull off an ma routine nor technical execution. Btw , I was actually referring to range of movement on the strike and splits at own pace are hardly the same thing to pulling it in a fight.

Mat: okay .....and yah, I was talking about the iron body / rib expansion on the wc thread. Fair statements, but if you're claiming that adulthood , grow up a little ha and make it consistent.