Thread: Tips for a newb to Shao-Lin

Tips for a newb to Shao-Lin

Hello all, I'm a 25 year old male in So Cali. I'm overweight (about 25 pounds), not very strong, and would love to learn the martial arts. Part of it is for self defence, since I'm a political organizer, and some people get REALLY irrational and violent when you try to discuss ideas of beauty; 2nd, I just love the arts. There is a serene feeling when you feel the chi in your body in a certain way . Time seems to slow down, you feel elated, and you feel like you understand more about the universe.

Anyways, I wanted to focus on learning the correct forms and having a solid foundation, so one day I can be a very good martial artist. A 'gifted' fighter friend of mine has told me about Power Lifting. You basically work your muscles till they collapse everytime, and it hurts like a MOFO. Regardless, it's a great way to build up strength.

My quesiton is simple. Give me all of your good hints you're willing to share. When I get into a front stance, it hurts real bad in my upper legs after a few seconds. How can I work on this? I want to dedicate myself to iron monk conditioning, any suggestions? In general, I'm hoping to get some knowledge and tips out of you guys so I can one day offer you a pretty good fight. let me konw, thanks!

Myth

"Anyways, I wanted to focus on learning the correct forms and having a solid foundation, so one day I can be a very good martial artist. A 'gifted' fighter friend of mine has told me about Power Lifting. You basically work your muscles till they collapse everytime, and it hurts like a MOFO. Regardless, it's a great way to build up strength."

Greetings. If you like your friends advice, party on. However there is IMO a better way. www.FulcrumFitness.com Check the links and read. Join the forum and read. If you like what you find, enjoy. If not, good luck in your training. BTW don't let what some say on here about Shaolin Do influence your perception of the other things offered. I'm not trying to sell you on Shaolin Do. Dave Randolph is one of the best strength and conditioning trainers around. He knows his stuff. As to the SD connection...not all Shaolin Do schools are created equal, and that's all I have to say about that. Peace & Happy training.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com